How long have you been supporting the Villa. | Page 4 | Vital Football

How long have you been supporting the Villa.

I see Merd is 29 so that rules me out too.

Can we get a lower than 29?
I have to add 267 months to that figure. Started supporting in the old second division the year we won the league cup. First game was at Filbert Street with my Grandad. We won 4-2 and he was a city fan.

Well I started the thread, I was born in 1947 not long after the war ended and grew up with rationing. The main outlet for the men was football. It was where they could go and smoke and swear and be part of something, dont forget many had served in the WW2 and been part of a regiment. After leaving, football replaced what they had known in being part of something special. Yes I am one of the few who watched the FA cup final. There was only one house in our street that had a TV. A 12 or 14 inch black and white but still it was the technology of the day. They sat all us kids on the floor in front of the box so really we had the best view. The men all sat behind on the chairs and sofas and the women were at the back of the room. I have no idea how many were packed into that little room, but what an atmosphere. Since then I have seen us win just about everything else. Before I turn up my toes up I just want to see us challenging again at the top. Bloody hell what a ramble. We are the Villa, we are the best.
A beautiful read - I only started going in '67 when I was already 11. I would love to hear more of your memories - like you I want to see Villa play some real stuff, beat the dross and give the big money boys a real run and stuff them at Villa Park.

My mate and his Dad took me to VP in 1990, I was 9, we beat Port Vale (I think in the cup) 6-0. I used to go reguarly with them for a few years, then not so much when my friend and I drifted apart until my teens when I made new Villa fan friends.

My Dad, the rest of my family, and my best mate are all Blues fans! My Dad worked in the Merchant navy back then so he was away a lot, my Mum always says she should never have let me go! Dad started to take me to Blues games when he could but it was too late, the magic of VP far exceeded anything the sty had to offer! I've only returned there in my adult life in the away end! Thank god for my friend and his Dad!!

Just looked up my first visit April 16th 1968. We beat Portsmouth 1-0. My now departed brothers took me while on leave from the army. Happy Days.

Earliest memories were the Santos game and the unforgettable (even for a 5 year old) Bournemouth match in 1972. We had some distant relatives from the Bournemouth area and the old man made a bet after that match on which club would be in the first division soonest. Needless to say, he won the bet by about 36 years!

Erdington, George best fish shop, Owen Owen, Erdington baths, Erdington high Street, star taxis at the top of York Road, great memories.
Roebuck on the High Street, Queen's Head at Six Ways, The Stockland at Stockland Green, Bromford Social on Church Road......... some of my favourite watering holes!!

And 'Mothers'.......
Like another poster, I was too young to get into Mothers, but my brother (HEITS) who was 4 years older went there every week and saw all of the great bands such as The Who, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and was even there the night that Pink Floyd played there and recorded live some of their Ummagumma album.

1979 first game vs Liverpool, taken by my aunt, uncle and 2 cousins, all reds. I remember seeing the pitch from the top of the stairs in the witton lane stand, it was magical. My old man has no interest in football and my villa connection starts from my mom's dad who passed away in 1975. I can remember back in the 70s most of the kids at Osborne were villa, a few glory reds and one nose. The 70s were magical and Ron Saunders is still the greatest villa manager ever. Andy gray is still the greatest.
I went to Osborne Road in the 60's and then on to Marsh Hill Tech

I found out about mothers years after. Apparently Erdington is a bit different now. I loved growing up there. I've spent the last 27 years in Nuneaton but it's never been my home.
Very different and the High Street is a ramshackled collection of charity shops and empty buildings. The church is still there and still looks good now it has been restored following the fire in the roof a few years back.
Funnily enough, I live not far from Nuneaton (about 7 miles) and it does feel like home. We lived in Coleshill in the 80s and 90s and that changed from being all Villa to being mainly the Scum.

Birth. But first game was 1977. I was hooked. The sound of the wooden floors in the trinity upper (my feet didn't reach the floor when sitting) when people stamped their feet. Awesome.

We lost 2-1 to Everton. Odd that I now know some of the players that were on the field that day. They broke my heart that day! LOL

Like another poster, I was too young to get into Mothers, but my brother (HEITS) who was 4 years older went there every week and saw all of the great bands such as The Who, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and was even there the night that Pink Floyd played there and recorded live some of their Ummagumma album.

Lol.... I was on the cusp. I went about 5-6 times, but only managed to get in once.

It seemed to depend on who was on the door.

And 'Mothers'.......
Didn’t know George Best had a chippie in Erdington? (feeble attempt at a joke)
Me? Born in 1950, my old man told me that my first match was 21/12/55 vs Preston. Won 3-2. Remember absolutely zilch of that but clearly remember some guy either dressed as or carrying a huge stuffed tiger round the pitch when we played Hull City in the FA Cup a month later. This club has been my life. It has lost me job opportunities, cost me my marriage and other relationships, and brought me close to bankruptcy trailing around Europe. Know what? Wouldn’t change a bloody thing!
Proud to say my son and nephew are carrying on the obsession.
So, 65 years next year. Hope my health holds out. UTV, COYL, SOTC, FTA, VTID.

Been supporting Villa since I started breathing. I am reliably told that I went with my family to Victoria Square to see the team come back with the FA cup in '57. Being 2 at the time I have no recollection but that would definitely have happened as my dad was Villa through and through. Thankfully I do remember the magnificent European cup win as I was there to see it. A fantastic weekend that will stay with me forever.

Must have been 1979. Year Andy Gray left so I would have been 5.

First game was early 1982 sat in Witton Lane against BHA we won 3-0.
Remember the 81 win and vividly remember watching 82 in a hotel bar in Spain with a load of English one side and Germans the other side. I was only 8.

Strange times due to having a baggie dad and brother I got dragged to the whorethorns quite a bit in the 80's. This was compounded by my Grandpa's company having a box in the old Rainbow stand there aswell. Didn't really matter then as a football mad kid, live football was a treat. I wonder if it is now with the tv saturation.