Guitarists | Page 3 | Vital Football

Guitarists

Yes not clear at all.
And 50% full means every other seat occupied which means people about a foot or so apart (to either side and to front and behind). Definitely not 2 metres! And indoors which is even worse!

And saw Mr Andrew Lord Lloyd Lord Lloyd Webber says he will only reopen his theatre shows when all audience can return safely.

"I have tickets for 6/7 shows..."

But not Gosforth? ;)

Not all of those are to see Chuck. I like him, but I'm not a nut!

One of those 6/7 is for another 'guitar hero' though - 'Mad' Micky Schenker. And another one will see my first return to Rock City since 1994 (Teenage Fanclub, since you didn't ask).

Looking at his bio, Michael Schenker is indeed somewhat "mad". Not my cup of tea but certainly talented.

I saw UFO in Boston in 1987. Schenker not playing, I suspect.

To add in a couple of guitarists challenging the "punks can't play" meme, I give you Nicky Garrett and Captain Sensible. Both very good indeed.

Looking at his bio, Michael Schenker is indeed somewhat "mad". Not my cup of tea but certainly talented.

I saw UFO in Boston in 1987. Schenker not playing, I suspect.

No, wouldn't have been Schenker at that point, he left UFO at the end of the 70s. Think they got a Japanese guitarist in during the mid 80s - Tommy someone??

When they call him 'mad', suspect they actually mean 'drunk'. Although, should add, I think he's cleaned up these days.

I wouldn't normally have been tempted to see him but had a Ticketmaster gift card that needed using before it expired, so thought I'd relive my teenage metal years.

To add in a couple of guitarists challenging the "punks can't play" meme, I give you Nicky Garrett and Captain Sensible. Both very good indeed.

How about Johnny Ramone? While not what you'd call gifted, what he did required some serious effort. Saw the Ramones final UK gig and was amazed by his playing stamina.

How about Johnny Ramone? While not what you'd call gifted, what he did required some serious effort. Saw the Ramones final UK gig and was amazed by his playing stamina.

For sure, Ramones never short-changed you, although I never saw them live. One of those for the other thread "Bands you wished you'd seen..."

Don't know how controversial this might be (not sure how many of you subscribe to what I call the BBC music snob view of rock in general, and American rock in particular, being formulaic and worthless):

Neal Schon of Journey

Terrific guitarist with more range than might be appreciated. Started off in Carlos Santana's band at a ludicrously young age (16?!?), before forming the early prog-ish version of Journey. Love his playing on the last 'proper' Journey album, Raised On Radio (discounting later reformations and bastardized versions of the band) - the solo that ends I'll Be Alright With You being always amazes - several flurries of jazz-inflected notes, where he appears to be dampening the strings in some way, before he heads off into a repeated melody line (sort of a Thin Lizzy riff, for one guitar). It's fret wank, but tasteful fret wank. And serves the song.

Saw him once, in 1988, when he came on as guest for encore by Australian rocker Jimmy Barnes, at Brixton Academy. Brilliant.

I suppose if you're talking "fret wank" - and, frankly, who isn't? - then you have to mention Eddie Van Halen (recently deceased) and Randy Rhoads (long time deceased).

Don't know how controversial this might be (not sure how many of you subscribe to what I call the BBC music snob view of rock in general, and American rock in particular, being formulaic and worthless):

Neal Schon of Journey

Terrific guitarist with more range than might be appreciated. Started off in Carlos Santana's band at a ludicrously young age (16?!?), before forming the early prog-ish version of Journey. Love his playing on the last 'proper' Journey album, Raised On Radio (discounting later reformations and bastardized versions of the band) - the solo that ends I'll Be Alright With You being always amazes - several flurries of jazz-inflected notes, where he appears to be dampening the strings in some way, before he heads off into a repeated melody line (sort of a Thin Lizzy riff, for one guitar). It's fret wank, but tasteful fret wank. And serves the song.

Saw him once, in 1988, when he came on as guest for encore by Australian rocker Jimmy Barnes, at Brixton Academy. Brilliant.

It's very difficult to come up with a valid opinion that covers all of "American Rock" and the BBC valued some of it very highly indeed ( Tom Petty or The New York Dolls for example) but Journey? bleh, exactly the sort of formulaic radio rock designed to appease the middle class America and keep them listening while churning out the adverts, "corporate rebellion" incarnate.

