iFollow 21/22 | Page 3 | Vital Football

iFollow 21/22

Well I'll make sure I don't bother renewing again and stop giving my money to the club.
Sorry for helping to keep our club going.

Right now those tickets would be available for sale and the club would make substantially more than a discounted season ticket over the course of a season. Right now, that is...in the past when attendances were 2k - 2.5k (and during the covid crisis) then a season ticket holder was the life blood that kept the club going...

I can't see how it would impact attendances either. In fact I think the opposite would be true, it increases the profile of the club and brings in newer fans and would also allow the club to raise more money from advertising.
The loss of revenue would be catastrophic.

Any agreement to stream matches at 3pm on a Saturday would have to be across the board. No club could go it alone. The clubs in the Premier League and possibly even the Championship do not rely on season and match tickets for the bulk of their income. It is within existing television deals. Any plan to allow them to stream matches every time will result in them eventually striking their own deals. They do not care about teams within the pyramid. Leagues below that level will simply cease to exist in their current forms within a decade, possibly shorter. Some clubs will fold, leading to fewer games for those surviving, leading to them folding or becoming part-time.
Lincoln are in the fortunate current position of being able to fill the ground for home games. That cannot be said of many other clubs and to maintain the stability of the football league pyramid, 3pm streaming must again be subject of a blackout.
I won't be able to get to every game this season, several in that 3pm Saturday slot. I've managed to put up with that for 45 seasons and will manage again.

I personally think allowing season ticket holders to put their ticket into a pot for resale for games they can't attend is a much better option and gives fans who can't afford a season ticket a shot at getting to a game...

That already happens, especially with high profile games with the cash back option.

I go to a few away games a season (or at least since the Cowley era 😉) where it’s reasonable to get to or maybe an important game. But if I was contemplating going to say Oxford or Wigan on a Saturday in January then I might take the easy option of staying in front of the fire so to speak if it was available. And I don’t particularly think I should have that luxury.

When a long distance exile I could not make weekday games but always tried to make sure someone was in my seat. Could there be a Saturday only season ticket for those living far away? Probably too complicated to administer for limited extra reward.

When a long distance exile I could not make weekday games but always tried to make sure someone was in my seat. Could there be a Saturday only season ticket for those living far away? Probably too complicated to administer for limited extra reward.

It's midweek games that are really hard to get to.
So nice idea but guess hard to do.

Same arrangements as 2 seasons ago? All matches outside the 3pm Saturday window subject to agreement of clubs.

The 2-1 New Years Day win over Pish was on ifollow, didnt seem to affect the attendance either.

All fascinating and considered contributions. I will try and assist, but at the moment, things are still not set in stone.

We will make an official announcement as soon as possible, but in the spirit of this post, please do not quote me as “Liam said…” if this doesn’t materialise exactly as I predict.

As I understand it, the EFL and key football stakeholders (PL, FA, broadcasters etc.) expect to start the season with full stadiums with some changes to the operating model (red zone, restricted player zones etc.) but taking a very elevated view of the stadium on match day; it will be as per pre-pandemic.

Broadcasting contracts have reverted to pre-Covid terms. As has UEFA Article 48, which mandates the UK to UK blackout, meaning iFollow can’t be streamed in the UK as per the temporary structure for last season.

To be clear about this year, the same exclusions will apply as before - Tuesday night games, for example.

Should the situation with Covid change, there is an expectation the stakeholders will need to be flexible, but that will be a discussion (negotiation) at that given time. It is commonly agreed there is no point arguing over scenarios 1-150 now when the nuance of each situation will be critical to the solution. All of that said, let’s hope this isn’t a discussion we have to have at all.

Regarding if streaming should be allowed generally in this new world of Zoom, Teams, Netflix, Prime and so on. If we scrapped UEFA Article 48, it would change the landscape of broadcast agreements, and this is a far bigger conundrum than just Lincoln City being able to sell a few more match passes to Mr & Mrs Smith in Devon.

1) We have to remember whatever is allowed for LCFC would also have to be permitted for Man U, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea etc. How many fans would elect to pay to stream Man City vs Tottenham on Sat at 3PM, as opposed to going to watch or even steaming Lincoln City Vs Accrington? Would lower league clubs lose more than they gain? What would be the short term net effect? Hard to say, but rather than gamble, given how perilous finances in the game are right now, I do think a safe play is a wise one.

2) The majority of our core funding is achieved by the trickle-down effect from TV deals, be that PL or even Championship. Without a central TV deal, or worse, with the big clubs able to stream direct to fans, we could see hundreds of millions lost from the financial ecosystem, which keeps lower league clubs alive.

3) Let’s say the above points 1+2 aren’t an issue, and we find a way for LCFC to retain a piece of the overall income; what happens to the younger fans of the future that will be binging on Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG from their iPads from the age of being able to use the technology. Whilst we MAY make a few extra quid now, and more fans may be able to see their beloved LCFC, where will the fans of the future come from if they have been brought up exclusively on global brands and superstars. We wouldn't stand a chance, and it would be a slow and painful road to extinction - in my opinion.

As you can see, all of this is very subjective; it’s also personal and emotive based on individual circumstances of right now. What we do know is that we need data and research to inform any future direction and certainly not act in haste or from gut feeling as we look to recover from a pandemic.

Our position is that we have asked for research to be conducted, and this is not the type that is delivered in 6 weeks. We favour extensive longitudinal studies that can be considered before we open the doors to something that could never be closed shut again.

