Good Morning Thread | Page 893 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

You're righ Ex, I've had challenges both physical and mental throughout my life but still managed to put in a total of 50 years in the workplace, even working 2 years beyond my official retirement date.

It won't be popular but the current clamour for compensation for the WASPI women is questionable. I clearly remember the discussion and the implementation of the process to gradually raise the pension age for women to the same as men, and also to increase to limit for all. To suggest people weren't properly informed is nonsense, it was widely publicised and I and my then wife received information from the DWP regarding both actions, I think this was as much as 20 years before implementation. I guess those that are complaining are the ones who failed to take in the information and left it too late to make necessary changes.
Unfortunately TQ, My wife is one of those (whinging) WASPI women you are speaking about, she received no written notice of changes to her pension and expected it in 2018, only to find out that the government had accelerated the pension age increase in 2011,how do you prepare for that in 7 years??
I accept that my own pension is pushed on now, by around 2 years to 67, it's not what I wanted, but doable, and I agree that everyone should have an equal state pension retirement age.
I just feel that the time given for these ladies was insufficient and there fore unfair.
So m8 it's, easy to snipe form the sidelines, when you aren't affected.
But heho, she finally gets her deserved pension some 6 years later than first thought, and who knows maybe a lump sum to boot, however no where near what she, was entitled to when she entered the, workplace at 15.

I said yesterday how I watched Sarries v Quinns and what a game it was, well yesterday I watched Bath v Sale Sharks, anther must watch game, excellent!

That bloody Sweaty, Finn Russel, for Bath, what a player! 5 star.

Unfortunately TQ, My wife is one of those (whinging) WASPI women you are speaking about, she received no written notice of changes to her pension and expected it in 2018, only to find out that the government had accelerated the pension age increase in 2011,how do you prepare for that in 7 years??
I accept that my own pension is pushed on now, by around 2 years to 67, it's not what I wanted, but doable, and I agree that everyone should have an equal state pension retirement age.
I just feel that the time given for these ladies was insufficient and there fore unfair.
But heho, she finally gets her deserved pension some 6 years later than first thought, and who knows maybe a lump sum to boot, however no where near what she, was entitled to when she entered the, workplace at 15.
Good arguement there Niall, but Mrs PY being in the same boat as your missus say's the complete opposite and basically she is in line wiv TQ and what he said.

It seems to me there are some who agree and some that do not.

Equality in some things not in other's, the bickering will keep on.

Whatever way you look at it, it is a poor situation, feminist or not!

I do sympathise with those that lost out Niall but there are always going to be winners and losers in many situations where changes are made. We were aware of the changes to pension ages long ago and ok, it got accelerated for some, but overall there was fair warning in my estimation. I worked two years beyond my official retirement date in order to boost my small private pension pot which had been massively reduced by divorce, I don't complain about it, I just got on and did it. Such is life. 🙄

Hi folks
We all see things differently, and TQ whilst you say there was indeed talk around it, there was certainly not enough notification.
Yup PY as I say we all see it differently, your missus could be on other payments, not my business.
Sadly my Mrs isn't, she has an unidentified connective tissue disorder, which has taken so far 5 years to diagnose, even tho we payed privately for the initial consultation.
It is in the range of Fibromyalgia but it isn't that.
So all she has is a small pension from her previous employment
As she has no diagnosis, it just a waiting game.
Anyways we always worked and payed our way.
I too was divorced, many years ago, a costly business and paid a hefty maintainence for a lot of years.
Don't complain about it, that was the law, I paid my way..

Hi folks
We all see things differently, and TQ whilst you say there was indeed talk around it, there was certainly not enough notification.
Yup PY as I say we all see it differently, your missus could be on other payments, not my business.
Sadly my Mrs isn't, she has an unidentified connective tissue disorder, which has taken so far 5 years to diagnose, even tho we payed privately for the initial consultation.
I too was divorced, many years ago, a costly business and paid a hefty maintainence for a lot of years.
Jeez Niall am sorry for your missus, you say it is in the range of Fibromyaligia, that's bad enough, only recognised by the NHS is the last 2-3 years.

I will have a chat wiv Mrs PY too see if she see can shed any light on what your missus is suffering wiv, as you know Mrs PY suffers wiv RSD/CRPS a hell of a lot worse than Fibro! so she might have some idea.

Just a thought Niall is your missus in pain 24/7/365 but different parts of the body daily, just one of many questions Mrs PY will ask.

Am so sorry again mate.

