Has to be a joke surely? | Page 6 | Vital Football

Has to be a joke surely?

ANd for Deano.

Were you at Reading away 2016 ?

If you were, you will understand the DLBIA - if you weren't I will tell you why it is now our anthem. Anthems are not contrived, you cannot force fans to take to something - they evolve.

In October 2016 - we were sitting in the bottom 3, facing what eventually happened to Sunderland. RDM was sacked with us in the bottom 3 and SB came in.

We went to Reading and were coming away with a rather lucky 1-1 draw until, in the last minute, their defender had a head rush, and fouled one of us. Adomah stuck the resulting penalty away - in injury time, and the final whistle blew, almost immediately.

Reading announcer then , just quite randomly played DLBIA - and it just totally, 100% summed up every Villa fans feelings - near on 15 years of total demise was summed up in one record - DLBIA - in other words, forget Ellis, forget Lerner, forget DOL, Garde and the lot - it is time to stop the booing, the hatred, the chanting - and it was time to look forward and pull together. 3000 Villa fans and the players then belted out DLBIA louder than when we beat Blues !

Call it fate, but that one penalty, and that one outpouring of emeotion to a song 1 minute afterwards changed our club, and changed our club forever.

Its not about who they support, or where they are from - I can't imagine the Surrey born Jeff Beck, the Arkansas born Johnny Cash or the London Born Norman 'Hurricane' Smith were Villa fans - do you.

Its about what a song means to a club, how it came about - and DLBIA is now a part of Villa history - and should always be.

I know exactly why DLBIA resonated with fans... at that time! Yes we'd been served up tripe, things were turning around and it was a very fitting song at the time.

Is it still relevant? No.

Is it a Villa song? No.

It was a good song for the position we were in but I think it's had it's day.

Bare in mind I'm a MASSIVE Oasis and Noel Gallagher fan. I love the song, I love the Villa. I loved when it was sang back then coz it meant something.

But to do it every week... nah not any more. Some things have a lifespan, like the Petrov 19 minute applause.

You're right, only about 4K fans know the meaning of DLBIA. I was lucky enough to be at the Madstad that night as you were, and it just felt so fitting after the Randy years.

What absolute bollocks. I wasn't there but I know the meaning. You don't have to be a rocket scientist. How patronising.

Each to their own. I loved seeing the celebrations between fans and players. Seeing Grealish lifted aloft and Terry mobbed. It was fun. The players certainly loved it. Think the players preferred that that some hand clapping to be honest.

Football is supposed to be fun. When did everyone turn into miserable bastards?

When they joined this site.

:rofl:

Football is supposed to be fun. When did everyone turn into miserable bastards?

It was poxy. That's not being miserable, just a different opinion on it. I bet half of them won't be there again next season if we don't go up!

having a different opinion on it is fine.

In fact we don't really have a different opinion on it, as I think it's a bit poxy too as we haven't acheived anything yet.

However, I could see the players and fans enjoying themselves and that was great. It didn't ruin anything for me.

The thing that grates me most is we've spent so much time talking about it rather than the fact we're going to Wembley.

It's an irrelevance really, everyone celebrates in a different way, but to let it ruin your night or ruin your celebrations... jeez just get over it (not you by the way but others).

It's really not a big deal.

Nevermind the DLBIA Manc nonesense. A proper salute would be the whole of Villa Park belting out a rendition of Fairies Wear Boots by the Sabbath. Now that would really be something:rocker: Here are the lyrics (among Geezer's finest IMO) in case anybody fancies having a go at Wembley. Skip to 1.30 those of you with short attention spans. Alrigghht nooww.

Goin' home late last night
Suddenly I got a fright
Yeah I looked through a window and surprised what I saw
A fairy with boots and dancing with a dwarf
All right now!
Yeah, fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
Yeah I saw it, I saw it, I tell you no lies
Yeah fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
I saw it, I saw it with my own two eyes
All right now!
Yeah, fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
Yeah I saw it, I saw it, I tell you no lies
Yeah fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
I saw it, I saw it with my own two eyes
All right now!
So I went to the doctor see what he could give me
He said son, son, you've gone too far
'Cause smokin' and trippin' is all that you do
Yeah!

having a different opinion on it is fine.

In fact we don't really have a different opinion on it, as I think it's a bit poxy too as we haven't acheived anything yet.

However, I could see the players and fans enjoying themselves and that was great. It didn't ruin anything for me.

The thing that grates me most is we've spent so much time talking about it rather than the fact we're going to Wembley.

It's an irrelevance really, everyone celebrates in a different way, but to let it ruin your night or ruin your celebrations... jeez just get over it (not you by the way but others).

It's really not a big deal.

I guess I was already a bit testy so to speak, as I'd had to up with you throughout the match ;)

to be fair, for me, it's been good, plenty of debate makes the site tick very nicely! It's not that big a deal, I agree, but it has been a good talking point!

Water under the bridge now but was a bit miffed at the time, hopefully we’ll win next Saturday and we can all have a good sing song then to replace the one we lost on Tuesday! (Assuming there’s no idiots trying to get on at Wembley, DON’T DO IT!)

Nah, sorry NV are you taking the you know what ?.lol ! .
I'm not sure the best song to sing about a football team is Fairies wear boots!!!.
We would be a laughing stock !

What absolute bollocks. I wasn't there but I know the meaning. You don't have to be a rocket scientist. How patronising.

Didn’t mean that to be patronising, so the other way of looking at it - if you weren’t there on that night you’d rightly have no idea why the hell we sing DLBIA. It is a strange one why we would take on a Manc band song as our anthem

It’ll probably die a death soon anyway and then our anthem will be those few words yippiiiaaa yipipiiiooo

There’s a whole song to go with Holte Enders in the sky, I’ve heard it once before. Does anyone know the words? Would love to know, surely it wouldn’t be beyond our supporters to learn it and have a proper anthem to sing rather than just a few words.

Who cares if oasis are from Manchester and support city. Harry Lauder was Scottish and they sing his song ‘keep right on’ ??‍♂️

As I walked to Villa Park one dark and dusty day,
I spied a poor old City fan running far away,
I said to that poor City fan, it looks like you must die,Cus you have seen the glory of Holte Enders in the sky.
yippee aye aaay yippee aye ohhh holte enders in the sky.

We chased him through the terraces,we chased him down the streets,
But little did that city fan know that death must be his fate,
Cus Villa fans rule Birmingham and City fans know why,
Cus they have seen the glory of holte enders in the sky.
Yippee aye aaay yippee aye ohh Holte Enders in the sky.

That's what I laugh about at times people moaning we only sing about Blues truth is we always have.

Nah, sorry NV are you taking the you know what ?.lol ! .
I'm not sure the best song to sing about a football team is Fairies wear boots!!!.
We would be a laughing stock !

Who moi? surely not :grinning:

Seen plenty of fairies in boots since the sky money entered the game. The way modern players are wrapped up in cotton wool and roll around at the slightest suggestion of a tackle involving contact, I thought it might be appropriate. :tophat:

Yeah as you said I love Noel. Man crush overload....

But I know if he was interviewed and asked about it he'd rip the piss, and rightly so.

it was right for the moment, but I think it's had it's day and shouldn't be our 'anthem'