Good Morning Thread | Page 216 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

Luverly jubberly remember all that...where is the hot chestnut bloke with the brazier Walt? That blokein th epics held down 3 or 4 jobs by the looks of it ha ha. And remember the big steam rollers and the men laying asphalt on the roads..none of this crap patchy repair job they do nowadays,,,they did a propa job then! And the smells eh funny how I can still smell the memories sitting here.

Then fellow SOCC members there was the sherbert in screws of newspaper, penny (old like everything else in this thread) chews, fish and chips wrapped in newspaper (I’m sure it gave us great resistance to all germs), cod liver oil and post war orange juice in screw top bottles. And on the newspaper thread of course it was cut up or torn into little squares for the little room and any newspaper not so used was used to make concertina like fire lighters. Blimey where has that all come from, and where has it all gone!

Totally different but as this is the good morning thread. Here about 25 miles north of London, it is lovely and sunny now after early fog. Looks damned cold out and I must go to the allotment to cut a cabbage and dig some parsnips. Hopefully the frosts will not stop the parsnips from lifting easily. Shan’t stay too long though and I think it’s a coffees first while Mrs 54 is round her 94 year old mum’s as her carer helping her have a shower.
Got the old jab lined up for Monday. Mrs 54 wondering when she will get the call. Surprised she has not been as she is in the right age range, recovering from blood cancer and had Covid in April which after effects only really ended in September. Sure she will get called soon.
Must stop my ramblings now. The coffee is calling! Enjoy your day all.

My wife remembers the bomb sites at Fratton Bridge in Portsmouth in the early fifties . Running across both sides of the bridge to get smothered in the steam from the train as it went underneath .

One of my jobs ,,as a boy In Walthamstow , was to sit on the stairs when the coal man called and count the bags as he brought them in , then make sure they were folded flat over his shoulder as he he went out again .,
One of their dodges was to hold onto a lump of coal in the corner of the sack as they emptied it , into the coal hole in the cupboard under the stairs , .
There were two cupboards under the stairs , one was the coal hole and the other was the gas meter . The gas meter one had the gas masks still hanging up on the inside of the door .
If the coalman could hold onto a couple of lumps in every sack , at the end of the day he would have around a hundred sacks with free coal in them .
The day I really enjoyed was when the electric meter man called and emptied the shillings out of the box in the meter , onto the kitchen table .
When he finished counting all the money , there was normally one or two shillings over .
If I was lucky he would give one to me . It was a fortune back then .
It was always a commotion when “ the shilling run out”and the house was plunged into darkness , and we had to light a candle to find our way about .
I was always being sent around the corner shop with a ten bob note, and get ten shilling bits in change .

The bloke that never had any money over , was the one from Radio Rentals who collected the money from the back of the tele.

The dustmen were always invited in for a cup of tea , about six of them I think . They would sit around the table for about half an hour , smoking and eating biscuits .,
We never had to take the dustbin out to the front door , one of them would walk out to the garden , lift the galvanised bin onto his shoulders , take it through the house , empty it into the back of the truck and take it back into the garden . .
Everybody else’s bins were left in the road , and when they had been emptied , the dustmen would put the lid back on upside down.
That was always a dirty , smelly day .
There was always a line of rubbish left in the road behind the dust cart .
The bins were really noisy when they were empty ,
No bin bags then , no recycling , just all sorts of slops chucked into the bin . If it didn’t empty out when it was banged on the side of the truck , it stayed there .
You could smell that truck from miles away .
Millions of flies all over it in the summer , .
Happy days

Morning all esp the SOCC group haha, who the hell started this, past memories, well done that man, its made many of us "think" and remember the good old days.
We can all remember things for those days, but I really believe it was what we saw or did that has made us the peops we are today.

Today everything is sanitized, I remember. which was typical, out with my bruvs and our gang, playing in streets, old warehouses, fields, ponds etc, come home for lunch/dinner, gobble down food, beans on toast, as fast as you can, with Mum shouting "don't forget to wash your bloody hands" oops! all eaten and back out to play or get up to mischief, great days.

Ah well, many more memories/escapades to re-live, but hey! all of you keep safe.

