Home Match-day Routine | Page 3 | Vital Football

Home Match-day Routine

I sing a few lines of "We are Imps, we are Imps!" to my very patient wife who asks for a text with half-time update, though she hates football.Next a walk to Lincoln Castle Square where I meet my fellow upper Co-op season ticket pal. We walk down Steep Hill-one of the nicest streets in England-then straight on through the Stonebow etc where it becomes not quite so nice. A left turn and there we are: nervously optimistic. I miss this journey to the ground.

All very straightforward here. Wake up late (usually with some semblance of a hangover) and get out for a decent 3-4 mile walk with the dog. Get home, stick a chilli or curry in the slow cooker and grab a shower.

Meet other friends at the station and get the 12:41 to Lincoln. Stroll down high street and get to Millers for circa 1:30. (Yes, I know it's a dump, but it's the only pub whose TV's are dedicated entirely to horse racing!!! ... and it's close to the ground). 3-4 pre-match pints and some (usually unsuccessful) online wagering on the racing, before strolling into Sincil Bank at about 2:50/2:55.

Post match will be 3-4 pints somewhere..... Treaty of Commerce or the the 'rather interesting' Witch & Wardrobe before the 7:05 train home.

Upon return..... do my level best to avoid the promptings of one or two of the keen ones who might want more beer and get home for 8pm to enjoy said chilli/curry lovingly prepared that morning.

I am astonished the Miller's Arms is still open.

Feels a bit like people who post their life story on facebook. Not set in stone each time but here goes:-

Visit to the City with Mrs R and dog + match = Travel M62 across to A1 and turn South toward Lincoln. Comfort break at Blyth services while Alfie sniffs every blade of grass near the overspill carpark.
On to A57 (first to spot the cathedral wins a toffee) to Nettleham fields to collect son and daughter in law. Meal in Duke William, leave car, wife & DiL on Bailgate and walk down Steep Hill /High St. to the Bank.

Solitary visit on match days = Yay! car speakers set to level 'deafening', taking M1 then A57 to Lincoln. Park at son's and get lift to down into town. Ingratiate myself to some of the posters on this forum, who for their own sanity would probably be happy to remain nameless, have a drink in The Treaty and or drink/eat in The Ritz. Walk on to the Bank.

Night games = Leave Work, zoom zoom (or crawl crawl) along M62, A1, A57 to Burton Road chippy. F&Cs sons house, a very quick cuppa and grab a lift to the Bank. Get home midnight-ish, spend 3 hours on here, youtube etc re-living the game 'cos I was smart enough to book the following morning off work.

Seems a long time ago now but I'm sure it will return. As I saw posted elsewhere - "Feel sorry for people who don't like football, this is how they feel everyday".

I take the same route as you from the M67 and I feel your pain about the Mottram bottleneck in particular although there is nothing that can be done about Woodhead Pass in our lifetime. Fire up Google Maps and bring up Junction 3 for Hyde. Come off there and take Victoria Street which leads onto Matley Lane. That brings you out onto the A6018; drop down the hill to the lights, turn left there and you are back on track. I use that route every time and has saved me hours as you can imagine. It sounds more complicated than it is. Basically when you come off at the top of the ramp 3 at Hyde turn left, take the first right, follow the road all the way to the end and drop down the big hill until you recognise where you are. Simples as one of those meercats would say.
EDIT - oh yeah watch out for the variable speed cameras on the M1 near to Meadowhall they are very sensitive unlike the ones on the M62!

Cheers! Much appreciated!
Now all i need to do is rem ember these instructions for sometime next year when we're allowed to go again!

I take the same route as you from the M67 and I feel your pain about the Mottram bottleneck in particular although there is nothing that can be done about Woodhead Pass in our lifetime. Fire up Google Maps and bring up Junction 3 for Hyde. Come off there and take Victoria Street which leads onto Matley Lane. That brings you out onto the A6018; drop down the hill to the lights, turn left there and you are back on track. I use that route every time and has saved me hours as you can imagine. It sounds more complicated than it is. Basically when you come off at the top of the ramp 3 at Hyde turn left, take the first right, follow the road all the way to the end and drop down the big hill until you recognise where you are. Simples as one of those meercats would say.
EDIT - oh yeah watch out for the variable speed cameras on the M1 near to Meadowhall they are very sensitive unlike the ones on the M62!

Found it on Googgle maps!

