Has our recruitement been good enough? | Vital Football

Has our recruitement been good enough?

Ruskingtony

Vital Squad Member
This is being discussed mainly on transfer rumours thread. So to leave that thread for rumours/actual transfer news only I thought I would start this thread. To discuss current and previous recruitement by the club.

As Gattuso famously said in an interview a few years ago:

“Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit”.

An impossible job to be on the money with every transfer. Look at the top 10 most expensive PL signings. Out of Grealish, Lukaku x2, Pogba, Maguire, Sancho, van Dijk, Havertz, Pepe, and Kepa you would only say van Dijk had returned any where near the level expected.

We don't know enough about what goes on behind the scenes/closed doors to give an informed opinion on this

As Clanford wrote the other day....

You have to listen carefully to what Kennedy says
We are not doing our recruitment with what's left over from the big boys in our league we are going head to head with them. Whether that's wise or unrealistic I don't know but it shows that if the right player becomes available we are prepared to pitch alongside anyone else and that the board are prepared to back DoF, coach or whoever is making the signings.

Now, persuading them to come here on 2 or 3 grand a week or whatever it is as opposed to going to Wednesday or Ipswich and sitting in their stands on 5 or 6 grand a week is a different matter and would be dependent on the player but we have a good fanbase, an excellent pitch and good training facilities so we have all the ingredients as to why players would want to come here but for whatever reason its just not happening in terms getting in the players we need that are going to influence a real difference in the position's we all know we're short in.

In my opinion its is like most clubs at this level average.

We have had hits and misses.

I do believe our Permanent signings have been poor if our philosophy is to sign on a contract and try and make some money on them in the future. This profit money may be by the future % fee once the club we sell them to have moved them on again as we do not seem to be receiving big fees for players. Doubtful at the minute we will get much of a return on Edun/Scully future sell on clauses.

Oxford are a good example and seem to sell regular players for decent money and will reap benefits from future sell-on clauses.

In my opinion loan signings seem to be getting worse in quality for me.

With younger players I do not think you can ever tell how good they are going to be in your system playing week in week out.

Whittaker - Average for Us, Class for Plymouth
Morgan Rogers - Class for us, Average since he left us.

Personally I believe in getting the best squad of players as you can. Age should not be a factor a decent 24-26 year old who starts performing whilst playing well for us could still demand a decent fee just like a younger player could.

If you listened to Bradford fans in the summer Vernam was going to be far more missed for them than O'Connor. Where as for us i believe O'Connor is a player who could make us some money where as Vernam should be let go if there are any takers.

Football is all about opinion and unfortunately for Mark, Jez and the Board is not an exact science so its always going to be tough to get the majority of signings correct.

For a recruitment team to be really successful, the recruitment team and the manager have to be in perfect harmony.

That was not the case last season when MA clearly did not rate some of the signings. I think we are in the same situation at the moment too - MK had little involvement in the summer recruitment and, having had four months to look at them, doesn't rate some of them either.

The one thing I would say though about our recruitment is that many of their permanent signings take a while to settle in. I didn't rate Brammall for the first six months he was here. I didn't rate Edun when he first started playing left back. I didn't rate Poole for quite a while until he moved to centre back. All were, or will be, sold at a profit. That may still happen for some other of the current playing staff that have struggled so far this season.

There have been many solid signings that have done,or did, good jobs for us, taking injuries out of the picture - Montsma, Jackson, Walsh, Hopper, Bridcutt, MacGrandles, and a few others.

Where I do think they could have done better is on loan signings. Some have been exceptional. Some have been no better than players that were already with us..

I would say pretty good with few great players like Johnson ,Toff (can't believe DC brought him for free ... ) , Walker, Rogers, Grant, Scully, Edun, Bridcutt or Bossie.

It was really good but only until summer 21 which was simply awful and not much better after. That horrible summer also did put us in a difficult position now. None of our permanent signings back then was / is good enough. Some of them are still here and still not performing. Until they're on our books chances of signings better players due to financial limitations are not great.
From loan signings only Griffiths and Fiorini made (after a while) some impact.
Winter was all about defending our league status but even then only BNC (really good) and Whittaker with Marquis (on and off) were able to help.
I guess House starts to look like a player now so it must be classed as positive.

