Greg Clarke resigns as FA Chairman.......... | Vital Football

Greg Clarke resigns as FA Chairman..........

Brexiteer

Vital Squad Member
for using the term 'coloured' during a video call with MPs. He explained his gaffe, apologised and then went on to refer to Afro Caribbean and South Asian employees.

Have we gone too far with what is PC and what is not.

I'm sure we have all used the term 'coloured' at some time without any racist connotations, I'm not sure he had to fall on his sword.

I think this was just the latest of gaffs.

Gay, a lifestyle choice, derogatory remarks about female players.

Probably a good bloke, but not fit for this high profile position.

Forget all the PC/Woke stuff. He needed to go so that the Sweet FA can initiate much needed reform and get a proper grip on the game here.

Without the benefit of regular diversity training and education, it must seem a minefield. I pulled my mum up a while ago for referring to a little black girl as "coloured" and told her the girl is black. "No no no" she said, "you can't say black, thats racist". 😳 She used the wrong word but its not far out of date in the general scheme of things.
That said, you'd expect an organisation as big as the FA to be up to speed with diversity issues, still no need to resign IMO. A humble apology and maybe use the "incident" to highlight what is correct terminology would have been a better way ahead. (Sometimes known as reflective learning)
I've no opinion on whether he was any good at his job but there is a real risk of losing excellent managers and staff on the back of what could be solved with training and education. It'll be interesting to hear from someone in the black community to find out how offensive the term "coloured" is. We all accept it is the wrong word to use but offensive? I have no idea, I'm not black and have hardly ever (well once) been a victim of racism so am lucky that it has not been an issue for me and could never imagine what it must be like. Its easy to say something isn't offensive when you're not the one being offended.

Even the word BAME is now considered racist if used by white people in some quarters. Apparently if a white person uses it then the white person is implying that all non-white people are the same. But as every BAME person knows, the black experience is different from the Brown experience which is different from the experience of other skin tones that aren't white.

Soon white people will be called racist for continuing to use the term while the woke left insist we use whatever new term they have decided in their bubbles.

Oh and before Gills58 accuses me of making stuff up, here is an article from a far right media source

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54641786

Of itself that comment is pretty small beer but staggeringly inept from the head of a national organisation. Add several other more embarrassing faux pas in front of the same committee and you wonder how he has survived so long. If there is a talking point it's that he was probably only pushed aside because of his recent fall out with the premiership. Otherwise he would be nodding on to infinity with Gordon Taylor and the other gravy trainers.

We are all people of colour, I challenge any 'white' skinned person to find any living skin on their body that is white. Also any 'black' person to find any living black skin on their body. We are all coloured from pale pink to very dark brown. Categorising is racist in it's self.

I have to admit I haven't got a clue, I would never intentionally offend anyone, yet the way things keep changing I don't know what or what isn't except able.

I'm confused, how do you refer to a person from the Indian subcontinent, without causing offence, it cannot be black. Can someone please tell me.

Since when did the FA succumb to parsing the difference between "coloured people" and "people of colour" ?

Cancel Culture seems to have infected the FA.:(

I'm confused, how do you refer to a person from the Indian subcontinent, without causing offence, it cannot be black. Can someone please tell me.
I don't know.
A couple of days ago, some Lord (i.e. House of....) got told# that when asking a question that referred to someone from India as "Indian", he had been "offensive".
(#by some activist)

The point is....
.....given that many, many people no longer have the faintest idea what the latest "offence" is....
.... instead of "apologising", people should stop accepting the premise of the accuser..... who more than likely has some "agenda". :(

He may well deserve to be sacked or should resign for other reasons, but going over this is just another example of our pathetically woke society and political correctness gone mad. A gaff and the wrong term to use (at present anyway - the powers of wokeness will probably deem it the correct term to use in a few months as they seem to change their mind with the wind), but pathetic that someone loses their job over semantics.