I love Northumberland probably one of my favourite English counties. I have quite a bit of family who live up and around Anwick. Mind you as my auntie says for 7 weeks of the year it's the best place to live in the world the other 45 weeks it's bloody cold and the wind never stops blowing! :lol:

Fortunately I have always managed to get work around here so apart from my Uni days in Leeds (the very kind Buckielugger used to pick me up on his way past to go to the footy) I have always lived in the best county in the country - Lincolnshire :grinning:
Tanners Arms is one of my absolute favourite pubs. I love Northumberland too.

Well, usually I get a text, phone call or message on Facebook from @SalfordImp moaning that I'm not at the pub on time!

:lol::lol:

There have, however, been many occasions where it has been the other way round!

Does anybody on here actually live in Lincs, (apart from Jules) seems reading this not many do. Is that some kind of psychological thing about joining a forum?

Does anybody on here actually live in Lincs, (apart from Jules) seems reading this not many do. Is that some kind of psychological thing about joining a forum?
I guess this forum has a more mature population and a lot of fans will have moved away due to work, family etc.
The younger fans are probably on facebook and twitter and whatever else us old gits don't know anything about.

I guess this forum has a more mature population and a lot of fans will have moved away due to work, family etc.
The younger fans are probably on facebook and twitter and whatever else us old gits don't know anything about.
About right. Maybe, as Notty said, the mature bit could be questioned.
I just don't understand the Facebook/Twitter things. I see my mates at the match 2 or 3 times a month. If we'd spent the previous 2 weeks fannying about on Facebook WTF would we talk about on match days? An hour in the pub is about enough for a catch up and a few old stories!

12.00 Go to the Parklands (2 mins walk from home) for a few
1.20 Home for dinner (sausages in baps)
Watch Grandstand
2.30 Leave for Sincil Bank
2.40 Park in Cranwell St. Walk along Queen St.
2.50 Take up position on SIncil Bank side.
3.00 Watch match
4.42 Match ends. Walk back to car.
4.55 Listen to rugby scores on Sports Report. Old Shootershillians beat Cheltenham. Richmond beat Met Police etc.
5.00 Football scores
5.05 Arrive home
5.40 Football Echo arrives

If we're going 'retro' then:

10.00am - Get up, bacon & egg for breakfast
12.15pm - Train from Nottingham to Lincoln, arrive 1.15pm
1.25pm - Buy pork pie from Curtis's to have for breakfast the following day
1.30pm - Littlewood's café (or Woolworth's in the days when their café was still open) for pie, chips & peas followed by fruit pie.
2.00pm - Have a look in a couple of shops then walk down the High Street and along Sewell's Walk.
2.30pm - Buy programme from seller past the end of Sewell's Walk - or under the railway bridge if raining - then into the Railway End.
3.00pm - 4.40-ish pm - watch game as Bazzer says then walk back the way I came.
5.25pm - join the scramble to buy Football Echo from seller on High Street.
5.30pm - Read Football Echo in bus station café on St Marks Street while having cheese roll and tea.
6.00pm - Train back to Nottingham - read programme
7.45pm - Arrive home having called at fish & chip shop to collect fish, chips & mushy peas (I had a bigger appetite in those days).

Post-match routine was liable to vary over the years according to changes in train times to Nottingham.

If I had £10 for every time I've done that I'd be able to get to more home games nowadays!

About right. Maybe, as Notty said, the mature bit could be questioned.
I just don't understand the Facebook/Twitter things. I see my mates at the match 2 or 3 times a month. If we'd spent the previous 2 weeks fannying about on Facebook WTF would we talk about on match days? An hour in the pub is about enough for a catch up and a few old stories!
I joined Facebook for Imps info but haven't a clue how to use it.
I can see posts from the club and coincidentally, an exiles group and a banter group. But I don't post on it. I only have four friends on it and they were set up by someone else, one as a joke. People leave far too much personal info on things like Facebook. To each is own.

I joined Facebook for Imps info but haven't a clue how to use it.
I can see posts from the club and coincidentally, an exiles group and a banter group. But I don't post on it. I only have four friends on it and they were set up by someone else, one as a joke. People leave far too much personal info on things like Facebook. To each is own.
Yes, I joined briefly so I could hear some of the manager interviews.
For some reason, I had a notion that I needed to "friend" someone to activate it so I did so with a good friend at work. About a week late, the wife said I needed to get more friends. She showed me my page, which was full of pictures of this lad with his kids and dog, and said people will think you have some kind of man crush on this bloke!
At that point, I completely lost what little will I had to take part in the Facebook nonsense. I still have a lovely picture of Dodger the spaniel in my wallet though.