No worry PY
As I said they just take their time in diagnosis, we have an idea what it is but it's linked to the immune system.
Don't really discuss her health, it was just in the context of the pension.
We just found it a tad unfair at the time.
As, I said she gets it soon, and I didn't complain about it, it was just that it was brought up and, (for me) there's two sides to every story or argument.
But Thankyou for your kind thoughts my friend.
🙏

Hi folks
Uncanny Niall, but my Mrs too had to take early retirement from a teaching career she loved and in the middle of a PHD she was studying for. After two years and 9 consultants she eventually got the diagnosis of fibromyalgia and qualified for her ill health pension. I remember taking her for a DWP disability assessment which was humiliating in the extreme but I guess a necessary hurdle.

Just thinking on your 'Key board' piano comment Mutters got me to thinking on my fave piano tracks.Or teacks containing piano.
10 Don't Stop Me Queen.
9/Sartorial Elequence. Elton John
8/ Walking In Memphis Marc Cohn
7/ Good night Sigon Billy Joel
6/ The Island Paul Brady
5/. Never let Her Slip Away Andrew Gold
4/ Last Resort The Eagles
3/"Life On Mars David Bowie
2/Souvineer OMD
1/ Eyes of Blue. Paul Carrick
As Always Subject to change

Great list. So glad you introduced Paul Brady to me as well. Not so sure he is as prominent in our part of the empire.

I do sympathise with those that lost out Niall but there are always going to be winners and losers in many situations where changes are made. We were aware of the changes to pension ages long ago and ok, it got accelerated for some, but overall there was fair warning in my estimation. I worked two years beyond my official retirement date in order to boost my small private pension pot which had been massively reduced by divorce, I don't complain about it, I just got on and did it. Such is life. 🙄
Some will find this hard to swallow: but as we were just discussing...

Sorry, Waspi women, we gave you fair warning​

new

There are clear cases where injustice has occurred and taxpayers should pay for compensation — this is not one of them​

William Hague

Monday March 25 2024, 5.09pm, The Times

‘Congratulations, minister,” were the opening words to me of my new private secretary when I became a minister for the first time in 1993. His next words were, “Unfortunately, as pensions minister, you are going to face a big problem.”
I would learn over the years that it was quite normal to be told in the first few minutes of a ministerial job that there was a large, unexploded bomb sitting in my in-tray. But this one was purest dynamite and I was a brand new minister. The European Court of Justice had ruled — this was long before Brexit was even a twinkle in Nigel Farage’s eye — that discrimination between men and women in pension provision was unlawful. My task was to work out what on earth we were going to do with a British system in which men received their pension at 65 but women could claim it at 60.
After months of midnight oil I finalised the solution, which was then debated for the best part of a year in parliament and finally became the Pensions Act of 1995. We would raise the women’s pension age to 65, but we would do it over an exceptionally long time. We wouldn’t even start changing women’s entitlement for 15 years, until 2010, and then do it gradually until 2020 — a quarter of a century in total. I don’t believe any government policy has ever been deliberately implemented so slowly. The only thing more glacial in government is building a railway line, but that’s not remotely intentional.

I must put my hand up, therefore, in the furore over women’s pensions, the campaign of the Waspi women (Women Against State Pension Inequality), and last week’s opinion from the ombudsman that compensation of up to £10.5 billion should be awarded to some women who were affected. It was I who created the original scheme — although not the more controversial decisions that came later, I hasten to add — and it was I who gave more notice of a change in people’s financial circumstances than any minister has ever given, probably in the whole history of ministers, governments or pensions. There was time for at least three general elections to take place in which anyone might have mounted a campaign to modify the decision, but no one did.

This is important background when considering whether compensation should be paid to those affected by the change. It would be paid by today’s taxpayers and future pensioners, since there isn’t anyone else to pay it. A key part of the ombudsman’s case is that many people were still unaware, a decade after my legislation, that the women’s state pension age was changing. I have some sympathy with this point. Had I still been the minister after all that time I am quite certain that I would have instructed officials to write to every individual who might be affected to make sure they knew. Eventually that was done, but it should have happened faster.

Still, this was hardly a decision that took place in secret. Many millions of people were fully aware of the impending change, over many years. The principle behind the entire policy was to be able to treat people equally. None of this, on its own, justifies paying compensation.

There was then an important twist in this tale when the coalition government that took office in 2010 changed the original plan, announcing that the final stage of raising the women’s pension age would proceed more sharply, from 2018. Even though this was much more speedily communicated to all affected, it was understandably unpopular with people, born for instance in 1954, whose pensionable age jumped up quickly. And the issue is further complicated by other changes to the state pension and the rules for national insurance passed in 2014, although these resulted in a simpler system.

