How to fix the Scully Conundrum? | Vital Football

How to fix the Scully Conundrum?

hulloutpost

Vital Champions League
I'm a big fan of what he brings to the team and there are no buts coming from me. He has the natural knack of finding space in the box, can finish scruffily or with aplomb and has a fantastic 'never say die' attitude, akin to Harry Anderson. I'm just thinking what can we do to get a player with these abilities more incorporated into the side.

He's not a natural winger/wide player and his finishing strengths are wasted out there. He doesn't yet have the physicality or strength to play as the lone hold up striker and whilst he has shown a few flashes of creativity with some effective slide passes (such as today) he isn't really consistent enough with his decision making to play as a 10.

I would say at the moment he would be best suited as the second striker in an old fashioned 4-4-2 but MA isn't going to start with that system or change it so, just to get Anthony Scully into the side.

He has to keep working on his game to see if he can add the physicality or consistent creativity to become the first choice striker or 10, given time. If he can he will be a tremendous player, probably Championship level.

Currently though, it's such a shame we can't find a natural way to take more advantage of his very impressive goals per minutes played, talent.

Anybody got a solution?

Start with him instead of Morton?
As at Oxford? He scored in the first couple of minutes but thereafter we couldn't retain enough possession further up the pitch. He's strong, but not big or strong enough to play that role. Alongside Morton in a 442 works better for me, or wider left on 433.

I guess the attacking solution would be to play Rogers (or Brennan, maybe swap it over) behind Morton and then have scully and Johnson either side. Go 4231 rather than 433. Withdraw a centre mid and play them both in front of the back four. Don't ask me how to do it when Jorge's back 😂

It's obviously a different world but klopp has been toying with it to accommodate his most in form forward - Jota - in his standard front three (firmino, mane, Salah).

Just on form, yes it's attacking but I'd rather have scully in the side than Jones or Sanders while he finds his feet. Then Anderson comes on for whoever it's not working for; it's throwing more attackers at it but I think it's crazy that he doesn't start more games!

I guess the attacking solution would be to play Rogers (or Brennan, maybe swap it over) behind Morton and then have scully and Johnson either side. Go 4231 rather than 433. Withdraw a centre mid and play them both in front of the back four. Don't ask me how to do it when Jorge's back 😂

It's obviously a different world but klopp has been toying with it to accommodate his most in form forward - Jota - in his standard front three (firmino, mane, Salah).

Just on form, yes it's attacking but I'd rather have scully in the side than Jones or Sanders while he finds his feet. Then Anderson comes on for whoever it's not working for; it's throwing more attackers at it but I think it's crazy that he doesn't start more games!

Possibly tweak that when in possession, giving Edun licence (Grant when fit) to still move forward looking to link up with Bramill down the left and encourage Scully to come inside and take up positions/find space inside the box. Out of possession, Scully to play the wide pressing left midfield and support for the fullback.

I don't think it would be so effective down the right as I don't see McGrandles/Poole providing the same wide threat as the Edun/Bramill combination.

You then have to factor in, what it takes away from McGrandles game, who is our third man running, or in and around the central penalty area attacking option. I imagine you are looking to Scully to score and assist more goals deploying that system than McGrandles would, to justify it.

Scully could operate very well at the head of a diamond 4-4-2, but again that is not a formation MA is employing any time soon.

It is ironic that one of our best attacking players cannot easily to placed in our team as he hasn't as yet found his best position

I think the bigger conundrum is how to get Morgan on the ball more. He is electric the few times he does get it... not sure he combines well with Bramall. Edun back to left back and Scully left midfield?

Interesting that we opted for to keep Scully wide and put Brennan central yesterday. To me that indicated that MA really prefers Scully wide as he doesn't feel he's got the hold up play of Hopper or Morton or the quick feet of Johnson.