Last season's transfers mistakes still haunting us but to be honest we're not really helping ourselves after. I mean if you look who left the club last summer and who came in you see that we are definitely lot worse team this season then in the previous one.
Considering we were struggling already last year no wonder we're looking like a relegation candidate now. Surely there is no progress..

If this winter (6 DAYS LEFT..) we won't get some good signings in my opinion we we are asking to be in trouble. Hopefully that famous domino effect that MK was recently talking about will kick in soon and we will be able to get 2 or 3 good players in.

I think you start to think the answer is no if you get to January two years in a row and it feels like you need to now do business to try and avoid getting relegated. Being in this position may also offset some of the gains we make in player sales/also means you can't afford to sell say, Regan Poole and his contract winds down, or if you sell Cohen Bramall for 200k but have had to spend quite a chunky wage on the likes of Marquis for 5 months where you're not getting anything from it afterwards, it eats into any profit and starts to look less sustainable.

I think the board/Clive/investment have backed up recruitment financially several seasons in a row to ensure we are competitive and a couple of seasons in a row we are going to underperform relative to that outlay. Increasing the pro budget significantly last season but then needing extra players to stay up feels like a problem that we cannot just palm off on Appleton/some of this must be recruitment. Being lower in the table if we are developing players may be okay, but this looks less obviously the case at the moment, especially for forward players we may want to sell on in the future like Mandroiu.

There have been some undoubted hits in the last few seasons- House as a left field signing looks inspired, Poole, Bramall, Montsma, obviously we sold Edun on, some impressive loans like BNC and Johnson, but as much as everyone seems bored of it (and I feel it's super relevant for the next 6 days) not addressing the midfield has been a theme for multiple windows and an area we keep getting progressively worse. If we can't play decent football because of it I think it is a problem for the model and it looks like a blindspot when you see the ins and outs in the summer. Yes we can debate until the cows come home on how many players we actually tried for and did/didn't get but it's now multiple windows a problem hasn't been addressed that only recruitment really seems to be able to fix. I'm sure people are trying but feels like replacing Bridcutt, McGrandles and Fiorini with Oakley-Boothe, Davenport and Virtue is obviously going to be a problem, especially when only one has had consistent minutes and looked the part. Bishop, Sorensen and Sanders all sadly seem to be misses so far, unavailable (with Bishop, that problem has continued from his time at Ipswich), unfancied, a bit lightweight or unclear what their best position is (I think Sanders was signed as a 6, now plays more box-to-box but is unconvincing, Bishop 8 or 10 but best form at right back (!))

So I don't think you can say on the whole that recent recruitment has been a success because a key position does not have quality or depth, and we cannot play in the style we are recruiting for and the manager wants us to play. That puts us in a position where 5 or 6 days could make or break our season/dictate our ability to stay in the division. Just like last January when we needed to make signings to help secure our League One status...

This is clear, it is a no.

Compared to other lower end league one clubs we are about on a par.

However, we employ a DOF and recruitment team and this hasn't given us any advantage over some of the other league one sides we'd be competing against. We aren't getting value for overhead cost we have put in to this area of the club.

This is clear, it is a no.

Compared to other lower end league one clubs we are about on a par.

However, we employ a DOF and recruitment team and this hasn't given us any advantage over some of the other league one sides we'd be competing against. We aren't getting value for overhead cost we have put in to this area of the club.
Could you let us know about some of the players we should have recruited, what they would have cost and why we didn't get them? Just interested, so I can form an optinion

Cheers

Could you let us know about some of the players we should have recruited, what they would have cost and why we didn't get them? Just interested, so I can form an optinion

Cheers

I know this is being facetious, and there have been some good signings too, but I think you have to suspend reality to truly believe there are no better midfield options that we could have signed over the last few windows than what we ended up with in terms of balance, depth and quality.

@cdhIMP isn't getting paid to do this recruitment job and isn't travelling around the UK and Ireland watching players... and I think its a silly ask, but seeing as we were just talking about ethan hamilton on the other thread who signed for accy, i'm sure we could pick out other realistically priced options across league one and league two who've been signed who might have fit better than what we've actually ended up with. Yes some of it is hindsight (not all imo as fair to say a few of us were like hmm, oakley-boothe doesn't seem the right profile for what we need in cm unless there are other ins) but I think you can still reasonably judge what we've done in a few of these windows and not be impressed!

