Interesting News Around the Football League | Page 4 | Vital Football

Interesting News Around the Football League

Think we're going to find out how successful our clean sheet mentality approach is over the next few games playing some of the higher scorers in the division.

If we come through the next 7 games only conceding a few then we'll be in a strong position. If we don't, we won't be winning many of them IMO.

Last edited:
Think we're going to find out how successful our clean sheet mentality approach is over the next few games playing some of the higher scorers in the division.

If we come through the next 7 games only conceding a few then we'll be in a strong position. If we don't, we won't be winning many of them IMO.
Fair point, but usually the highest scorers put less players behind the ball, so they are easier to get round, usually down the wings, and behind.

I could see Mahoney, and maybe Nichols, being more influential in those sort of games. Could go either way.

We never go out to PLAY for a 1-0 win. We have a good defence for L2. We are not prolific scorers at the moment. We have a decent midfield. We are generally ok at protecting a 1-0 lead but have problems increasing that lead as opponents take more risk to get back into a game. I've always thought that Nadesan is the key to unlocking defences who are pushing up to get back level. Would personally like to see Bonne, Nadesan and Nichols start rather than throw forwards on after 80 minutes to try and rescue a point or 3.
This is not a criticism of NH as I'm loving the fact that we are at last competing in every game and sit in the auto spots. He's alright by me so won't take offence if he ignores my tactical advice.

Fair point, but usually the highest scorers put less players behind the ball, so they are easier to get round, usually down the wings, and behind.

I could see Mahoney, and maybe Nichols, being more influential in those sort of games. Could go either way.

The problem we have is finding a way to be better at creating chances without leaving ourselves exposed defensively.

The run of our next six or seven games we be a proper test as to where we are IMO. The worry is our record of coming from behind in games is woeful and our ability to score two or more in a game isn't much better, so keeping clean sheets is going to be key and a real test

So how do you explain Leyton Orient keeping 24 clean sheets last season? Nothing is completely in any team’s control (there are two teams going at it in each match) but some team’s WILL keep more clean sheets than others just as others WILL score more - by your logic everyone will end up scoring and conceding roughly the same.

View attachment 68644

Your sample is irrelevant though. Based on your logic there’s a 17% chance that if the wife and I have another baby it will be Chinese.
To me that shows the team with 3rd most clean sheets only had 6 more than the team with 17th most clean sheets. Over a 46 match season 6 is tiny.

Which was effectively my point.

To me that shows the team with 3rd most clean sheets only had 6 more than the team with 17th most clean sheets. Over a 46 match season 6 is tiny.

6 over a 46 match season is more than the 12.5% you were quoting from your small sample.

Nothing in what you wrote previously suggests that was your point.

Interesting that even the team in 18th kept clean sheets at more than twice the rate you believe to be possible?

Sir Keith came closest to success with a buccaneering approach. That:s once in every 50 years and it was a nearly moment, it was a great moment mind.

Why thank you 👍

6 extra clean sheets is tiny?

It possibly means 6 more wins than draws or draws than defeats. So somewhere between a 6-12pt gap. Maybe more.

Tiny? I think you need to learn a lot about statistics.

6 over a 46 match season is more than the 12.5% you were quoting from your small sample.

Nothing in what you wrote previously suggests that was your point.

Interesting that even the team in 18th kept clean sheets at more than twice the rate you believe to be possible?
For those who can't be bothered to calculate it, it's 13% versus my 12.5%, so you're actually saying I was rather close.

Why thank you 👍

6 extra clean sheets is tiny?

It possibly means 6 more wins than draws or draws than defeats. So somewhere between a 6-12pt gap. Maybe more.

Tiny? I think you need to learn a lot about statistics.
Yes, 6 from 46 is tiny. It's why we don't take the league table serious after 6 games because it's tiny.

The league is pretty even this season and the scores and statistics are backing this up.

Playing for clean sheets is suicide.

Yes, 6 from 46 is tiny. It's why we don't take the league table serious after 6 games because it's tiny.

The league is pretty even this season and the scores and statistics are backing this up.

