Greg Clarke resigns as FA Chairman.......... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Greg Clarke resigns as FA Chairman..........

Without the benefit of regular diversity training and education, it must seem a minefield. I pulled my mum up a while ago for referring to a little black girl as "coloured" and told her the girl is black. "No no no" she said, "you can't say black, thats racist". 😳 She used the wrong word but its not far out of date in the general scheme of things.
That said, you'd expect an organisation as big as the FA to be up to speed with diversity issues, still no need to resign IMO. A humble apology and maybe use the "incident" to highlight what is correct terminology would have been a better way ahead. (Sometimes known as reflective learning)
I've no opinion on whether he was any good at his job but there is a real risk of losing excellent managers and staff on the back of what could be solved with training and education. It'll be interesting to hear from someone in the black community to find out how offensive the term "coloured" is. We all accept it is the wrong word to use but offensive? I have no idea, I'm not black and have hardly ever (well once) been a victim of racism so am lucky that it has not been an issue for me and could never imagine what it must be like. Its easy to say something isn't offensive when you're not the one being offended.

I'm black, or to be specific about 75% black. I can't think of a more benign description than 'coloured'. My white nan uses it to describe my black grandad frequently. The term is popular with the older generation. My nan claims that when she was a kid she was discouraged from using the term 'black' and that 'coloured' was more polite. Her favourite term is 'darkie' though. As a teenager she was constantly telling me and my friends how grandad was one of the first darkies in Rochester(much to friends amusement as even back then it was a rarely used term).

Condemning people for every perceived slip of the tongue pushes more people towards the likes of Trump - I get the appeal.

We are all people of colour, I challenge any 'white' skinned person to find any living skin on their body that is white. Also any 'black' person to find any living black skin on their body. We are all coloured from pale pink to very dark brown. Categorising is racist in it's self.
I dunno about that. One of my best mates has an Irish Dad and when he takes his top off in summer he looks like he's been through a Persil Brilliant White wash.

I'm black, or to be specific about 75% black. I can't think of a more benign description than 'coloured'. My white nan uses it to describe my black grandad frequently. The term is popular with the older generation. My nan claims that when she was a kid she was discouraged from using the term 'black' and that 'coloured' was more polite. Her favourite term is 'darkie' though. As a teenager she was constantly telling me and my friends how grandad was one of the first darkies in Rochester(much to friends amusement as even back then it was a rarely used term).

Condemning people for every perceived slip of the tongue pushes more people towards the likes of Trump - I get the appeal.

Have you got any connection to the Vines ?
40 years ago , around 1980 ?

About time the FA joined the modern era.They need to get rid of some of the old dead wood anyway.My guess is that they were looking for a excuse to get shot of him.

Forget all the PC/Woke stuff. He needed to go so that the Sweet FA can initiate much needed reform and get a proper grip on the game here.
Always important to question things. History tells us that.

Totally agree - when you consider that the English are actually made up of a mix of Celtic peoples, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Norwegian/ Danes (Vikings) Normans (again Vikings), Bretons, Welsh, Irish and Scots before the influx of migrants from Commonwealth countries, in essence we are a mongrel race. But if we called somebody that it would be offensive but we are stating facts.

The same could be said for most countries across the world who have been conquered by invading armies throughout history.

Last edited:

I remember in the 80s being educated that you can't call people "black" and it was polite to call them coloured. Now we're told that it's the other way round, whilst at the same time we often hear people being referred to as "people of colour" and especially "women of colour" - it's a favourite of Diane Abbott for example. I can see why it is confusing - especially for the older generation - and I think the PC brigade are keen make terminology for BAME people convoluted and confusing as it plays right in to their hands for pulling the race card and victim complex (usually done by unaffected white people on behalf of BAME people).

Have you got any connection to the Vines ?
40 years ago , around 1980 ?
Isn't it grapes connected to vines! Both black and whites grapes for diversity purposes.

My Grandparents lived in the Delce area (or troy town as nan still calls it), but had moved to outer Rochester before 1980

Isn't it grapes connected to vines! Both black and whites grapes for diversity purposes.

My Grandparents lived in the Delce area (or troy town as nan still calls it), but had moved to outer Rochester before 1980

I remember I guy who lived in a big house , we got chatting about cars and he helped me out.

I've just looked on maps , and the street was called 'The Cl'
What kind of street name is that ?!

I wouldn't sack him for the one gaff today and agree the terminology changes with the wind direction it seems.

However, he does apparently have a track record of gaffes and a person in his position should be on the ball (sorry, pun intended) compared to Nobby's dear old mum. His comments on gay being a lifestyle choice are ludicrous. An example of a dinosaur the game needs shot of (sorry, another pun intended).

I admit to using that kind of language and having similar attitudes myself but that was 45 years ago.

Even the word BAME is now considered racist if used by white people in some quarters. Apparently if a white person uses it then the white person is implying that all non-white people are the same. But as every BAME person knows, the black experience is different from the Brown experience which is different from the experience of other skin tones that aren't white.

Soon white people will be called racist for continuing to use the term while the woke left insist we use whatever new term they have decided in their bubbles.

Oh and before Gills58 accuses me of making stuff up, here is an article from a far right media source

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54641786
Unlucky Baghdad, I've taken my false teeth out so I'm not biting. In fact, I'm not even gumming. Keep being outraged. It's amusing. Have a nice evening.

For the record I agree with Jogills.

It's an example of how identity politics are poisoning society. It only promotes division.
When citizens are wary of what they can or can't say , it will cause increasing tensions.

I remember I guy who lived in a big house , we got chatting about cars and he helped me out.

I've just looked on maps , and the street was called 'The Cl'
What kind of street name is that ?!

Ah, you mean The Close. I think google maps automatically abbreviates it. I think they lived the other side of the old police station but will check with granny, she's not as with it as once she was tho. Grandad was mildly into Japanese cars before they were widespread over here, but was by no means a car nut

Ah, you mean The Close. I think google maps automatically abbreviates it. I think they lived the other side of the old police station but will check with granny, she's not as with it as once she was tho. Grandad was mildly into Japanese cars before they were widespread over here, but was by no means a car nut

Never mind , it was a long shot !