Grabben/Brereton | Page 3 | Vital Football

Grabben/Brereton

Just a small point, but if you look very closely you will see that I posted at 12.04 and the article that you have just quoted was posted at 1.30, a full one hour and twenty six minutes later.

You may need to get some one who is compos mentis to explain what that means.

In the mean time stop being a coffin dodging, slanderous old grave dancer and STFU

There is no need for such insults Mao, if you have to stoop to such levels - then I'm afraid you'll be taking a break!

Updated by OKD just yesterday

3 - This is a forum for discussion. That means most of the time, most of you won't agree. Most people will debate the issue in hand as befits a discussion forum don't make your threads personal. If you are unable to reply without making a personal comment about somebody's belief then don't reply and save us all the favour of having to read it. You can ‘attack’ a fellow members' point of view, you cannot attack them for having that view

Again - agree... but people in glass houses & all that!

Notably, those rule do start with... this board is an unmoderated board.

I have better things to do that sort out petty playground squabbles.... I would ask that all posters treat others and their opinions with respect... there is no need for the insults & I'm afraid a few may well take a break, if they cannot refrain from inappropiate behaviour/language.

Stats really don't back you up there.

Stats can be used to help or hinder an argument.

Where did Ben play tonight?

He is not a left back, as anyone who has ever played will agree with, positionally he is improving, but he is not strong enough in the tackle, when he actually gets in place to tackle, get's beaten on the outside too easily & certainly in the air - I've played football and still coach, his attributes are wasted at left back.

You are entitled to your opinion though - have a good evening!

He is not a left back, as anyone who has ever played will agree with, positionally he is improving, but he is not strong enough in the tackle, when he actually gets in place to tackle, get's beaten on the outside too easily & certainly in the air - I've played football and still coach, his attributes are wasted at left back.

Agree there. He’s wasted at left back & we are shoehorning him in. Rather than being critical of the player though I’d say it’s testament to his ability & professionalism that he’s doing so well in a role not suited to him.

Agree there. He’s wasted at left back & we are shoehorning him in. Rather than being critical of the player though I’d say it’s testament to his ability & professionalism that he’s doing so well in a role not suited to him.

So where would you play him in our current midfield then?

I'm not actually criticising him - I've said that we are wasting his attributes, in a position that he is not comfortable with.

I sit BC lower, absolutely pitch side - you can hear Benny criticising and berating himself.

We looked better against Reading when he played LM - ahead of Robinson. He also had an influence on the game, when he came on tonight (Lolley did too).

So where would you play him in our current midfield then?

Currently, I'd play him left mid - he can also play the no.10 role.

The other option would be left wing back, which gives him more attacking licence - with 3 CH's offering cover, as well as the DCMs.

I'm not actually criticising him - I've said that we are wasting his attributes, in a position that he is not comfortable with.

I sit BC lower, absolutely pitch side - you can hear Benny criticising and berating himself.

We looked better against Reading when he played LM - ahead of Robinson. He also had an influence on the game, when he came on tonight (Lolley did too).

Im not saying you are I’m just pointing out that he’s not suited to it but is still doing it & doing well despite his limitations.

Im not saying you are I’m just pointing out that he’s not suited to it but is still doing it & doing well despite his limitations.

Heart as big as a bucket and bags of effort, which I cannot fault - I'm criticising his selection in that position NOT the player!

Definitely you're the only person here with football experience and at such a high level too...Karanka played football and he clearly thinks he is, so less of that nonsense please.

Football has changed and so has the role of the full back; width, passing, movement, crossing etc are now all more important than some big lump who can head a ball or hoik the opposition into the stands.

Ben came on to try to rescue the game today, he's a versatile player capable of performing well in a number of roles.

Funny how people don't like statistics on tackling when they are criticising a players tackling...

Last edited:

We looked better against Reading when he played LM - ahead of Robinson. He also had an influence on the game, when he came on tonight (Lolley did too).[/QUOT

I think left midfield is going to be his best position ahead of Robinson but not central midfield as we have far better players in that position

Definitely you're the only person here with football experience and at such a high level too...Karanka played football and he clearly thinks he is, so less of that nonsense please.

Football has changed and so has the role of the full back; width, passing, movement, crossing etc are now all more important than some big lump who can head a ball or hoik the opposition into the stands.

Ben came on to try to rescue the game today, he's a versatile player capable of performing well in a number of roles.

Funny how people don't like statistics on tackling when they are criticising a players tackling...

Or could that be, that the opposition spot the weakness and concentrate their efforts on our left - thereby, meaning he has to make more tackles?

Personally, I think that he is being played LB, because Robinson is not match fit and he's the best & fittest option currently available.

In time, he may well turn out to be an excellent full back - although, again just my opinion - I'm convinced that he is better at LM.

He's in the top 10 for the entire league for tackles won.

He's in the top 15 for most passes per game

He's a modern attacking fullback who brings balance to our game (with mediocre defensive cover ahead of him).

If the opposition focus their attentions (which they all have done) at our LHS - then, he will see more of the ball etc. We have dominated possession and are content to pass the ball around our defence....

That defence of mediocre cover ahead of him.... ok, where have I heard that before?

Unlike some, I really do like Benny as a footballer - but, feel he is better suited to midfield - possibly even wingback - when he will have better cover behind him.

We were better against Reading when Robinson came on at LB & Ben went to LM... enough said!

I try to see the positives of every player and have always held true to the mantra that you win, lose or draw as a team.

#
Agree - but, as CP states, his versatility means he can play there and do a damn good job - he's a fantastic player for a manager to have, because you know he will put in a shift wherever he is asked to play!

For clarity - I am not criticisng Ben - more his selection in a position he is not that familiar with.