Harris back at Millwall | Page 3 | Vital Football

Harris back at Millwall

Trickiest budget in EFL history for that period if you believe what Harris said at the time…
He did pretty well from January - September 2023 with a competitive budget. The decision was made far too early for me, don’t think we ever got the full story on it and doubt we ever will.
Agree with not getting the full story, and, like pretty much everyone agrees, the timing was weird, but even now with SC struggling I still don’t think it was wrong to let NH go.

I hate going over history again and again, but I don’t believe the budget was that bad, it can’t have been the lowest overall budget in the league - though I do accept a lot of the budget would have been used up by those still on L1 wages whom he merely inherited. I don’t put it all on him, but I will always associate those first few months of 22/23 with Harris, and that’ll never leave me. Perhaps unfairly, I associate the second half of 22/23 with the Gallinsons, and feel the success was in spite of Harris, not because of him. I don’t expect anyone to change my mind on that, like I don’t expect to change the minds of those that see it the opposite.

Agree with not getting the full story, and, like pretty much everyone agrees, the timing was weird, but even now with SC struggling I still don’t think it was wrong to let NH go.

I hate going over history again and again, but I don’t believe the budget was that bad, it can’t have been the lowest overall budget in the league - though I do accept a lot of the budget would have been used up by those still on L1 wages whom he merely inherited. I don’t put it all on him, but I will always associate those first few months of 22/23 with Harris, and that’ll never leave me. Perhaps unfairly, I associate the second half of 22/23 with the Gallinsons, and feel the success was in spite of Harris, not because of him. I don’t expect anyone to change my mind on that, like I don’t expect to change the minds of those that see it the opposite.
A fair assessment I suppose. He was extremely close to walking before Xmas 2022, it was only the impending takeover that kept him going.
Nicky Shorey carried the can instead at the time, he’s one person I’d to see ME7 Podcast or Gillsintheblood interview, doubt it would ever happen.

A lot of conjecture here…

…perhaps NH‘a sacking was related to his ambition to return to Millwall at some point?

Don’t really care what NH does from now on in, wherever he might end up.

Possibly the wrong decision was not to sack him when we were bottom of the football league by a country mile.

But what are WE going to do after Clemence goes to Cambridge?

More likely, what are we going to do if Steve Bruce gets the South Korea job and wants Clem back as his assistant.

Don’t really care what NH does from now on in, wherever he might end up.

Possibly the wrong decision was not to sack him when we were bottom of the football league by a country mile.
It would have been interesting to have seen who would have been up for taking the job when we were bottom of the pile, and whether they would have guided us to safety.

I suppose some will still think literally anyone could have done that with the addition of the 4 players.

At least we all now know that Harris wouldn't have got us promoted has he would of fucked off to Millwall. We can finally put that to bed now

I don't think so. Cambridge are doing ok with him, but he still walked out.
Why don't you think he would have done that here if Millwall had come calling?
I don't. He might have, he might not. Who knows? Only Harris could answer that. Unless you can read minds it's all supposition.

Trickiest budget in EFL history for that period if you believe what Harris said at the time…
He did pretty well from January - September 2023 with a competitive budget. The decision was made far too early for me, don’t think we ever got the full story on it and doubt we ever will.
Just my opinion and I have no knowledge, but I think the Crawley incident may have been more of the reason Harris went, rather than a footballing one.

Just my opinion and I have no knowledge, but I think the Crawley incident may have been more of the reason Harris went, rather than a footballing one.
Maybe, but we played Crawley on 19th August and Harris was sacked in the first week in October.

If he objected to the club bringing late disciplinary action against Livermore, who at the very least was clearly provoked by Darcy (we had won, after all), I would have expected a resignation rather than a sacking.

Maybe, but we played Crawley on 19th August and Harris was sacked in the first week in October.

If he objected to the club bringing late disciplinary action against Livermore, who at the very least was clearly provoked by Darcy (we had won, after all), I would have expected a resignation rather than a sacking.
Rumour is that he was told to sack Livermore after the club was fined but refused, then he was dismissed himself.

Exclaimer: I have no inside knowledge

Rumour is that he was told to sack Livermore after the club was fined but refused, then he was dismissed himself.

Exclaimer: I have no inside knowledge
But even the fine was 4 weeks before NH was dismissed, and Crawley were fined as well.

Plus Livermore, who pleaded guilty, was only shown a yellow card, not a red one, by the ref who clearly saw his involvement in the bigger incident:

You could be right but it just seems odd. I just can not see the conversation that would lead to a bust up 4 weeks later. If every yellow card led to a job loss we wouldn't have any players left. Could be scapegoating though.

I don't. He might have, he might not. Who knows? Only Harris could answer that. Unless you can read minds it's all supposition.
As fans, we can love the club, the players and the manager as much as we like.
But the odds on the players and managers loving us back are quite unlikely.
Why, you might ask?
Well, it’s because it’s a job, and a short contract job at that.
Gills is in our blood otherwise we wouldn’t go to the lengths we go to, would we?
For the players and coaches, Gills is a paycheque.
Sure, there is the odd club legend like Hess and Trigger who obviously have much affection for Gills, but the vast majority just come and go.
So, Harris dumping Cambridge to return to Millwall for higher status and definitely more money isn’t a surprise.
I’m pretty sure that if he was still at Gills and any bigger local club came calling, he wouldn’t resist it.