Guitarists' Thread... | Vital Football

Guitarists' Thread...

NottyImp

Vital Football Legend
... how do you know someone is a guitarist? They'll tell you.

This is thread for all the guitarists on here - of which there seem to be afew - to re-string, write riffs and bash out some licks.

So, my first guitar was borrowed from my cousin when I was about 17. It was the vilest cheap pseudo-classical heap of shit imaginable. Everything since has been easier to play. :grinning:

Ignoring attempt to derail the thread.

As mentioned elsewhere can play the same 3 chords across an acoustic, electric, mandolin, banjo, and ukulele.

(Actually, I'm slightly better than that... but only slightly)

Ignoring attempt to derail the thread.

As mentioned elsewhere can play the same 3 chords across an acoustic, electric, mandolin, banjo, and ukulele.

(Actually, I'm slightly better than that... but only slightly)

3 chords was easily enough for 20 years in my erstwhile punk band. Although I threw the odd minor in and with barre chords you could arguably claim it was more.

Currently attempting to learn acoustic guitarist Rick Ruskin's version of Here Comes The Sun. Found a tab for it online. Might have bitten off more than I can chew. If I get there it'll take a while.

My favoured 'bits' to play are: the main riff of Have Love, Will Travel or Pipeline or Tom Petty's Honey Bee. Also nearly mastered Clouds by The Jayhawks (after almost 30 years) and recently learned Dixieland by Steve Earle, on the mandolin. Oh yeah, and the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine (at snail's pace) and a sort of calypso Blitzkreig Bop. These generally annoy everyone else in the house a couple of times a week, and have done for about 20 years.

I admire guitarists - like Chuck Prophet - who make it look all so effortless. I mean, I'm sure he works his bollocks off at it, but it doesn't show.

I work mine off and it defintely does!

I stated aged 10 played a lot for a dozen or so years. All sorts of styles and genre. Paul weller, Clapton stone roses were favourites. I bought a couple of guitars along the way.

Once I entered the big bad world I didn’t really have the time or the space to take it with me so they were left in a safe space.

Fast forward to lockdown and I have really got back into it. Bought a load of second hand tab books.

I don’t think I am as good as I was 20 years ago but what I have noticed is I have slowed down and don’t rush at my playing now which is helping my playing.

I was looking at equipment over lockdown and I think there must be millions of bedroom guitarists as the availability of new gear is poor and the price of used has rocketed.

I stated aged 10 played a lot for a dozen or so years. All sorts of styles and genre. Paul weller, Clapton stone roses were favourites. I bought a couple of guitars along the way.

Once I entered the big bad world I didn’t really have the time or the space to take it with me so they were left in a safe space.

Fast forward to lockdown and I have really got back into it. Bought a load of second hand tab books.

I don’t think I am as good as I was 20 years ago but what I have noticed is I have slowed down and don’t rush at my playing now which is helping my playing.

I was looking at equipment over lockdown and I think there must be millions of bedroom guitarists as the availability of new gear is poor and the price of used has rocketed.

What equipment are you looking at? Agreed on the lock-down comment. A bit like dogs, prices have rocketed.

If life stops you playing guitar, something is wrong (it's probably Thatcher's fault, or possibly Paul Mayo).

What equipment are you looking at? Agreed on the lock-down comment. A bit like dogs, prices have rocketed.

All sorts guitars amps pedals. Gibson and fender for instance are like hens teeth. Used prices are so high not worth it. Gone are the days when you could get a second hang bargain. I once bought a US strat in the mid 90s for less then a Chinese epiphone (even taking into account hens teeth). All that’s about is high end custom shop or low end Chinese (I morally object to buying).

Here's a pic of my pedal board:

1618500419743.png

Again, they're just used as more tricks to vary those 3 chords. Or hit the Tremolo when you want something that sounds a bit like a Ry Cooder soundtrack.

Gibson and fender for instance are like hens teeth. Used prices are so high not worth it.

High price of Gibsons is not just lockdown related. The company made some pretty big blunders a few years back and reported big losses, I believe, so they just lumped 10% on the price of their guitars. Second-hand market wasn't slow to notice this and so those prices went up too.

Here's a pic of my pedal board:

View attachment 47639

Again, they're just used as more tricks to vary those 3 chords. Or hit the Tremolo when you want something that sounds a bit like a Ry Cooder soundtrack.

Are they mostly Boss? They are a good brand. I have chorus pedal but it’s Marshall as had other effects in it. I don’t have that many a Morley Wah cry baby wah a marshall govnor jack hammer and regenerator.

All sorts guitars amps pedals. Gibson and fender for instance are like hens teeth. Used prices are so high not worth it. Gone are the days when you could get a second hang bargain. I once bought a US strat in the mid 90s for less then a Chinese epiphone (even taking into account hens teeth). All that’s about is high end custom shop or low end Chinese (I morally object to buying).

What type of Fender are you looking for?

High price of Gibsons is not just lockdown related. The company made some pretty big blunders a few years back and reported big losses, I believe, so they just lumped 10% on the price of their guitars. Second-hand market wasn't slow to notice this and so those prices went up too.

They have a new owner and CEO. They have simplified the range and the QC is better. They have a range at the lower end which is very good. Just that the wood and finish is not as fancy. Still plays like a Gibson.

Are they mostly Boss? They are a good brand.

All but one. I'm not enough of a muso to spot the difference in tone between one make of pedal and another, mostly. Bought the Tremolo years ago and always liked it, so just stuck with Boss. Sure there are a range of opinions about them. They work for me.