how much sleep do you get a night? | Page 3 | Vital Football

how much sleep do you get a night?

Funnily just read a men's health article on sleep and they also recommended zma.

went the docs... shes referred me to healthy minds and asked me to consider going on anti depressents for my anxiety... has anyone on here took them? shes asked me to think about it and get back to her in a weeks time? has anyone got any experience with these?

6-7 hours generally. I have gone through very stressful periods where I've had some of the problems others have been outlining.

My daughter has been suffering depression coupled with anxiety attacks recently. Went to the docs and they put her on happy pills after a 10 minute appointment! I wasn't overly happy and did a bit of reserach. Consequently paid for her to go to a qualified hypnotherapist and cognitive behaviour therapist. It's cost £65 a session and she's had 6 sessions. But it has worked incredibly well. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Forgot to say that she was going for days without sleep as well! Now sleeping like a baby.

Hate them colavfc, they put me on them to see if it helped my nerve end pains (neuropathic pain) and they fucked me up.

Honestly, plenty of research to show that exercise is better than those horrible things.

oh and pain killers or anti depressants are all some quacks ever do. Pathetic.

Try the ZMA I mention, or even just the zinc and magnesium to help sleep. Won't cost you much to try and at worst, just wont' do anything (ie you aren't taking any risk)

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/shop-by-category/vitamins-minerals/zma-capsules.html

I don't sleep all that well. I think a lot of that is to do with growing older. I probably get 6 hours most nights but it tends to be broken up in 2 or 3 hour chunks. I often have to stagger out to the loo. I'm perpetually tired. I work quite hard and also have pernicious anaemia.
My better half could sleep on a clothes line.

colavfc - 29/5/2014 16:36

went the docs... shes referred me to healthy minds and asked me to consider going on anti depressents for my anxiety... has anyone on here took them? shes asked me to think about it and get back to her in a weeks time? has anyone got any experience with these?

They have there uses. For me I am on anti-d's for the rest of my life to keep me somewhat stable. Too many breakdowns and too much happened in my life for me to come off them.

My Dr once explained what happens to me re mental health etc. The physical causes the mental. We have lots of little bouncing balls her called them in our body. They bounce around in our body at the right rate. Then something happens and they don't bounce as high. They will build back up to normal if a person doesn't have much trouble after. However the more things that happen through whatever the circumstances means over time the bouncy balls don't bounce the same, which drains our brain of what it needs, so we need anti d's.

In my case because it is whole of life, I will be on for the rest of my life.

They are O.K in the short term for a person who hasn't had them before. They are worth a try to see if they suit you or not. Many different types to try.

You can also get an alternative type from Holland & Barrret, which do help, I am told, people who have not really had problems before.

Anti-d's do have there place. It is a personal choice really. I struggled about being on them for years. I had to come to a place of acceptance with them

colavfc - 29/5/2014 16:36

I was put on Lexapro for around a year because of depression and anxiety. Depression is not nice, but anxiety I can't stand. I wasn't sure what they did for me to be honest. If anything at all.

I found that going jogging made me feel 100 times better than anything else. Now I swear by physical exercise. Feels like it kills the anxiety running through my body.

But everyone is different. I read horrible stories about peoples experiences with SSRI's but my experiences were pretty normal. A few harmless side effects when starting them and a weird brain zapping when coming off them.

But I agree that GP's are clueless when it comes to this stuff. Just stick you on medication. I had to find out by myself things that made me feel better.

So I would recommend proper exercise, diet etc. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (you can just buy a book on it and do it yourself, weirdly enough I found it works), and if you can afford it, therapy.

Best of luck dude, and to anyone else who has these problems.

I get approx 7 hours minimum, stretching to 8 occasionally.

I usually train every day and have no problem going off, if I miss sessions due to illness or life in general it can stop me dropping off quickly.

It seems that the main problem here for people is stress related, I can relate, I used to be there, until a heart attack changed my outlook on life completely.

Just ask yourselves a question, when did worrying about something or getting stressed ever help you? You are not in control of everything that has an influence on your life, so stop trying to be, adopt the what will be will be philosophy.

I now do not accept stress, easier said than done I know, but there are ways to help yourself, sex helps, exercise does definitely help, someone has already mentioned hypnosis, other things that work are acupuncture and meditation, these are all proven to work.

I am lucky, I love my job, I don't earn much, I scrape by, but I can assure you, I'm probably one of the happiest and most chilled people you will ever meet, so yes, money is needed to survive, it is the trap we were all born into, you're a slave, debt is piled on you and then you have to work your socks off to pay the bills and fill your lives with all the latest meaningless crap that the Jones's have got, because that's what most people do, but do yourselves a favour, make an effort to find something you enjoy doing, if it means you have to waste less money on alcohol and holidays, so be it, be happy all year instead of just your fortnight abroad.

As for antidepressants they have their place, but it's bull that you have to have them for life, there are ways and means of sorting your brain chemistry out, and exercise is the main one, that is a fact, I have dealt with more depressives than I can remember, there is nearly always a better option than pills, it's just some can't be arsed to get off their fat arses and do some work for a change, while others are just ignorant of the facts and that is a lack of information and instruction from health professionals.

