Here we go! | Page 1507 | Vital Football

Here we go!

I imagine those little convos with your Labour/Lib Dem Chums by the coffee machine slagging off your Tory colleagues some of them maybe Brexiteers or anti woke. Must be so tempting to do the odd undermining thing. Suppressing that rage of the injustice of it all must be so tough on a day to day basis...
The fact that you think we spend our days discussing politics is quite funny. On that basis I can imagine you dissing Labour with your burger flipping mates.

But thank you for providing further proof that you are off your rocker…

To be honest I think it is an untrustworthy article when the words 'temporarily sending' are used.
I couldn't find that bit. Do you mean this bit?
"An end to El Niño conditions is expected in a few months, which could allow global temperatures to temporarily stabilise, and then fall slightly, probably back below the 1.5C threshold."

Which bit is untrustworthy?

Fecs you were questioning me about my EV yesterday. I bought the EV specifically because I thought it would help the environment. Have I made a mistake?
If you must travel, it's a case of picking your poison at the moment.

Feco is right about most things, of course, but missing a few points such as the benefits of having 51% of your energy not coming from burning gas in power stations and the economy of scale for mass power generation (minus transmission losses) rather than using an ICE in your car. There are many other plusses and minuses to add in too. I don't think anyone sensible believes that electric vehicles solve all the problems (or even many of the problems), but they are lower carbon over the life cycle, so it depends if you care more about damage caused by mining (which clearly needs far better regulation), or carbon emissions.

El Nino.

Let me know when I will be boiling
I don't think you really know what that is or what effect it has had on the measured temperatures that you "don't accept".

Tell me how strong el Nino was last summer (in additional degrees), when you recall it being so cool?
Is it responsible for 8 months of record breaking temperatures on the trot?
Have there been no other el Nino's before so this one is responsible for the record breaking temperatures?
In fact, how strong was the 2023 el Nino compared with other recent el Ninos?

Since you won't bother to look up any of that, it has been a weak one this time, only half as strong as those of 1997 and 2015. It was having <0.5 degrees effect globally last June and still <1 degree by September.

So replying with "El Nino" is inadequate.

I couldn't find that bit. Do you mean this bit?
"An end to El Niño conditions is expected in a few months, which could allow global temperatures to temporarily stabilise, and then fall slightly, probably back below the 1.5C threshold."

Which bit is untrustworthy?
The bit in the report saying it’s a temporary breach of the 1.5 deg C target.
I don’t think it’s going to be temporary.

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment.

Last edited:

Feco is right about most things, of course, but missing a few points such as the benefits of having 51% of your energy not coming from burning gas in power stations and the economy of scale for mass power generation (minus transmission losses) rather than using an ICE in your car. There are many other plusses and minuses to add in too. I don't think anyone sensible believes that electric vehicles solve all the problems (or even many of the problems), but they are lower carbon over the life cycle, so it depends if you care more about damage caused by mining (which clearly needs far better regulation), or carbon emissions.
EVs are greener over the comparable life-cycle of ICEs, but keeping an old car on the road is, in many ways, the greener option, than replacing with a new EV.

It is unfortunate that the current trajectory of building huge offshore wind farms is making the ambition of getting rid of gas generators impossible.
The grid, in its current form, has to be balanced across its entirety. Wind nor solar can do that, it needs to be something big, heavy and spinning very fast….gas and the remaining bits of Drax and Lynemouth provide the majority of that capability.

If you want to get rid of gas, there needs to be a clean start.
Localised smart grid systems, wind, solar, storage and energy from waste plants combined. This removes transmission inefficiencies, makes the grid much easier to balance.
And I’m sure that highlights why those in Government, and those in the energy business are not willing to do anything other than pay lip service to the needs.

I actually think that destroying the environment in the search for ever diminishing resources is as catastrophic as not tackling CO2 emissions.
For instance in Drax had started planting trees at the rate they do now, on the first day of generating, they would have been ‘carbon neutral’ a decade ago….and that assumes they were burning 30000 tonnes of coal per day.

It needs a fresh look rather than pissing £bn more up against the wall of corporates.
How do you think that will pan out?

It is unfortunate that the current trajectory of building huge offshore wind farms is making the ambition of getting rid of gas generators impossible.
The grid, in its current form, has to be balanced across its entirety. Wind nor solar can do that, it needs to be something big, heavy and spinning very fast….gas and the remaining bits of Drax and Lynemouth provide the majority of that capability.

If you want to get rid of gas, there needs to be a clean start.
Localised smart grid systems, wind, solar, storage and energy from waste plants combined. This removes transmission inefficiencies, makes the grid much easier to balance.
And I’m sure that highlights why those in Government, and those in the energy business are not willing to do anything other than pay lip service to the needs.

I actually think that destroying the environment in the search for ever diminishing resources is as catastrophic as not tackling CO2 emissions.
For instance in Drax had started planting trees at the rate they do now, on the first day of generating, they would have been ‘carbon neutral’ a decade ago….and that assumes they were burning 30000 tonnes of coal per day.

It needs a fresh look rather than pissing £bn more up against the wall of corporates.
How do you think that will pan out?

Google ITER. Nuclear Fusion.
We are working on components for that too. A power plant is planned to be built in Retford of all places.

Shut it @AdebolaCornflakes

'kin Labour, 'kin teachers.

No wonder we are spawning a generation of snowflakes...

A Labour-run Welsh council has shut dozens of schools despite no snow falling.

Thousands of pupils in Flintshire, North Wales, were told to stay at home as 72 primary schools, 11 secondary schools and two special schools remained shut owing to an amber warning for snow, with up to 10 inches forecast in some areas.

