How to fix the Scully Conundrum? | Page 2 | Vital Football

How to fix the Scully Conundrum?

"I think the bigger conundrum is how to get Morgan on the ball more. He is electric the few times he does get it... not sure he combines well with Bramall. Edun back to left back and Scully left midfield?"

That is the big thing we have lost in my view with the changes at full back. Neither Poole or Bramall have any chemistry with the players in front of them, whereas TJ combined well with Johnson and Anderson, and Tayo with Rogers on the other side.

That may come with Poole and Bramall with a full pre-season, but after 15 games there is still not sign of it in my view.

Interesting that we opted for to keep Scully wide and put Brennan central yesterday. To me that indicated that MA really prefers Scully wide as he doesn't feel he's got the hold up play of Hopper or Morton or the quick feet of Johnson.
Definitely an element of that, with Scully also possibly more adept at the grafting back in the wide position than Johnson.

Anyway, back to topic, I believe that Anthony Scully should start on Tuesday, prove himself yet again then take it from there.

Definitely an element of that, with Scully also possibly more adept at the grafting back in the wide position than Johnson.

Agreed. I think we want to fit Johnson and Rogers in just because I think we can be terrible and one or them gets half a yard and we've scored.

But Johnson's best work is always going to be going forward - recalling that full back scoring for Sunderland when he switched off for 2 secs

Think we need more grafters for the run in , Anderson and Scully spring to mind more so than Rogers. Rogers maybe as an impact sub when teams are tiring? Only 18 bound to be inconsistent, not everyone can be Rooney or Owen at that age.

..or as Hortin would say - Eyoma
Reminds me of that interview with Shola Ameobi:
"Do you have a nickname?"
"No, not really."
"What does Bobby Robson call you?"
"Carl Cort."

Eyoma and Edun aren't even vaguely similar - one is tall and rangy, the other is shorter and more compact in style. They don't even run in a similar fashion.

Think I'd go with Rogers up-top with Scully down the left channel and Johnson the right - he's a big lad and would have more physical presence than Morton.

Reminds me of that interview with Shola Ameobi:
"Do you have a nickname?"
"No, not really."
"What does Bobby Robson call you?"
"Carl Cort."

Eyoma and Edun aren't even vaguely similar - one is tall and rangy, the other is shorter and more compact in style. They don't even run in a similar fashion.

Hasn't stopped Hortin mistaking one for the other...

Until we are at a level where we aren't relying on a big man holding up the ball with his back to goal then Scully is way behind Hopper in that regard.

Even yesterday it is obvious that MA prefers Scully in a position facing goal rather than with his back to goal so he put Johnson there instead.

For Scully to be a lone striker up front then it would have to be a much more fluid 4-3-3 (which Appleton likes) and not a traditional striker up front to hold the ball up type setup.

Most of the top Prem clubs are setup like this. Man City, Liverpool, Man U, even Leicester do not play the big man up on his own. They play a fluid 3 at the front running onto the ball facing the goal. The only exception at the top end of the Prem is Tottingham with Kane (which is quite likely why they aren't going to realistically challenge for the title any time soon.)

We could do it with a Rogers, Scully, Johnson front 3 but that would mean our midfield would have to be much better and it would require our front 3 to be much more intelligent in where they fill in without the ball. At the moment we are pretty reliant either on one of Rogers/Johnson breaking the lines on the counter OR a big CF holding the ball up with back to goal which more often than not means on a fast attack he will then be behind play once Johnson/Rogers have broken past him.

I suspect Appleton would prefer the Rogers/Scully/Johnson option but we aren't really good enough across the squad (at this level) to be able to play that way. It does require quality and consistency all over the pitch to be able to play that way. No weaknesses or ball watching.

Scully played all his West Ham games as a striker, Appleton signed him. Appleton plays 4-3-3.
I imagine scully is being trained to play wide at the moment, with a view to playing centrally as he gets more experience in the big boys’ game.

it is also a great point above, about the strength of our midfield, in relation to playing a small central forward. At the moment our midfield is weak. A midfield of grant, bridcutt, mcgrandles would create much more control, and get better passes into scully if he were central.