I'm not saying it's an easy job but to pretend someone on a messageboard has to do a better job of recruitment research across league one and league two to dare to have an opinion seems ludicrous. I don't get why this defensive argument has applied to our recruitment but people are fine opining on a left back or a manager.

Last edited:
I was thinking the other day whether we're still in the recruitment hangover stage of the summer of 2021 after the short pre-season off the back of the PO's and it's made things more difficult? I know we have our issues in the squad but our summer 2021 recruitment:

Maguire, Sorenson, Adelakun, Bishop, Eyoma, Robson, Fiorini, N'Lundulu and Griffiths. You look back at that, and it panned out as a stinking summer transfer window overall IMO. Of course, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

This seasons summer seemed very slimmed down, perhaps as a result of the previous season's January transfer moves.

We can reel off plenty of decent permanent signings, albeit some with questionable availability - Poole, Walsh, Jackson, Montsma, Grant, Bridcutt, McGrandles, Scully, Edun, Hopper, House and others I can't think of off the top of my head.

The reoccurring theme has been the failure to sign adequately in areas where it was needed. The central midfield issue has been done, but in 2020/21 we didn't have an obvious back-up for Hopper either, just like we didn't have one for Bridcutt. We weren't going to be able to sign the same quality of players and, and I stand to be corrected, we ended up playing Morton up front towards the end of the season, a completely different type of attacker. When Briductt was out, we moved Grant back there for a bit and seemed to shuffle the entire midfield around because of one absentee. There's a fine line between waiting for the right player(s) and leaving it so long that it becomes a big issue (as Klopp is finding out at Liverpool now under different circumstances i.e. an aging midfield).

This season we've looked to add more pace to the side in Vernam, Diamond, Garrick and now Shodipo and that's had a fairly questionable hit rate. TOB was what we've had previously, so goodness knows why we pursued that one (regardless of whether it was a recruitment team or MK signing) but Virtue fitted in a bit more with what we needed.

We'll see how Robson for Boyses addresses that left hand side and whether we can do something in CM before the deadline on Tuesday.

Long story short, when you delve deeper than the obvious flaws in the current squad, we've not been *that* bad overall albeit perhaps an argument that the quality of loans has dropped off.

cowley in the national league: we had a v high level of financial backing in comparison to the league in general, so could bring in some of the best players at that level.
cowley in l2: we still had a fairly high level of financial backing for that league, so could still bring in some of the best players at that level.
at L1 level (including two manager changes), we are no longer anywhere near the top in terms of financial backing. so will struggle to bring in the best. and appleton had to work with a lower budget following cowley, and bring the average age down/dismantle the squad. none of this is a quick fix.
hence our position at around top of the bottom 8 in L1 (ignoring the one-off financial fair play season).

we are also trying the bring through our own youth prospects/build up the academy... but the club has gone upwards through three league levels in seven seasons, which adds obvious issues when recruiting youth players to be eventually good enough for the first team.

there is also club overall costs going up (inflation/cost of living) while the board rightly wish to stay somewhere in the realm of reasonable affordability. so our money is not going so far - in comparison with the over spenders we are competing with on recruitment.

The only people who can answer the question is the Board.

So many variables and different ponds to fish in. Football is a results driven business but a financial drain on resources whether that’s players, infra, insurances, housing of players etc etc.

Revenues dictate the outlay and like most households we budget and cut our cloth where necessary. We should not expect the Board to continue to feed the beast that is LCFC indefinitely, that is not to say we should have strengthened the midfield in the summer. However, hindsight is a great thing. Perhaps players who previously didn’t have that much game time have now been given a chance and perhaps have come up short and we wait until summer to strengthen, who knows ? We need an experienced midfielder maybe two now to see us over the line, preferably on loan in terms of cost and quality.

Expectation management is needed all round.

I know this is being facetious, and there have been some good signings too, but I think you have to suspend reality to truly believe there are no better midfield options that we could have signed over the last few windows than what we ended up with in terms of balance, depth and quality.

