Here we go! | Page 1595 | Vital Football

Here we go!

Big government and taxation has flowed from Covid in the main and wars and pandemics have driven higher taxation. generally speaking Conservatives aspire to lower taxes
I'm exactly the demographic that should be voting Tory in terms of economic position.

But I wouldn't dream of doing so because for 13 years the Tories have raised taxes and cut wages at every turn.

Long before the pandemic

Well actually my savings in the main I have used to buy into investment trusts which have returned considerably more than spit, all in an isa so no tax whatsoever. Don't like to appear clever but you did make some statements that needed answering. I would guess that millions more people who have had to look out for themselves through the years are in a similar position and would never vote for a party that tends to give their hard earned to " the oat for noters". I wouldn't anyway.

rubbish. with an occupational pension you were probably in the top 20% as minimum to start with.

you are clearly doing better than most which appears to drive your belief that you are better off. however, you possibly could have done even better without brexit. no?

Well actually my savings in the main I have used to buy into investment trusts which have returned considerably more than spit, all in an isa so no tax whatsoever. Don't like to appear clever but you did make some statements that needed answering. I would guess that millions more people who have had to look out for themselves through the years are in a similar position and would never vote for a party that tends to give their hard earned to " the oat for noters". I wouldn't anyway.

To be fair, anyone could have read a recommendation in the Telegraph to invest into Scottish Mortgage and done quite well over the years; it doesn't exactly make you a financial wizard.

But it's having the money to do that in the first place which is key, and your gold-plated Final Salary pension which you accrued while doing bugger all work has probably allowed you to do that.

Good for you though jbacsta, everyone would like to be in such a position of comfort in retirement and I hope to be myself.

I'm exactly the demographic that should be voting Tory in terms of economic position.

But I wouldn't dream of doing so because for 13 years the Tories have raised taxes and cut wages at every turn.

Long before the pandemic
My wife and I are the same. As civil servants we are no fans of Labour either as they started the attack on our pensions. In comparison though, the Tories have been a disaster for the civil service.

People look at the numbers and think investment in the civil service has increased. It hasn’t. In real terms investment has gone down. The Government as a whole looks at the Civil Service as the enemy.

The bottom two grades are having to have pay rises in order to keep up with minimum wage. The first management grade is about £3k over that level. That is what happens when you don’t give pay rises for a decade.

I am paying out more than I ever have before and I am getting less in return. The only reason I am in a better position is through promotions and even then the Tories have found other ways to penalise me.

I am. Rolling in it, me.

same question then- have you done better or worse do you think. doing well/good/great is not quite the same as doing better.

we are comfortable. was hoping to retire this year at 50 but due to the shit show I might have to do another 5 years.

My wife and I are the same. As civil servants we are no fans of Labour either as they started the attack on our pensions. In comparison though, the Tories have been a disaster for the civil service.

People look at the numbers and think investment in the civil service has increased. It hasn’t. In real terms investment has gone down. The Government as a whole looks at the Civil Service as the enemy.

The bottom two grades are having to have pay rises in order to keep up with minimum wage. The first management grade is about £3k over that level. That is what happens when you don’t give pay rises for a decade.

I am paying out more than I ever have before and I am getting less in return. The only reason I am in a better position is through promotions and even then the Tories have found other ways to penalise me.

at least some understands the question. yes I am also ok but could have done far better had we not fucked about with brexit and trashed the economy. I am aware that a majority are not ok. that's almost certainly reflected in the polls.

To be fair, anyone could have read a recommendation in the Telegraph to invest into Scottish Mortgage and done quite well over the years; it doesn't exactly make you a financial wizard.

But it's having the money to do that in the first place which is key, and your gold-plated Final Salary pension which you accrued while doing bugger all work has probably allowed you to do that.

Good for you though jbacsta, everyone would like to be in such a position of comfort in retirement and I hope to be myself.
Never claimed to be a financial wizard, just telling you what I have done. Final salary pension while doing bugger all work? I have probably worked ( including manual work ) more than you could imagine sunshine.

Never claimed to be a financial wizard, just telling you what I have done. Final salary pension while doing bugger all work? I have probably worked ( including manual work ) more than you could imagine sunshine.

That's not true. I can quite easily imagine you 'working' 2 hours a day and spending the rest smoking, playing cards etc like most of your generation did.

rubbish. with an occupational pension you were probably in the top 20% as minimum to start with.

you are clearly doing better than most which appears to drive your belief that you are better off. however, you possibly could have done even better without brexit. no?
Rubbish? That's a good start to a reply isn't it. I have no idea how many factors which are out of my control are and have influenced my current financial status, Just telling how it is for me, mine and my circle of friends who according to you must be unique in not wanting to slash their wrists.

Rubbish? That's a good start to a reply isn't it. I have no idea how many factors which are out of my control are and have influenced my current financial status, Just telling how it is for me, mine and my circle of friends who according to you must be unique in not wanting to slash their wrists.

the point I was making is that you feel better off but that seemed to be because you are doing better than many others. however the real measurement would be whether or not you would have done even better without the tories.

of course some few people are genuinely better off under the tories- donors, mistresses and pub landlords to name a few.