High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk | Page 26 | Vital Football

High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk

Restaurants are another. The costs of running the kitchens, the amount spent on electricity, increasing food prices and then staff all contributing to the problems.
Then the trickle down to the small independent shops on the high street who have been struggling for years. Hard times ahead for all.
The restaurant I run pays around £3000 per month for electricity. The contract is renewing in October and the "best" we can do will see the price rise to £9200!!!

How the fuck will places survive such a threefold increase?! Fortunately, we have the funds to be able to pay, but there will thousands of restaurants, cafes, etc. who will be finished.

The restaurant I run pays around £3000 per month for electricity. The contract is renewing in October and the "best" we can do will see the price rise to £9200!!!

How the fuck will places survive such a threefold increase?! Fortunately, we have the funds to be able to pay, but there will thousands of restaurants, cafes, etc. who will be finished.
I picked out restaurants because of the energy costs and will be affected most but as you say small cafes etc.
I went for a haircut a couple of weeks ago and she was saying how she was struggling. The shop doe'nt have windows so the lights on all day, business rates and rent just crippling. I said you will have to put your prices up and she said if I do then people will just come less often. A no win situation for them.
I have a younger brother and all he gets is his state pension and because its not a means tested benefit he gets none of the help that as been given out.
We all need help and that includes small businesses.

I was a bit surprised to read that Sutton Coldfield council had turned down an application for new apartments where a nightclub used to be in the Gracechurch shopping centre. Not been for 20 years or more (used to live over there) but I'm told it is quite a mess now with loads of closed shops etc. So why would they object to an apartment block that would bring people and therefore, demand for shops, cafes etc.

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/news...oldfield-to-be-transformed-into-flats-3966209

I would have thought that was exactly the business model all high streets and shopping centres should be following.

I think the local council are keen on keeping the town centre as 100% retail focused if they can . That said a mixed used development would be a good fit, retail GF and upper floors resi seems a no brainer to me

Paperchase calling in administrators. I'm surprised after going into one of their stores that it's taken this long.

Although it wont affect the UK the Evening Standard are reporting that Argos are to close all its stores in the ROI.

I was a bit surprised to read that Sutton Coldfield council had turned down an application for new apartments where a nightclub used to be in the Gracechurch shopping centre. Not been for 20 years or more (used to live over there) but I'm told it is quite a mess now with loads of closed shops etc. So why would they object to an apartment block that would bring people and therefore, demand for shops, cafes etc.

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/news...oldfield-to-be-transformed-into-flats-3966209

I would have thought that was exactly the business model all high streets and shopping centres should be following.

I think the nightclub you're on about was named something else I can't remember 39 years ago. It will be the one where I met the ex it sounds. Shudders at the thought

hen Britishvolt, a startup hoping to transform UK car production by making batteries for electric vehicles, rented a seven-bedroom £2.8m mansion with a swimming pool and Jacuzzi-style bath for workers, some employees were uncomfortable with the impression it gave of lavish spending.

Founded in 2019, Britishvolt began with grand ambitions – hailed by the then prime minister, Boris Johnson – to become the first domestically owned battery factory in a car industry that employs tens of thousands of British workers, but where the big manufacturers are all overseas companies. The planned factory would have been able to supply 30 gigawatt hours (GWh) of batteries a year, enough for hundreds of thousands of cars.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...lt-britains-battery-startup-uk-car-production

I wonder why it all went wrong?

hen Britishvolt, a startup hoping to transform UK car production by making batteries for electric vehicles, rented a seven-bedroom £2.8m mansion with a swimming pool and Jacuzzi-style bath for workers, some employees were uncomfortable with the impression it gave of lavish spending.

Founded in 2019, Britishvolt began with grand ambitions – hailed by the then prime minister, Boris Johnson – to become the first domestically owned battery factory in a car industry that employs tens of thousands of British workers, but where the big manufacturers are all overseas companies. The planned factory would have been able to supply 30 gigawatt hours (GWh) of batteries a year, enough for hundreds of thousands of cars.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...lt-britains-battery-startup-uk-car-production

I wonder why it all went wrong?

That's why Boris hailed it then. He was looking for another free holiday.