@cdhIMP isn't getting paid to do this recruitment job and isn't travelling around the UK and Ireland watching players... and I think its a silly ask, but seeing as we were just talking about ethan hamilton on the other thread who signed for accy, i'm sure we could pick out other realistically priced options across league one and league two who've been signed who might have fit better than what we've actually ended up with. Yes some of it is hindsight (not all imo as fair to say a few of us were like hmm, oakley-boothe doesn't seem the right profile for what we need in cm unless there are other ins) but I think you can still reasonably judge what we've done in a few of these windows and not be impressed!

I'm not saying it's an easy job but to pretend someone on a messageboard has to do a better job of recruitment research across league one and league two to dare to have an opinion seems ludicrous. I don't get why this defensive argument has applied to our recruitment but people are fine opining on a left back or a manager.

Exactly where I was coming from.

I'm not saying every signing has been bad, some have been very good. My point is we don't have a higher amount of good signings then others around us. Other teams like Accy (half our wage bill) are able to sign decent players without a recruitment team and the players they sign are statistically on less money.

Has recruitment been good enough? Yes and no.

Have we had value for money? Not really.

I think I agree on the relative positioning thing for budget, it's true we can't compete with some of the massive teams in our division but then it gets over egged as if by virtue of that we should be near the bottom of the table by default.

I apologies if I am reading any of this wrong and this may be over simplified, but our latest accounts - £6.2m in staff costs for 21/22 up from £5.1/£5.2m in the previous two seasons. From what I can see on other team's websites (some more up to date than others- we seem to publish stuff clearly and well!) Morecambe were about the £2.3m mark for 2021. The latest figures I could see for Shrewsbury were £4.1m, Burton around £4m... but a fair few clubs it doesn't seem clear/easy to see

The gap in £ around us and the other 'smaller' teams is much smaller creating that almost two-tier division, but I think there is a strong case for us underperforming based on budget this and last season (based on what I can actually see!)- so my point would be, yes recruitment is hard and we aren't going to compete with Sheffield Wednesday and Derby, but no we aren't really getting value for money atm, and I'm not sure we should have had successive Januarys where we are in or close to a relegation fight. I think as we are a very well run club with sensible people at the top compared to some, I hope we might just eek out a little more from what we spend but it seems to be the other way this last season and a half, potentially? Happy to be corrected if these other teams are now spending more than us.

I think in our run up the leagues we were backed well but also got value for money.

I know we have our issues in the squad but our summer 2021 recruitment:

Maguire, Sorenson, Adelakun, Bishop, Eyoma, Robson, Fiorini, N'Lundulu and Griffiths. You look back at that, and it panned out as a stinking summer transfer window overall IMO. Of course, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

For me Clive, you’ve hit the nail on the head there. We’re still suffering from that summer. It’s arguable that expectations were too high after the season before, but you can’t look at that list of players, Fiorini aside, and think anything other than League Two. Be interesting to know what Appleton really thought of them, although I think I can guess……

Exactly where I was coming from.

I'm not saying every signing has been bad, some have been very good. My point is we don't have a higher amount of good signings then others around us. Other teams like Accy (half our wage bill) are able to sign decent players without a recruitment team and the players they sign are statistically on less money.

Has recruitment been good enough? Yes and no.

Have we had value for money? Not really.

I don’t know but perhaps it is easier to attract players to the entertainment metropolis of Manchester (North West) rather than the Fens.

Last edited:
And another thing. I find the usual rantings of fans on social media entirely tedious so this isn’t ‘Jez George Out’, but does there come a point where the DoF has to take responsibility for the players signed? The Manager, rightly, is on the hook for performances on the pitch, and the club made moves to improve the fitness and conditioning department in the summer by appointing a new man proven elsewhere.

The point about other small League One clubs is interesting - if they don’t operate with a DoF then at Lincoln you’d hope the position would be providing some added value.

The point is that we (on here) don't know who we have tried to sign, who we missed, who nearly came and why they didn't, whether they went to Accy or anywhere else - we just don't know. We're not winning as many games as we supporters want and we know there are certain areas of the squad which we think are weak but we just don't know who has tried to do what in order to make things better.

So blaming our DoF, Recruitment Team, Board, Chairman etc, without knowing the full facts, is not a very constructive thing to do.

Everyone has opinions and we are all entitled to air them but without knowing the facts, it's all just guesswork

UTI