Ipswich in talks with Thomas Holy | Vital Football

Ipswich in talks with Thomas Holy

Decent move for him. shame we didn't have the foresight to get him a new improved contract about 18 months ago.

Decent move for him. shame we didn't have the foresight to get him a new improved contract about 18 months ago.

If I recall correctly, in Holy's first 6 months or so people were dismissing him as a liability and vastly inferior to Nelson.

Nevertheless, you are assuming that we didn't offer him a new contract. Once he started to become good and people started to take notice then it is quite understandable that he adopted a "wait and see" attitude. It was only 12 months ago that the club indicated Holy (and Eaves) were looking to see out their contracts.

Holy and Eaves both would have known we would offer them a contract even now so why rush themselves into agreeing a new contract. They would wait to see what was offered now and if no bigger club came for them, then they could consider signing a new contract with us.

That's true. I am assuming we didn't.
Another view is that we didn't until it was too late and they both realised that were likely to get better offers.

Lets focus on Holy. We signed him as an absolute unknown when he was on trial at Welling. Pretty soon after dislodging Nelson the club COULD have taken a punt and tried to tie him down for longer. His physical size means that he was always going to have a chance at playing higher. Half way through the season before the one that just finished we could have tied him down for longer, with a fair release fee.

Maybe we did, maybe we left it too late.

We are a selling club and we need to look after what few assets we have. On that point well done on getting the likes of Oldaker tied down. If the Harpist is any good I hope we get them tied down as well ;-) Don't want him/her running off to the Philharmonic on the cheap.

i Felt he was overrated. We’ve had much better keepers in the past.
Can’t blame him for wanting to go to Ipswich, even though they are now in our league

Whether it’s a forward/sideways/backward step to me depends on Ipswich’s financial standing. Moving to a club like Bolton could be seen as a step up because they’ve got a nice stadium, but they could go bust of be relegated next season.

Likewise, moving to someone like Sunderland would be sideways, as when Dack moved to Blackburn. But there’s a high chance they’ll be in the Championship in the next season or two.

I'm surprised he's talking with Ipswich, they're just another league one team after all. I thought his ambition would be to go to a team in a higher league at least.

I'm surprised he's talking with Ipswich, they're just another league one team after all. I thought his ambition would be to go to a team in a higher league at least.
It's only really about the money. If Messi was offered five million a week to play for a Spanish lower league outfit he'd take it.

It's only really about the money. If Messi was offered five million a week to play for a Spanish lower league outfit he'd take it.

Is it? If he was talking to Bury or Walsall then yeah it would be, but talking to a side that will be favourite to go straight back up, playing in front of 15,000+ every other week, with immense history, you can't blame him.

In your world we would tie everyone down on long term contracts in the hope/expectation that one or two will come good. Sounds like a recipe for financial disaster to me.

Nope only those who i thought could play at a higher level one day. Thats a key role for lower league clubs. Spot talent, develop it and sell it.

Is it? If he was talking to Bury or Walsall then yeah it would be, but talking to a side that will be favourite to go straight back up, playing in front of 15,000+ every other week, with immense history, you can't blame him.
Nah! IF we were able to offer him 25% more a week than Ipswich he would stay with us.

He`d be a good catch (sorry) for Ipswich, who`d no doubt be able to pay him more than we could. Tomas was a good signing for the Gills and I strongly suspect that when his confidence level is elevated he`ll play in the Championship or higher.