The ombudsman found that the Department for Work and Pensions was poor at handling complaints and inquiries after those changes had been announced. That rings true. But the question is whether it merits compensation adding up to billions of pounds. The political parties have an election coming up but they also know there is no money to spare, so they say they will think about it “in due course” (Conservative) or give it “serious consideration” (Labour). Many MPs want to please the constituents who complain to them so they campaign for large compensation, while often arguing for lower taxes at the same time. It’s easier for me, as one who has long since stopped running for election, to blurt out the truth as I see it.

There are clear cases where such serious harm or injustice has occurred that taxpayers can be expected to pay for compensation. The sub-postmasters scandal is one of those, although at least some of the compensation should come from companies implicated in it. The tragedy of infected blood, the subject of a major inquiry, will be another. But it is much harder to justify large-scale compensation for all the inadequacies in communication by the DWP, for the implementation of policies that were openly declared and debated in a democratic parliament, years before coming into force.

In the same budget of 2010 that began accelerating the increase in the women’s pension age, many changes were made with only months or even days of notice. Child tax credits were cut for better-off families, and VAT and capital gains tax went up. The next year, students’ tuition fees were trebled. We can argue for or against these things, but as in many budgets under all governments they happened at short notice and affected millions of people. What about Gordon Brown’s raid on pension funds in 1997, which took many billions out of occupational pension schemes? There is no way of compensating people for such changes, even though minimal notice was given, without recycling much of the national income among ourselves in compensation payments.

Most crucially, compensation on the scale proposed can only come from people who are now of working age, or a future generation if the money is borrowed. Yet people who are in their thirties today might be 70 or more when they receive a pension, given the ageing of the population. And they are highly unlikely to have “triple-lock” increases in that pension because that will have truly become unsustainable by then. Is it morally right to take away more of their income in compensation for a policy that, even with its later modifications, was publicly set out many years in advance?
All things considered, I don’t think so. Today’s leaders will understandably duck the question. But they should steel themselves to explain that mass compensation must have its limits and is hard to justify in this case.

My wife was also very badly affected by this …. She lost out to the tune of £27,000 .

Whinging ………. I don’t think so ..

You're right Ex, I've had challenges both physical and mental throughout my life but still managed to put in a total of 50 years in the workplace, even working 2 years beyond my official retirement date.

It won't be popular but the current clamour for compensation for the WASPI women is questionable. I clearly remember the discussion and the implementation of the process to gradually raise the pension age for women to the same as men, and also to increase the limit for all. To suggest people weren't properly informed is nonsense, it was widely publicised and I and my then wife received information from the DWP regarding both actions, I think this was as much as 20 years before implementation. I guess those that are complaining are the ones who failed to take in the information and left it too late to make necessary changes.
I have done the same , only ever had two weeks when I claimed sick pay off the government back in the seventies when I cut my hand so badly that I couldn’t work . Never had any time off work claiming “Dole money “

My wife and I always paid a proper NI “stamp”, even when I was a self employed carpenter .
Always paid into a private pension . It wasn’t enough though , but that was always going to be the case due to poor information .

I did fight a case in the nineties and won , regarding being wrongfully “educated” regarding opting out of the state pension, by Lloyds Bank who sold us ( the company I was working for at the time ) a private pension .

My wife requested a pension forecast , two years before her 60 th birthday , and was told , in writing , she had the proper number of “stamps “ to retire with and was given a pay prediction at the retirement age of 60, ..i e , a full pension .

A year before her Sixtieth birthday she received a letter informing her that her retirement date had now been set at 63 and she did not have the required amount of payments to receive a full pension . She was three years short .

Exactly what you are supposed to do with that I’m not sure .
To suggest she knew all these details when she was forty ( twenty years earlier ) is nonsense .
But as much as we moan about it , in pubs with your mates , there was nothing we could do about it and we got on with it.
But we are certainly on board with this campaign.

I don’t think everyone was given the information the government is now claiming .
I would love a face to face meeting with William Hague and show him the official letters we have .

Ben Davies is an educated chap.
In a months time he will have completed his A Coaching Certificate , then he hopes to have his full Coaching badges by the time he finishes playing , and wants to go straight into that side of football .

He is also interested in the business side of the sport and has a masters degree in business economics , attained several years ago .

Captain of his country, …and his wife gave birth to their first child , a son, four days before the team flew off to last summers pre season tour .
Alastair Gold reckons he will either manage or run Tottenham in years to come !

Ben Davies is an educated chap.
In a months time he will have completed his A Coaching Certificate , then he hopes to have his full Coaching badges by the time he finishes playing , and wants to go straight into that side of football .

He is also interested in the business side of the sport and has a masters degree in business economics , attained several years ago .