Playing for clean sheets is suicide.
Ffs mate
A clean sheet mentality means that if you don’t concede, then you won’t lose.
Every team in every match does their utmost best NOT to concede goals.
Please tell us what kind of keeper or defender doesn’t have a clean sheet mentality.
What team would start a game thinking they don’t give a crap if they concede goals?
Please, just give this idiotic rubbish up and enjoy your evening 😄

For those who can't be bothered to calculate it, it's 13% versus my 12.5%, so you're actually saying I was rather close.

Jesus F Christ!! 😂😂

Your 12.5% was not the predicted variance between 3rd most clean sheets and 18th most clean sheets.

You were suggesting the chance (for all teams no matter their defensive prowess) of any team earning a clean sheet was 12.5%. Stats from the whole of last season suggest that clean sheets are far more common in fact even the team with 18th most achieved a clean sheet at more than twice the rate you previously suggested was possible.

You based this on three rounds of matches as if it was some comprehensive study and now you’re stating that 6 games / rounds of matches isn’t worth looking at 😂

To try and claim that anything here has proved you right (as you’ve done on a couple of occasions) is a bit worrying.

You’ve had and are continuing to have a bit of a mare!

My take on today is disappointed in the result but actually pleased with the set up and performance.
I actually felt we would lose today on the way NH sets us up (can never put us to defeat on Patchy’s prediction league) but felt that we could have won today. The referee didn’t help but to be fair to him one howler in the game that went against us.
More of today against a top team in Mansfield and we will be there or their abouts.
More positives than negatives for me

My take on today is disappointed in the result but actually pleased with the set up and performance.
I actually felt we would lose today on the way NH sets us up (can never put us to defeat on Patchy’s prediction league) but felt that we could have won today. The referee didn’t help but to be fair to him one howler in the game that went against us.
More of today against a top team in Mansfield and we will be there or their abouts.
More positives than negatives for me
Absolutely 👍
No team in our division has won more league games than us.
Yet some are still complaining.

Absolutely 👍
No team in our division has won more league games than us.
Yet some are still complaining.

Yeah. I was happy reading most socials that a lot of fans can see we have recently started playing a lot better football.

Yet still the same few tw@ts were straight up after the game saying “Harris out, too negative today, he’s useless”. WTAF??

Thought we were far.more positive yesterday and controlled the game for large periods We still seem to have the ability to go abit rogue where we just 'lose it' for 20 minutes but fair play we were the stronger side in the last 20 minutes

The refs performance has been summoned up by many, just a shame there isn't a way of fucking off twats like yesterday out of the game for good and still having a game.

Jefferies yesterday made a difference, we've missed his energy.

We still need to score more but the last few games have seen us play with more intent and a forward thinking attitude. Long may it continue.

You were suggesting the chance (for all teams no matter their defensive prowess) of any team earning a clean sheet was 12.5%. Stats from the whole of last season suggest that clean sheets are far more common in fact even the team with 18th most achieved a clean sheet at more than twice the rate you previously suggested was possible.

No, I didn't. I showed the percentage of clean sheets across all matches for the last few weekends was around 12.5%. I was showing how rare clean sheets are.

You then assumed I was implying the top team and the bottom team, at the end of the season, will have the same number of clean sheets.

The reason any of this was brought up is because people implied we play for 1-0 victories. So I made the point this is stupid, given how rare clean sheets are this season.

Last edited:
No, I didn't. I showed the percentage of clean sheets across all matches for the last few weekends was around 12.5%. I was showing how rare clean sheets are.

My apologies. I could have sworn you’d said:

‘Below I have pasted the results for the last 3 weeks of matches. 9 out of 72 teams kept clean sheets. This is 12.5%. In other words, the probability of conceding at least one goal is 87.5%.

Thought we were far.more positive yesterday and controlled the game for large periods We still seem to have the ability to go abit rogue where we just 'lose it' for 20 minutes but fair play we were the stronger side in the last 20 minutes

The refs performance has been summoned up by many, just a shame there isn't a way of fucking off twats like yesterday out of the game for good and still having a game.

Jefferies yesterday made a difference, we've missed his energy.

We still need to score more but the last few games have seen us play with more intent and a forward thinking attitude. Long may it continue.

I really like jefferies, I think he’s a proper Gills player. Doesn’t shirk it, full of beans & plays with a smile on his face