Don't worry, be happy : )

interesting reads. thanks for the advice and experiences. alot here i can try. i do exercise alot anyway. i always have. its the one thing that gives you a buzz that would beat any drug. the mind is a very complicated little shit hey

I think our Juan has made one of the best posts i have ever read anywhere tbh :1: inspirational stuff dude that is,glad you came through that heart attack mate this world needs more people like yourself, you know your stuff and am awake to this cold world we live in :7:

That maybe the case for some Juan, however I trust my Doctor completely. I am very lucky to receive the care I do. We all are.

It maybe the case with many that they don't need to be on meds for life. I haven't denied that. However I trust my Dr professional view of which he specialized in mental health and does regular workshops, or whatever they call them in medical circles on. He knows my case history and is the best judge.

I have worked my butt off to get where I am emotionally with therapy and so on. I know you said some, not all, though. My 2nd last has to be on meds also for life as he bi-polar.

There is certainly more 'prejudice' with anti-d's/psychosis type meds than if it is for physical health. No one would stop taking their insulin yet people will struggle (including me) to be on anti'd's for mental health

I would like to point out that Doctors in the majority, are there to treat the symptoms, not fix the cause, that is what they are taught to do (there are some good ones!) they are paid to throw pills at you, the more pills they throw, the more they get paid, if you can keep someone on pills for life that is a regular income.

Also the more "workshops" they do, the more they get paid, they throw anti d's at patients like they are smarties, when the majority do not need them, they just need help to work things out, what they don't need is a lifelong medication habit, this causes dependence on the drugs, but you know that now don't you?

Get them hooked, keep the customer, they may as well be pushing heroin.

In my honest opinion, and in my vast experience, trusting a Doc completely, is a huge mistake.

around 8 hours but I wake for the toilet around 2am because of the amount of water I currently have to drink.

ClivetheVillan - 29/5/2014 23:51

I think our Juan has made one of the best posts i have ever read anywhere tbh :1: inspirational stuff dude that is,glad you came through that heart attack mate this world needs more people like yourself, you know your stuff and am awake to this cold world we live in :7:

Thank you Clive, but it is just the result of what life throws at you, as for the heart attack, best thing that ever happened to me, and I mean that most sincerely, I've appreciated waking every day since, it turned me into what I am today and for that I am truly thankful, there is a quote that pops up on this site regularly about a sandwich and enjoying every bite, to me that's life, I enjoy every bite.

It is also why I get annoyed sometimes by those who are reasonably healthy but choose to treat their bodies and their lives like shit, the body is a temple and should be treated with reverence, plus when you are fit and healthy you can enjoy yourself more and for longer! :35:

Juan Mourep - 30/5/2014 12:26

In my honest opinion, and in my vast experience, trusting a Doc completely, is a huge mistake.

A costly mistake I made, 'ruined' any chances of me having any fitness and all that. But they'll not ruin me.

If that makes sense.

I'd still not piss on the two main ones if I was on fire and if he wasn't already dead, I'd feel the same to the c*** brain surgeon trying to scam me into a private op (only to find out years later he didn't put me on what I was meant to be on, the critical list)

Rant over.

ClivetheVillan - 29/5/2014 23:51

I think our Juan has made one of the best posts i have ever read anywhere tbh apart from Fear's 80 000 posts which I live and breath by...

:12:

Thanks mate! :19:

I can confirm Juan is a good egg. Although I also believe he's a vegan, if so, a good egg but not an egg to be consumed.

I know many Doctors/surgeries can't be trusted and know many who have had bad experienced. I know we are lucky to have to surgery we have. It is has an excellent reputation.

Oh there is many medical people who I wouldn't want near me again. The Dr of my childhood was alcoholic and it was covered up, which ended in alot of people not getting treated early enough and dieing, which was what happened with my Father and his cancer. Granted that was many years ago and much has changed.

Also the so called home treatment team for my 2nd son made a massive mess up 2 3 years ago and 3 months later we nearly lost him, to finally get the diagnosis of bi polar.

I can not say a bad word for 3 of the Dr's in our surgery. We have been with our surgery since 1992. 2 of the others who were also there have since retired and were also exceptional. I can't comment on the other 4 Dr's in our surgery has I haven't built a relationship with them. They are seen in emergency.

What I do know is I can trust my Dr's that we has a family see. I am not saying they are perfect how they are very very good to us.

Yes I know all about med addiction obviously. If I had any worries over anything with my health my Dr gives me the time to discuss through and re meds too.

I can well understand some of the cynicism towards the medical profession, however regarding our Dr's we count ourselves very lucky

The Fear - 30/5/2014 23:20

Juan Mourep - 30/5/2014 12:26

A costly mistake I made, 'ruined' any chances of me having any fitness and all that. But they'll not ruin me.

If that makes sense.

I'd still not piss on the two main ones if I was on fire and if he wasn't already dead, I'd feel the same to the c*** brain surgeon trying to scam me into a private op (only to find out years later he didn't put me on what I was meant to be on, the critical list)

Rant over.

Why would you piss on someone if you were on fire? :29:

Surely, you'd be much too busy trying to not be on fire or to avoid getting headbutted by Scottish baggage handlers?

ha, THEY ... hey ho, I'd really not piss on myself either, be nice to be warm! lol