Captain of his country, …and his wife gave birth to their first child , a son, four days before the team flew off to last summers pre season tour .
Alastair Gold reckons he will either manage or run Tottenham in tears to come !

I've nothing but admiration for Ben. At this stage, I don't think he has so much to offer to the 1st team setup but what you explain above tells you everything about the guy. The interesting question is what should Ben do between now and when he retires from the game? Your playing career is so short and you have to make the most of it. Being a fringe player is not what he should be doing. He has too much to offer at a slightly lower level than where we're heading.

I have done the same , only ever had two weeks when I claimed sick pay off the government back in the seventies when I cut my hand so badly that I couldn’t work . Never had any time off work claiming “Dole money “

My wife and I always paid a proper NI “stamp”, even when I was a self employed carpenter .
Always paid into a private pension . It wasn’t enough though , but that was always going to be the case due to poor information .

I did fight a case in the nineties and won , regarding being wrongfully “educated” regarding opting out of the state pension, by Lloyds Bank who sold us ( the company I was working for at the time ) a private pension .

My wife requested a pension forecast , two years before her 60 th birthday , and was told , in writing , she had the proper number of “stamps “ to retire with and was given a pay prediction at the retirement age of 60, ..i e , a full pension .

A year before her Sixtieth birthday she received a letter informing her that her retirement date had now been set at 63 and she did not have the required amount of payments to receive a full pension . She was three years short .

Exactly what you are supposed to do with that I’m not sure .
To suggest she knew all these details when she was forty ( twenty years earlier ) is nonsense .
But as much as we moan about it , in pubs with your mates , there was nothing we could do about it and we got on with it.
But we are certainly on board with this campaign.

I don’t think everyone was given the information the government is now claiming .
I would love a face to face meeting with William Hague and show him the official letters we have .
It sounds like your wife does have a genuine claim Walt due to the fact it looks like she was was mis-informed when she asked for a pension forecast at age 58. If my assumptions are correct it was already known at that time that the move of the retirement age of 63 had been brought forward by two years from 2020 to 2018 and her pension forecast should have reflected that but it doesn't look like it did. If this is the case it's a mighty mistake by someone in the DWP. Had she known at this stage she would have had the option of making up her contributions so she could receive the full pension.

I've nothing but admiration for Ben. At this stage, I don't think he has so much to offer to the 1st team setup but what you explain above tells you everything about the guy. The interesting question is what should Ben do between now and when he retires from the game? Your playing career is so short and you have to make the most of it. Being a fringe player is not what he should be doing. He has too much to offer at a slightly lower level than where we're heading.
I'd like to see him return to Swansea (his hometown club) to finish his playing career and start his coaching/club management career then return to THFC at some stage probably more likely within the management structure.

No worry PY
As I said they just take their time in diagnosis, we have an idea what it is but it's linked to the immune system.
Don't really discuss her health, it was just in the context of the pension.
We just found it a tad unfair at the time.
As, I said she gets it soon, and I didn't complain about it, it was just that it was brought up and, (for me) there's two sides to every story or argument.
But Thankyou for your kind thoughts my friend.
🙏
Morning Niall, how is the missus today?

Regards Mrs PY, she said could you, if you want to, message me privately with more details and that she will have a chat wiv her many Medical people, serving Military, oppo's, some high up Consultants(Officers) some Nurses(lower ranks) and maybe find out more about your poor Ladies ailments.

You never know it might work.

Morning all my fellow Yids, as you all know now I was fitted wiv a Pacemaker last Tuesday, week ago today, doesn't bloody time fly!

Anyways yesterday I received this communicating gismo from the Medicare peops, its for telling them involved how my PM n Heart is working through the sleep times/night.

So unpack, stick lead in the back of this gismo thingy, place/plug it in, the kit max 3m away from your kip area, so mine is on the bedside cabinet.

Press the centre button, Green light goes round n round talking to/finding my PM whilst am sat on the bed.

After about 10 or 15mins the Green light goes solid, thus its found my PM and is now set up.

About 5pm Mrs PY and her Carer told me to go and have a kip, which I did, lasted about an hour, but on waking up the Green light had gone off, so panic set in, thought typical me nout bloody works, but on re-reading the manual again, it quite clearly said that the Green light would go off in the dark but continue working, that's a Doh! from me.

Awoke this morning to find the Green light on, so that's me feeling a whole lot better.

Tomorrow, a week after having the PM fitted, I can now ave a shower, wash me bonce, and remove the sticky stuff covering my PM wound, having spent a week keeping it dry.

Happy days.

Have a good rest of day peops.