None of which had anything to do with technical ability of course. I'm perfectly happy to accept the term "snob" in relation to that opinion with no qualms whatsoever...

It's very difficult to come up with a valid opinion that covers all of "American Rock" and the BBC valued some of it very highly indeed ( Tom Petty or The New York Dolls for example) but Journey? bleh, exactly the sort of formulaic radio rock designed to appease the middle class America and keep them listening while churning out the adverts, "corporate rebellion" incarnate.

None of which had anything to do with technical ability of course. I'm perfectly happy to accept the term "snob" in relation to that opinion with no qualms whatsoever...

Apart from that, they're OK, though?

By 'American rock' I was more referring to what might otherwise be called AOR or hard rock (rather than Petty et al): of which, like all genres, there is good, bad and indifferent. The BBC's attitude to that whole area has always reeked of class snobbery and, yes I'm going to say it, 'PC gone mad': as an example, and they've corrected it now, for several years the 'Radio 2 Rock Show' ran for 3-4 weeks per year, and one year was followed in the same slot by 12 weeks of a David Rodigan show focussing on reggae. And this was after R2 had declared it had become too progressive (ha!) and would instead concentrate on stuff that appealed to the broadest cross section of listeners. I have nothing at all against reggae/ska/dub, it's very enjoyable, but I must have missed the part of popular culture where it so comprehensively outsold hard rock music (if the ratio of rock programmes v reggae programmes mentioned above was reflective). But then, it was ever thus, R1 used to bury Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show back in the 80s.

Sorry, it's a bugbear of mine, as you can probably guess.

By 'American rock' I was more referring to what might otherwise be called AOR or hard rock (rather than Petty et al): of which, like all genres, there is good, bad and indifferent. The BBC's attitude to that whole area has always reeked of class snobbery and, yes I'm going to say it, 'PC gone mad': as an example, and they've corrected it now, for several years the 'Radio 2 Rock Show' ran for 3-4 weeks per year, and one year was followed in the same slot by 12 weeks of a David Rodigan show focussing on reggae. And this was after R2 had declared it had become too progressive (ha!) and would instead concentrate on stuff that appealed to the broadest cross section of listeners. I have nothing at all against reggae/ska/dub, it's very enjoyable, but I must have missed the part of popular culture where it so comprehensively outsold hard rock music (if the ratio of rock programmes v reggae programmes mentioned above was reflective). But then, it was ever thus, R1 used to bury Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show back in the 80s.

The less Journey on the TV and radio the better I reckon. I don't recall Tommy Vance playing much AOR on his radio show either, he knew crap when he heard it...

And people say I'm weird. :grinning:

Ha ha! Not feeling the love much here!

Fair point about Thomas The Vance. Don't think he did play much AOR.

He played a bit of early Marillion though. Christ, that was some terrible second-rate Foxtrot-rip off shit, wasn't it? ;)

I suppose if you're talking "fret wank" - and, frankly, who isn't? - then you have to mention Eddie Van Halen (recently deceased) and Randy Rhoads (long time deceased).

Didn't realise until reading his obituaries that EVH was a childhood piano prodigy. Won some sort of Californian state-wide piano competition about 5 years in a row.

TV on the Radio. Great stuff on a Friday night. When Rock music really was Rock music. If ever I was on Room 101 my whinge would be how everything is called Rock music these days even, God forbid, the Birdy Song! My favourite Rock song of all time is Freebird. An absolute Rock classic. Spent many a happy hour head banging to it at Trilbys. GoBC, you are playing with fire dissing Marillion with SincilBanks and Knotty! I admire your courage.

GoBC, you are playing with fire dissing Marillion with SincilBanks and Knotty!

Pallas were the best of that 80s wave of prog bands.

Doubt either of those two know it though. Too happy to toe the party line.

Pallas were the best of that 80s wave of prog bands.

Doubt either of those two know it though. Too happy to toe the party line.

I saw Pallas, they werent that great, I think I even have their first album somewhere.

"Winners never lose, losers never win, hollow hearts lie torn apart when dreamers wander in"
is hardly Shakespeare

Yep and Marillion and Twelfth Night weren't that great either. But I liked them, and there's the difference, I'm happy to acknowledge stuff I like isn't great. I like all sorts of crap...