I 100% appreciate this could be an inconvenience. I also understand many people were able to watch 45+ games home and away last year. There are many counterpoints to my musings above, hence the need to step back and not do anything (potentially) catastrophic in the short term.

I hope that summarises something that is not easy, to sum up in a few words.

Liam

Last edited:
All fascinating and considered contributions. I will try and assist, but at the moment, things are still not set in stone.

We will make an official announcement as soon as possible, but in the spirit of this post, please do not quote me as “Liam said…” if this doesn’t materialise exactly as I predict.

As I understand it, the EFL and key football stakeholders (PL, FA, broadcasters etc.) expect to start the season with full stadiums with some changes to the operating model (red zone, restricted player zones etc.) but taking a very elevated view of the stadium on match day; it will be as per pre-pandemic.

Broadcasting contracts have reverted to pre-Covid terms. As has UEFA Article 48, which mandates the UK to UK blackout, meaning iFollow can’t be streamed in the UK as per the temporary structure for last season.

To be clear about this year, the same exclusions will apply as before - Tuesday night games, for example.

Should the situation with Covid change, there is an expectation the stakeholders will need to be flexible, but that will be a discussion (negotiation) at that given time. It is commonly agreed there is no point arguing over scenarios 1-150 now when the nuance of each situation will be critical to the solution. All of that said, let’s hope this isn’t a discussion we have to have at all.

Regarding if streaming should be allowed generally in this new world of Zoom, Teams, Netflix, Prime and so on. If we scrapped UEFA Article 48, it would change the landscape of broadcast agreements, and this is a far bigger conundrum than just Lincoln City being able to sell a few more match passes to Mr & Mrs Smith in Devon.

1) We have to remember whatever is allowed for LCFC would also have to be permitted for Man U, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea etc. How many fans would elect to pay to stream Man City vs Tottenham on Sat at 3PM, as opposed to going to watch or even steaming Lincoln City Vs Accrington? Would lower league clubs lose more than they gain? What would be the short term net effect? Hard to say, but rather than gamble, given how perilous finances in the game are right now, I do think a safe play is a wise one.

2) The majority of our core funding is achieved by the trickle-down effect from TV deals, be that PL or even Championship. Without a central TV deal, or worse, with the big clubs able to stream direct to fans, we could see hundreds of millions lost from the financial ecosystem, which keeps lower league clubs alive.

3) Let’s say the above points 1+2 aren’t an issue, and we find a way for LCFC to retain a piece of the overall income; what happens to the younger fans of the future that will be binging on Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG from their iPads from the age of being able to use the technology. Whilst we MAY make a few extra quid now, and more fans may be able to see their beloved LCFC, where will the fans of the future come from if they have been brought up exclusively on global brands and superstars. We wouldn't stand a chance, and it would be a slow and painful road to extinction - in my opinion.

As you can see, all of this is very subjective; it’s also personal and emotive based on individual circumstances of right now. What we do know is that we need data and research to inform any future direction and certainly not act in haste or from gut feeling as we look to recover from a pandemic.

Our position is that we have asked for research to be conducted, and this is not the type that is delivered in 6 weeks. We favour extensive longitudinal studies that can be considered before we open the doors to something that could never be closed shut again.

I 100% appreciate this could be an inconvenience. I also understand many people were able to watch 45+ games home and away last year. There are many counterpoints to my musings above, hence the need to step back and not do anything (potentially) catastrophic in the short term.

Liam

Fantastic post Liam, thank you very much.

Liam

Yes thanks for all that Liam !

Liam

One of my ideas (come up with a few) was maybe an ifollow broadcast of games but not live...maybe later on Sat evenings (or evening after for midweeks). Appreciate that the likes of Quest have their goals programme, but maybe something that doesn't go against contracts with them.
Just some way of seeing whole games after they've been played. Something that both those at games in person and those not there could then watch.

Does that have any plausibility as an idea?
Something that might bring in extra revenue and enable all of us to see how players are doing (or watch again games we were at).

Liam

As always, responsive and very informative. Thank you for your post.

Thanks for your post Liam. The dribbling down of finance from Premiership TV deals is clearly vital at all lower levels for longer term sustainability. So is good club governance and an insistence that all clubs pay their taxes and don’t jeopardize their existence through excessive borrowing. City have done incredibly well in this regard in recent years thanks to having a strong Board and exceptional managers.

Having live streamed games on a Saturday would almost certainly damage attendances at grounds. It would particularly affect the less diehard supporters and youngsters more easily swayed towards famous clubs and international stars. Youngsters are the seed corn for the future and keeping/creating a great match day atmosphere helps “fix” them, hopefully for life.

Last season was a one off. Don’t think there should be live games shown on air at 3.00 pm on Saturday in the UK. Time to get the LNER rocking again for the new season and for iFollow to provide later extended highlights and full game recordings.

One of my ideas (come up with a few) was maybe an ifollow broadcast of games but not live...maybe later on Sat evenings (or evening after for midweeks). Appreciate that the likes of Quest have their goals programme, but maybe something that doesn't go against contracts with them.
Just some way of seeing whole games after they've been played. Something that both those at games in person and those not there could then watch.

Does that have any plausibility as an idea?
Something that might bring in extra revenue and enable all of us to see how players are doing (or watch again games we were at).
If you subscribe to the audio you should get the full match replay the next day anyway.

Liam
Thanks for the update, Liam. It would appear that our team off the field is as good as the one on it.

Last edited: