Gills vs Rotherham | Page 2 | Vital Football

Gills vs Rotherham

One season out of about the last ten that has been good. 15/16 was painful as we melted so appallingly, miraculously avoiding the playoffs. 8 out 10 boring apart from some fear of relegation. Shite at home still.

If I were Evans, I’d spend the next week working on set plays alone. This season, we’ve had so many free kicks in the opponent’s half, corners and Byrne long throws. Every time we throw Ehmer and Ogilvie up as target men. Cannot remember the last time that we scored from one of these set pieces. Cannot remember when Ehmer or Ogilvie won the first header from one of these set plays.

We couldn't put two passes together, couldn't out jump any of their defenders and had only two shots on target. We were so poor that Marshall looked our most dangerous player. Oh yes, much better football under SE at home.

I wish it wasn't the case.

I wish I hadn't made the effort to turn up, although the RE was much more accommodating than the football.

If I were Evans, I’d spend the next week working on set plays alone. This season, we’ve had so many free kicks in the opponent’s half, corners and Byrne long throws. Every time we throw Ehmer and Ogilvie up as target men. Cannot remember the last time that we scored from one of these set pieces. Cannot remember when Ehmer or Ogilvie won the first header from one of these set plays.
Ehmer or Ogilvie should come short at corners and long throws if they can't win headers in the box.

Should also send the front line to the gym to work on upper body strength. We’re too lightweight and opposition defenders boss Hanlon.

Maybe also try and teach the rest of the team to try playing a through ball to our pacy forwards rather than forcing them to come short and get out-muscled.

That’s it. My mattress is well and truly soaked all the way through.

Absolutely. Either not close to where the ball is put, or no effective challenge.

Men against boys today. Couldn’t match them physically. Nothing up front and liable to errors at the back. Rotherham were solid and took their chances when they came along, without having to create a great deal themselves.

Puzzled why Pringle never seems to get on the pitch - he`s a darned good combative and play-widening attacking midfielder. Presume he`s not match fit ? But then why is he on the bench ?

Anyway, we`re preparing for a very deep cup run..... :slap:

Same shit different day. Main difference today was the collective poor performances by Ogilvie and Ehmer, combined with an anonymous Jones, a culpable Bonham and Tucker who, bless him, seems unwilling to get forward. Be it youth or maybe he’s more of a CB than FB/WB.

Going forward is the same shit each week. Keeper hoofs it forward, and if it doesn’t reach the keeper then we chase the defenders to win the ball back. Stop building a forward line with 2 or 3 wide forwards only, you’ll never have a striker where you want him which is off the shoulder of a defender, or one who’ll be able to get a shot off in the box. How many decent corners at the start of the second half to which we didn’t even get a shot off?!

Barely scraped a shot on target with a tame effort from outside the box at the end by Lee. Hopefully he’s back in contention now, should give us an ounce of creativity should we win the ball back in their half, but there’s no hope of us building anything from the back. I wouldn’t mind us failing to break through a defence and being forced to go back over the halfway line to the keeper, but you know the only reply will be a hoof back to the other team.

Wishing Pringle and Mandron to start. Also wishing us to buy a proper striker.

Men against boys today. Couldn’t match them physically. Nothing up front and liable to errors at the back. Rotherham were solid and took their chances when they came along, without having to create a great deal themselves.

That's pretty much how I saw it.
Very disappointing performance.

Another poor day. I don't see many of the kids on a quid begging to be taken back and that's the vicious circle, falling crowds, lower budgets, shitter players.

I don't think the subs made any difference and we may as well return Ndjoli to his parent club he offers little.

Hanlan has exciting pace but has no idea what to do when it comes to a decision, hence he fell over trying to con a pen.

bottom line they were bigger, stronger, better and had more quality. That's what happens when you have a bottom three budget. People will start calling for the managers head soon but that changes little. The problem is with poor quality throughout the squad.