But parents have criticised the council for the mass closure after no flakes fell.

The Met Office has issued alerts across all four home nations, with amber warnings for snow in place from 8am until 3pm in north Wales and northwest Shropshire, and from noon until 6pm in the south Pennines and Peak District.There are five yellow warnings in total, with potential travel disruption and possible power cuts expected across the UK owing to snow, ice and rain.

A yellow warning for snow covers most of the north of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland and a yellow warning for rain is in place for the south of England.

I'll go hydrogen next then but we were thinking of part exchanging the EV now and it sounds a way off. We drive mostly urban so it is the right choice. I guess over a 3-4 year period the lack of emission at car offsets the up the chain environmental impact?

I love the garden-trees, shrubs, plants. Even that's an expensive past-time now that we've had to cut back on
Toms, you need to do what is best for you. I think we are a while away from hydrogen being viable.

One of the reasons for me moving to France was the desire to be off grid. It’s much easier and cheaper to do here.
I’m an engineer so it’s a bit easier for me to do, I feel sad that many would love to try and be more self sustaining but are fed an off shelf, expensive package rather than a solution.
By year end I hope to be 100% wood heated, and large percentage of cooking done by wood ovens too. The wood will be sourced from the property.

Electricity will be a mix of wind turbine ( https://thearchimedes.com/) and solar feeding a bank of lead acid batteries. Water will be harvested from rain….of which we have plenty in Brittany. Summer hot water from solar thermal.

And the cost will be around the same as a 16 panel solar system in the UK.

Food home grown as much as possible.

Hopefully that will take me through my dotage.

As long as I have enough power to watch Forest….

Google ITER. Nuclear Fusion.
We are working on components for that too. A power plant is planned to be built in Retford of all places.

Shut it @AdebolaCornflakes

Yeah, at my last station West Burton on the A side.
It will be great if it happens, but there is a huge amount of work to do to make if ‘drivable’ to balance the grid as opposed to being base loading.

They need to demolish the old plant first, but it will still probably be quicker than Hinckley C….2030 now apparently.

Yeah, at my last station West Burton on the A side.
It will be great if it happens, but there is a huge amount of work to do to make if ‘drivable’ to balance the grid as opposed to being base loading.

They need to demolish the old plant first, but it will still probably be quicker than Hinckley C….2030 now apparently.
This is all way above my understanding ,but particles have to be heated to temperatures up to 150 million deg C.
These are unique engineering challenges that are being faced.

Toms, you need to do what is best for you. I think we are a while away from hydrogen being viable.

One of the reasons for me moving to France was the desire to be off grid. It’s much easier and cheaper to do here.
I’m an engineer so it’s a bit easier for me to do, I feel sad that many would love to try and be more self sustaining but are fed an off shelf, expensive package rather than a solution.
By year end I hope to be 100% wood heated, and large percentage of cooking done by wood ovens too. The wood will be sourced from the property.

Electricity will be a mix of wind turbine ( https://thearchimedes.com/) and solar feeding a bank of lead acid batteries. Water will be harvested from rain….of which we have plenty in Brittany. Summer hot water from solar thermal.

And the cost will be around the same as a 16 panel solar system in the UK.

Food home grown as much as possible.

Hopefully that will take me through my dotage.

As long as I have enough power to watch Forest….
Don't drive to where we have a gaff (not that you wouldn't be welcome)...

Families driving to south of France face £400 cost for tolls and green charges

Net zero levies have made travelling to Nice by car twice as expensive as flying there

Yet we are about to boil. And that’s why it was needed. Evidentially that’s a massive exaggeration too .

Where was he getting the 28 billion from? What taxes was he increasing to do it ? Do you know?

Wasn't along the lines of ending non-dom status, reforming inheritance tax and vat on grammar schools?

Toms, I don't know your personal circumstances, if you live and drive relatively short distances in an urban environment, an electric car is probably a good choice. If nothing else, city air is going to be cleaner.

The point I was trying to make is that these 'green' options are just marketing. They may be green for the user, but they certainly are not further up the supply chain(s)

In the UK you cannot buy electricality from the grid that hasn't got some form of fossil fuel generated element within it. That's not how the grid works, you cannot be selective where the electricity has come from.
For instance, right now any car being charged via a grid connection is taking 49% of the charge from gas generating stations.

So whilst your emissions are zero at the car, the environmental aspect has been passed up the chain. Gas is a dirty fuel, even before it is burnt, and as much of the UK supply is now shipped from the Middle East, it has an even bigger environmental impact.

Then there is the damage that extracting the metals that are used in making the battery and electronics for modern cars.

Heavy and precious metals extraction environmental damage is huge, both on the ground where the removal takes place, and the huge energy cost required to process it into a usable material.
The concentrations of the metals and minerals is very small within the rock burden where it lives, so vast swathes of ground have to be extracted to release a small amount of the stuff you are after.

Then there is the chemicals used to release the stuff and purify it...it always seems to end up with cyanide being released somewhere in the mix,

As I said yesterday, check Obuasi, that damage is 30+ years old, it will still be there when I'm gone.

The bottom line is, if you travel, it is not eco friendly, and the EV route is, in my view, the wrong direction.
What #strett is working on is a much better way to deal with travel emissions, I think that is the way forward. And replacing all the bloody trees that have been cut down.
You wouldn't remove a lung an expect to be as physically well as when you had two...why do that with the earths lungs?

Love it. I call it the 'everything's connected' lecture. You'd probably not be surprised how many people don't get and don't want to get it.