Ipswich (A) | Page 3 | Vital Football

Ipswich (A)

4 games and 5 or 6 pts should do it. Our points per game ratio would suggest we will get what we need and with 3 away games it may work in out favour.

Were good enough to get 3pts. 3 at the back again is a must

For me Shinnie is a great player but just isn't on the same wavelength as the rest of them.

I'll judge our January transfers after they've had a full pre season. It must be hard coming into a winning side.

We don't play to his strengths. Which makes me wonder why we signed him?
Perhaps the plan is next season whichever league we're in. Is to play a more passing game
Hopefully the summer recruitment will see us bring in more pace.

We don't play to his strengths. Which makes me wonder why we signed him?
Perhaps the plan is next season whichever league we're in. Is to play a more passing game
Hopefully the summer recruitment will see us bring in more pace.

We signed him because it was £10,000 plus Derbys player of the year last year?

Even if he isn't a success here we will more than recoup our fee.

Watching Plymouth myself and apart from the lad Kanara it's a game totally lacking in skill or excitement, I'd be happy playing them,very ordinary both teams!
You'd be happy playing the team that has spanked us three games running? You've a habit of coming out with some corkers on here, that might be your best yet! :ROFLMAO:

You'd be happy playing the team that has spanked us three games running? You've a habit of coming out with some corkers on here, that might be your best yet! :ROFLMAO:
When have Plymouth spanked us three times?In your dreams!!

I’ve watched him every time he’s played. Looks over weight. And looks like he doesn’t want to be here.

Overweight? Doesn't look like he wants to be here?
I don't think so.
Granted he's not set the world on fire and not managed to establish himself as a regular starter but I think you are letting your obsession about his ability go OTT.
Come on , we should be supporting these lads not looking for the next Naismith for no valid reason.

For me tactics and formation are secondary at this stage of the season. If we go there switched on and are first to the ball from the outset and win a few big challenges that will set the tempo and we will go on to win.

That was the big thing missing on Saturday. Yes the formation was switched and the tactics changed but Cambridge had more energy and zip and were first to every ball and that's where the game was lost.

That can be largely due to nerves, expectation, fatigue and various other factors. We just need to manage that and if we do then we'll win.

If your tactics aren't right then it wont enable your players to be first to the ball and set the tempo.

Your players can work hard and be up for it but if the game plan is wrong they will struggle regardless.

It's not to say the players have no accountability for their performance and wont play badly even if the tactics are right but the foundation for a successful performance comes from the managers tactics being executed well by the players. Both equally important.

If your tactics aren't right then it wont enable your players to be first to the ball and set the tempo.

Your players can work hard and be up for it but if the game plan is wrong they will struggle regardless.

It's not to say the players have no accountability for their performance and wont play badly even if the tactics are right but the foundation for a successful performance comes from the managers tactics being executed well by the players. Both equally important.

If the tactics aren't right then the players won't be able to get to the ball first!? What??

You write some good stuff on here kdz but I'm afraid that is the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard.

If the tactics aren't right then the players won't be able to get to the ball first!? What??

You write some good stuff on here kdz but I'm afraid that is the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard.

I thought your comment saying 'tactics are secondary' was a load of bollox too but i tried to be polite and not say it and just make a counter point instead. Your point was proven wrong by the vast difference in performance with the different tactics in each half against Cambridge. Also generally the difference in performance between the 2 formations in recent months.

If you dont understand how tactics can limit you getting to the ball first I'll give specific example against Cambridge.

In the first half our defensive mids were too deep and attacking mid were too high, leaving a huge gap in the centre of the pitch that has often been the issue with this formation. Our 2 midfield lines were so far apart it stopped them working as an effective unit and pretty much left Shinnie and Naylor contesting the middle of the pitch as a 2 instead of them doing it as a 5, which made pressing, picking up second balls and linking up attack and defence much more difficult. Which in turn lead to us going long and Cambridge clearing the ball into the gap we left in midfield and picking it up largely uncontested.

It afforded Cambridge time, space and the numbers advantage to comfortably be first to everything in the middle and control the game from there. Naylor and Shinnie both love to be aggressive in the press and win the ball before danger really happens - but you have to hunt in a pack with your team mates covering the 2 or 3 passing lanes while one presses and we didn't have enough men in the middle to do that. They couldn't push on to try and press the areas the attacking mid trio normally should be without leaving massive gaps behind them exposing the defence. They were restricted to just trying to shield around the edge of the box.

If the tactics had the defensive and attacking mids closer together in the middle then they'd have closed that gap and not been outnumbered. We'd have had men in the area we left open which would allow us to press more effectively and pick up loads more lose balls than we did.

Last edited:
It has to be said Sunderland are a bigger scalp than us but there was no sign of them raising their game today

Why do you say that Zakky,

Sunderland are marooned in this division and have been for some seasons, we on the other hand have recently come down from both the PL and Championship. Oh and there is the little matter of us being top of the pile at present, Sunderland may have more fans and a bigger ground but have little or no standing as title contenders.

Shinnie is a class player and has shown it, it’s our style of play that does not suit him, you could also argue the same with Cousins too, both good players, just need to find a way to find a system that can get the most out of those type of midfielders. We have relied too much on midfielders having to run until their gassed al season due to the huge gap between defence and midfield, or midfield and attack. Same can be applied with Bayliss, all just don’t turn poor over night.

Where we really miss Cousins is his height. With him in midfield we won all the second balls and dominated play consistently. Our midfield was the meanest in the league and we kept bundles of clean sheets. As for Shinnie, he's clearly very tidy on the football, rarely gives the ball away and can tackle. But his height doesn't do him any favours.

Also I don't think Shinnie and Naylor work as a partnership, I'm sure we played them together earlier in the year and they didn't work then either.

EDIT: Yep, it was that period between Gillingham (H) and Oxford (H). Oxford was the final straw after we went 0-1 down after we started as shit as we did on Saturday. Richardson moved Power into CM and we scored straight away. Then we never saw them paired together again...until Saturday.