Totally different but as this is the good morning thread. Here about 25 miles north of London, it is lovely and sunny now after early fog. Looks damned cold out and I must go to the allotment to cut a cabbage and dig some parsnips. Hopefully the frosts will not stop the parsnips from lifting easily. Shan’t stay too long though and I think it’s a coffees first while Mrs 54 is round her 94 year old mum’s as her carer helping her have a shower.
Got the old jab lined up for Monday. Mrs 54 wondering when she will get the call. Surprised she has not been as she is in the right age range, recovering from blood cancer and had Covid in April which after effects only really ended in September. Sure she will get called soon.
Must stop my ramblings now. The coffee is calling! Enjoy your day all.
Great to have a new member on the good morning thread 54 .
everyday stories of our humdrum existence and a place to sound off against anything .
Well ........ that’s what I do anyway .
it’s also a laugh . I look forward to it everyday .
we all have our own take on it .
I probably go on too much . ! ( as Nick will tell everyone).
At least I don’t get told off by Richmond on here .........yet! Ha ha .
I love our little exchanges now and again when he tries to tell me what I don’t know .
See..... I’m digressing again .
Harry was good on here .

As an aside , does anyone join in on other Spurs Forums ?
I did start looking on them a while ago but never joined in .
There are some good reads to be had but they don’t seem to be as friendly as ours .
Some are really funny as well .

I’ve got some more photos and stories about the g.o.d,s , ......(.. not GaryOneDaySoon . .... the good old days . )
I will just have to find the time to sort them all out . ( photos , I mean )

ang how , it’s cup weekend , hope everyone is good .
Glad to hear your wife is ok 54 , and her mum is still with you . My wife’s mum is 86 and we go there , taking food ,taking meals my wife cooks for her , I do her household jobs , ..........her tele packed in this morning , the little one in her bedroom . There is always something .
Take care all

Last edited:
Great to have a new member on the good morning thread 54 .
everyday stories of our humdrum existence and a place to sound off against anything .
Well ........ that’s what I do anyway .
it’s also a laugh . I look forward to it everyday .
we all have our own take on it .
I probably go on too much . ! ( as Nick will tell everyone).
At least I don’t get told off by Richmond on here .........yet! Ha ha .
I love our little exchanges now and again when he tries to tell me what I don’t know .
See..... I’m digressing again .
Harry was good on here .

As an aside , does anyone join in on other Spurs Forums ?
I did start looking on them a while ago but never joined in .
There are some good reads to be had but they don’t seem to be as friendly as ours .
Some are really funny as well .

I’ve got some more photos and stories about the g.o.d,s , ......(.. not aryOneDaySoon . .... the good old days . )
I will just have to find the time to sort them all out . ( photos , I mean )

ang how , it’s cup weekend , hope everyone is good .
Glad to hear your wife is ok 54 , and her mum is still with you . My wife’s mum is 86 and we go there , taking food ,taking meals my wife cooks for her , I do her household jobs , ..........her tele packed in this morning , the little one in her bedroom . There is always something .
Take care all

You need to socially distance from TV's Walt...
Most forums are too serious....I dont touch them personally
Who would have thought that Clark would come along and spoil the good feel factor of the Vaccine. ....Super Vaccine has cometh.
Regarding the reminisce show, great pics Walt keep em coming...loads on that Websire I gave you...Pathe News.
Life when we grew up was so so much less complicated and straightforward and aspirations were nowhere near what youngsters go for today.....although when the careers officer visited our school it was 'and what would you like to be/do when you leave?' job opportunites were many and varied ....
If the virus had happened in the 70's Govt. Media and people's reactions would have been so very different from what we are bombarded with today.

Glad it did not of course,....

Keep safe the VARIANTS are coming!,

You need to socially distance from TV's Walt...
Most forums are too serious....I dont touch them personally
Who would have thought that Clark would come along and spoil the good feel factor of the Vaccine. ....Super Vaccine has cometh.
Regarding the reminisce show, great pics Walt keep em coming...loads on that Websire I gave you...Pathe News.
Life when we grew up was so so much less complicated and straightforward and aspirations were nowhere near what youngsters go for today.....although when the careers officer visited our school it was 'and what would you like to be/do when you leave?' job opportunites were many and varied ....
If the virus had happened in the 70's Govt. Media and people's reactions would have been so very different from what we are bombarded with today.

Glad it did not of course,....

Keep safe the VARIANTS are coming!,
Ha ha , I seem to an affinity with/to televisions lately !

I will have another look on Pathe News , ta mate . .

Then fellow SOCC members there was the sherbert in screws of newspaper, penny (old like everything else in this thread) chews, fish and chips wrapped in newspaper (I’m sure it gave us great resistance to all germs), cod liver oil and post war orange juice in screw top bottles. And on the newspaper thread of course it was cut up or torn into little squares for the little room and any newspaper not so used was used to make concertina like fire lighters. Blimey where has that all come from, and where has it all gone!
That was In the days when the print didn’t come off on your hands , or , more importantly , your arse .
The Daily Mirror was our toilet paper of choice back then .
I had forgotten the firefighters ..... then when the coals had just started to burn , a full sized sheet of newspaper was placed over the front of the hearth and the fire would race away like a good ‘un .

