"I'm hopeful it's the former but it's a question any opponent will now be giving our centre-halves plenty of opportunities to answer." - HAVE A READ! | Page 2 | Vital Football

"I'm hopeful it's the former but it's a question any opponent will now be giving our centre-halves plenty of opportunities to answer." - HAVE A READ!

As well as conceding two similar unmarked headed goals on the edge of the six yard area, didn’t Crewe miss a couple of headers in the first half in a similar situation. ?
mandron missed one easy header in the first half, and one easy one in the second half. a different centre forward might expect to score both. crewe + scun also hit the bar from headers at a corner.
against crewe, after the goal we sorted the corner issue by using hopper to mark/block/challenge the big fella from corners. hopper not around to do that against scun. another reason a player like hopper is useful to have in the team.

I can't recall a recent Lincoln 'keeper who would have gone for either ball, tbh. As you say, it's very much the modern fashion not to, so I'm not sure Palmer can be blamed for that.

Would Farman or Vickers have come out for those balls? I doubt it very much.

I got the feeling from the warm-up games that Ross wasn't averse to coming for crosses. I feel a little sorry for him, he looked a decent 'keeper to me and also tried to use the ball constructively even when not playing it ultra short.

Either way, with no shout from the 'keeper, I'd want our CBs to be getting a challenge in, at least. Free headers are much easier to score than those under pressure, after all.
agree. no excuse for letting the man you are marking get a free header. but i am with those that prefer the keeper to come for a ball around six yards out, especially when it is floated in from around the corner flag. plenty of time to judge it, and take out everything on your way to catch or punch. defenders or the opposition.
in a few games we will see if palmer is that kind of keeper or not. i also thought his positioning on the line for the crewe goal was odd - but that is another story.

agree. no excuse for letting the man you are marking get a free header. but i am with those that prefer the keeper to come for a ball around six yards out, especially when it is floated in from around the corner flag. plenty of time to judge it, and take out everything on your way to catch or punch. defenders or the opposition.
in a few games we will see if palmer is that kind of keeper or not. i also thought his positioning on the line for the crewe goal was odd - but that is another story.

Absolutely, me too. But as Scotimp points out, they seem a breed these days - he had to refer to Peter Shilton!

It's something the defence need to sort out with Appleton, I guess.

It's only two games, so hopefully it's a kink that will be ironed out.

The modern tendency seems to be to stay on the line and let the defenders deal with anything else. I can't say I agree with that, but I'm a bit old-fashioned with these things.

Not necessarily that modern - frequently Peter Grotier's method of dealing with crosses was to stand on his line and shout "Get up, Sam!"

(I may have said this in the past)