iFollow 21/22 | Page 2 | Vital Football

iFollow 21/22

Thin end of the wedge. The numbers attending games would get lower and lower and clubs would simply fold

Exactly right. Opening up iFollow 100% would net far fewer new fans than it would take away old. Casual fans won't care enough to buy in large enough numbers to make it profitable, and hardcore fans would be either going or would be motivated enough to buy a VPN.

Meanwhile, the several hundred people in two minds to go at the weekend will have the option: 'I could go and pay £25, but then again I might just sit on my arse and watch it for a tenner, and invite my mates Barry, Harry and Gary around as well."

LCFC might have extenuating circumstances where there are more fans than capacity (at the moment), but the vast majority of clubs do not and on a decision like this it's a matter for the league membership, not individual clubs.

Back to Hortin talking shite, missing the action and laughing at his own shadow.

"HRRRRRRRGH HRRRRRRRRRGH SCHRWWWWWWWGH HRRRRRRRRRGH.... IN GLORIOUS SUNSHINE! HHHHHHHRRRRGGGGGGH. Thought's Thommo?"

"OOOOOOH handbags. My wife could tackle harder than that nancy boy..."

etc

for those of us who live hundreds of miles away they could sell digital season tickets. A physical attendance is not practicable. if they do it for oversea they could do it for us out of towners.

Genuinely, how does anyone know you live hundreds of miles away? Because of your username on an anonymous website? Also, it's unfair on others who don't live hundreds of miles away but can't get to the game. No logical or reasonable way of policing that.

Exactly right. Opening up iFollow 100% would net far fewer new fans than it would take away old. Casual fans won't care enough to buy in large enough numbers to make it profitable, and hardcore fans would be either going or would be motivated enough to buy a VPN.

Meanwhile, the several hundred people in two minds to go at the weekend will have the option: 'I could go and pay £25, but then again I might just sit on my arse and watch it for a tenner, and invite my mates Barry, Harry and Gary around as well."

LCFC might have extenuating circumstances where there are more fans than capacity (at the moment), but the vast majority of clubs do not and on a decision like this it's a matter for the league membership, not individual clubs.

"HRRRRRRRGH HRRRRRRRRRGH SCHRWWWWWWWGH HRRRRRRRRRGH.... IN GLORIOUS SUNSHINE! HHHHHHHRRRRGGGGGGH. Thought's Thommo?"

"OOOOOOH handbags. My wife could tackle harder than that nancy boy..."

etc

Genuinely, how does anyone know you live hundreds of miles away? Because of your username on an anonymous website? Also, it's unfair on others who don't live hundreds of miles away but can't get to the game. No logical or reasonable way of policing that.

dead easy credit card council tax anything official same way there is a proof of address.

the logic is I can spend nothing following the imps. I can spend £4.50 a month to listen or I could buy a digital season ticket. I will never attend home matches (my last home match was Kidderminster at home when we won 2 nil) so the club will never have my gate receipts, surely better to take some money then no money.

same for locals who can’t go.

really you could argue we are doing the rest of the fans a favour. We are giving the club revenue and freeing up a seat to sell again.

dead easy credit card council tax anything official same way there is a proof of address.

the logic is I can spend nothing following the imps. I can spend £4.50 a month to listen or I could buy a digital season ticket. I will never attend home matches (my last home match was Kidderminster at home when we won 2 nil) so the club will never have my gate receipts, surely better to take some money then no money.

same for locals who can’t go.

really you could argue we are doing the rest of the fans a favour. We are giving the club revenue and freeing up a seat to sell again.

No. As I've said before, it is unfair on others, unworkable, and would be hugely damaging to football.

If I could go to every match I would, but I can't and so I don't.

I'm limited to a couple of home games a season when I'm up north with family and around 5-10 away games down south or on a decent train route. That's not been an issue for me before. In some ways, it's made seeing my team an event rather than just another Saturday.

And with UK iFollow season pass I can listen to the match live, and then watch it back on the Sunday. That isn't a bad deal. If I am really, really intent on seeing the action as it happens, my VPN works a charm.

It was comforting to know last season that there was something to look forward to in the midst of so much horrible shit going on, but it is not the model for the future. I am sure everyone will agree that it just didn't seem right, without the fans, without the whole ritual of going to the game. It was, as the Germans say, umheimlich.

Football's future is as a live spectator sport, with people in the grounds, creating the kind of atmosphere that we have missed. If you give anyone the chance to turn it into a sofa event, it will die. It's as simple as that.

No.

If I could go to every match I would, but I can't and so I'm limited to a couple of home games a season when I'm up north with family and around 5-10 away games down south or on a decent train route. That's not been an issue for me before. In some ways, it's made seeing my team an event rather than just another Saturday.

And with UK iFollow season pass I can listen to the match live, and then watch it back on the Sunday. That isn't a bad deal. If I am really, really intent on seeing the action as it happens, my VPN works a charm.