I can remember my Great Nan and Grandad never had curtains or table cloths and would use newspapers .
It was always dark in their house because it was too much trouble to take down the newspapers over the windows every day .

My wife remembers the bomb sites at Fratton Bridge in Portsmouth in the early fifties . Running across both sides of the bridge to get smothered in the steam from the train as it went underneath .

One of my jobs ,,as a boy In Walthamstow , was to sit on the stairs when the coal man called and count the bags as he brought them in , then make sure they were folded flat over his shoulder as he he went out again .,
One of their dodges was to hold onto a lump of coal in the corner of the sack as they emptied it , into the coal hole in the cupboard under the stairs , .
There were two cupboards under the stairs , one was the coal hole and the other was the gas meter . The gas meter one had the gas masks still hanging up on the inside of the door .
If the coalman could hold onto a couple of lumps in every sack , at the end of the day he would have around a hundred sacks with free coal in them .
The day I really enjoyed was when the electric meter man called and emptied the shillings out of the box in the meter , onto the kitchen table .
When he finished counting all the money , there was normally one or two shillings over .
If I was lucky he would give one to me . It was a fortune back then .
It was always a commotion when “ the shilling run out”and the house was plunged into darkness , and we had to light a candle to find our way about .
I was always being sent around the corner shop with a ten bob note, and get ten shilling bits in change .

The bloke that never had any money over , was the one from Radio Rentals who collected the money from the back of the tele.

The dustmen were always invited in for a cup of tea , about six of them I think . They would sit around the table for about half an hour , smoking and eating biscuits .,
We never had to take the dustbin out to the front door , one of them would walk out to the garden , lift the galvanised bin onto his shoulders , take it through the house , empty it into the back of the truck and take it back into the garden . .
Everybody else’s bins were left in the road , and when they had been emptied , the dustmen would put the lid back on upside down.
That was always a dirty , smelly day .
There was always a line of rubbish left in the road behind the dust cart .
The bins were really noisy when they were empty ,
No bin bags then , no recycling , just all sorts of slops chucked into the bin . If it didn’t empty out when it was banged on the side of the truck , it stayed there .
You could smell that truck from miles away .
Millions of flies all over it in the summer , .
Happy days
You are jolting my mind Walt! There was always the pig swill man we knew as Swilly Willy and the biscuits well my mum used to send me off round the corner to get a bag of broken biscuits! Tasted just as good!

As for mother in law well I seem to be TV engineer- well switch it and the box off at the wall and on again- seems to work!, plumber, central heating engineer- again the old switch off and on and reset technique and then have been sorting out her gardens. This has involved attacking a very large shrubbery not touched for about 8 years, digging out the rockery (moving those heavy rocks was a challenge and dismantling a decrepit old wood and plastic greenhouse which took some doing. Now got the stuff to build a new decent greenhouse but need to build a wall up a bit and put a base down first before I can put it up. Bit of a challenge as whilst fit and active my skill set was from behind a desk! Having said that I am looking forward to the challenge. Waiting for a break in the weather - good excuse for delay.
Enough rambling. You’ve heard enough from me for one day I think!

You are jolting my mind Walt! There was always the pig swill man we knew as Swilly Willy and the biscuits well my mum used to send me off round the corner to get a bag of broken biscuits! Tasted just as good!

As for mother in law well I seem to be TV engineer- well switch it and the box off at the wall and on again- seems to work!, plumber, central heating engineer- again the old switch off and on and reset technique and then have been sorting out her gardens. This has involved attacking a very large shrubbery not touched for about 8 years, digging out the rockery (moving those heavy rocks was a challenge and dismantling a decrepit old wood and plastic greenhouse which took some doing. Now got the stuff to build a new decent greenhouse but need to build a wall up a bit and put a base down first before I can put it up. Bit of a challenge as whilst fit and active my skill set was from behind a desk! Having said that I am looking forward to the challenge. Waiting for a break in the weather - good excuse for delay.
Enough rambling. You’ve heard enough from me for one day I think!
Ah , the old two pennarth of broken biscuits . I remember them well .
Every Saturday evening I would be sent to the corner shop for 2ounces of A1 ( tobacco for my Dad ) forty Guards( fags for my Mum ) and the Evening News Pink edition for the football scores and reports .
Always got change out of a ten bob note !