Grantham Town | Vital Football

Grantham Town

Davidimp

Vital Football Legend
Won tonight to get through the playoff final, one game from being in the national league north.

Massive jump financially if they get up! Some big clubs in that league.

Just remembered I was there when this journey here started two seasons ago at The Meres.

I've only seen Grantham once, a game at Hayden Road away to Rushden (pre merger with Irthlingborough Diamonds), Martin O'Neil was the manager of Grantham then.

Stamford also won their semi-final play-off in NPL South (same division as Lincoln United)

Did watch Grantham once myself, many years ago when they played Middlesbrough in the cup at the old ground in town ( now a supermarket I believe)

I remember seeing Grantham play back in 1970 against Gainsborough in an FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round second replay (those were the days!) which was played at the City Ground as a neutral venue. Grantham won 2-1 and went on to beat Stockport in the First Round before losing 4-1 at home to Rotherham in the Second.

As I remember, ex-City midfielder Mick Farmer was in the Grantham side and they had their legendary partnership up front of Bob Norris and former City triallist Ernie Nixon.

Did watch Grantham once myself, many years ago when they played Middlesbrough in the cup at the old ground in town ( now a supermarket I believe)

Think we saw the previous game Round 2, drew with Rochdale 1-1, 1973 ? Must have been at a loose end that Saturday, Imps did not make it beyond Round 1 !! Think Grantham won the replay 5-2 or something like that.

I've seen both a few times over the years, playing at Stafford Rangers and Newcastle Town

Think we saw the previous game Round 2, drew with Rochdale 1-1, 1973 ? Must have been at a loose end that Saturday, Imps did not make it beyond Round 1 !! Think Grantham won the replay 5-2 or something like that.

1973/74 season - that's correct, Grantham drew 1-1 at home to Rochdale and won the replay 5-3! Lost 2-0 at home to Middlesbrough in the Third round.

City lost 1-0 away to Doncaster in the First Round - a very windy day if I remember correctly.

I was surprised to learn in a quiz question that Grantham is the 2nd largest town in Lincolnshire so maybe surprising they have been the 4th ranked team

I was surprised to learn in a quiz question that Grantham is the 2nd largest town in Lincolnshire so maybe surprising they have been the 4th ranked team

That could mean the administrative region of Lincolnshire that no longer includes Grimsby and Scunthorpe, though, rather than the geographical county of Lincolnshire, which does.

Will radio lincs drop the Gainsborough game now they are relegated and have the Grantham one instead if they are promoted to NLN?

That could mean the administrative region of Lincolnshire that no longer includes Grimsby and Scunthorpe, though, rather than the geographical county of Lincolnshire, which does.

Without Grimsby and Scunthorpe Grantham would be the second largest. The top 5 are Lincoln, Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Grantham and then Boston. Grantham and Boston switched places at the last census.

I remember seeing Grantham play back in 1970 against Gainsborough in an FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round second replay (those were the days!) which was played at the City Ground as a neutral venue. Grantham won 2-1 and went on to beat Stockport in the First Round before losing 4-1 at home to Rotherham in the Second.

As I remember, ex-City midfielder Mick Farmer was in the Grantham side and they had their legendary partnership up front of Bob Norris and former City triallist Ernie Nixon.
I also went to that game as a Trinity season ticket holder. Grantham were undoubtedly one of the top non-league sides in the country at the time and I don't know what caused their long downfall.