It was comforting to know last season that there was something to look forward to in the midst of so much horrible shit going on, but it is not the model for the future. I am sure everyone will agree that it just didn't seem right, without the fans, without the whole ritual of going to the game. It was, as the Germans say, umheimlich.

Football's future is as a live spectator sport, with people in the grounds, creating the kind of atmosphere that we have missed. If you give anyone the chance to turn it into a sofa event, it will die. It's as simple as that.

industries move with the times and integrate new technology new ways of transacting. In the future I see football even at our level having fans in the ground and fans viewing from far away.

let’s agree to disagree.

Idisagree. I think it would have little affect on attendances, and overall bring in extra revenue.

Just iFollow increase the price to £15-£20 per game, so the club receives nearly much as a physical spectator. I can't get to any live game, but I'd watch and pay for all 46 on iFollow.

There also must also be many home season ticket holders who can't travel to away games who would pay for iFollow on a match by match basis too. Especially having got used to the streaming technology last season.

I can't see how it would impact attendances either. In fact I think the opposite would be true, it increases the profile of the club and brings in newer fans and would also allow the club to raise more money from advertising.

Just look at Premier League. Crowds have gone up and clubs have had to build bigger and better stadia accordingly.

Well would people also object to games being on ifollow if instead they were shown later on after game had finished?

That would also be something fans in attendance could then watch to see game again.

And another suggestion...for those of us who have got a season ticket but are not able to go to all games (which we have already paid for, and I certainly cannot), could there not be a live ifollow available? That certainly doesn't lose the club money as they've already had it, and in fact would get them a further bit of income too.

And another suggestion...for those of us who have got a season ticket but are not able to go to all games (which we have already paid for, and I certainly cannot), could there not be a live ifollow available? That certainly doesn't lose the club money as they've already had it, and in fact would get them a further bit of income too.

I personally think allowing season ticket holders to put their ticket into a pot for resale for games they can't attend is a much better option and gives fans who can't afford a season ticket a shot at getting to a game...

I personally think allowing season ticket holders to put their ticket into a pot for resale for games they can't attend is a much better option and gives fans who can't afford a season ticket a shot at getting to a game...

Will that be running this season? I suspect mine will be going into the pot a few times if it is.

Curious question for those in the know, are those that pick up BBC radio Lincs still able to listen to match commentary on Saturdays ‘for free’? As a UK based exile, i can listen to Radio Lincs, but only online and as such Saturday commentary is blocked 3pm-5pm, hence i subscribe to the ifollow commentary. Way back when we were in the National league i could listen to Radio Lincs on a Saturday afternoon online.
I’m sure someone could claim this is unfair on exiles who live too far away to attend games, but not far enough away to be able to pay and view live streams (those overseas). BTW i’m happy to pay to listen and watch highlights Saturday evening/Sunday morning, but it would be nice to have the option to pay for a live stream on a Saturday.

Well that can be done too.

Or maybe combine both processes...an ifollow pass in exhange for seat going up for resale. Non-attending season ticket holder gets to view match...club can earn a full price seat as extra income.

Would make senses if it is. Last time there were only available for re-sale if it was a sell-out.

Curious question for those in the know, are those that pick up BBC radio Lincs still able to listen to match commentary on Saturdays ‘for free’? As a UK based exile, i can listen to Radio Lincs, but only online and as such Saturday commentary is blocked 3pm-5pm, hence i subscribe to the ifollow commentary. Way back when we were in the National league i could listen to Radio Lincs on a Saturday afternoon online.
I’m sure someone could claim this is unfair on exiles who live too far away to attend games, but not far enough away to be able to pay and view live streams (those overseas). BTW i’m happy to pay to listen and watch highlights Saturday evening/Sunday morning, but it would be nice to have the option to pay for a live stream on a Saturday.
I think the answer is likely to be no.

Well that can be done too.

Or maybe combine both processes...an ifollow pass in exhange for seat going up for resale. Non-attending season ticket holder gets to view match...club can earn a full price seat as extra income.

I think anything that provides an incentive to a season ticket holder to hang on to their season ticket when they aren't regularly going to games is probably a bad thing...

I think anything that provides an incentive to a season ticket holder to hang on to their season ticket when they aren't regularly going to games is probably a bad thing...

Well I'll make sure I don't bother renewing again and stop giving my money to the club.
Sorry for helping to keep our club going.

you get a repeated message that says something about broadcasting rights and no football. To listen to bbc lincs outside the area of transmission reception it is £45 for 12 months or £4.50 each month.

Except with sold out grounds (as ours effectively is), more people watching on ifollow would be bringing in extra income.
And even more so as our support keeps growing.

Really don't get why football would refuse extra income.

This is an argument I’ve brought up with Liam on a couple of occasions.
My extra few quid would be additional and not otherwise expected income. But I would continue to attend in person as and when I can get back to Lincoln.