Gills signing 2 new players today | Page 2 | Vital Football

Gills signing 2 new players today

Preparing for League Two? No, I don't think so. We are trying our best to be competitive in League One albeit with a League Two budget (if that).

As I said at the start of the season, 20th with some encouraging signs for next season will be good enough for me,

Dover GK seems very unlikely as posters on their board are discussing possibilities of getting a loanee IN. They only have Mitch Walker on the books.

I recall him playing for Peterborough against us in 2014 at their place, he is an absolute monster but we thought the best way to a result was long ball up to Weston and Cody.

We lost 2-0.

I believe the 'Dover goalkeeper' he may have been refering to is Steve Arnold. Was their GK last season but left at the end. Was at FGR (under Ady) before that. Was linked to us a few weeks back in the Kent Messenger.

Quote from a Crewe fan on the League 1 forum
'That, like Bingham, he's a nice lad but totally out of his depth in L1. I'm afraid its another signing that screams "we'll be playing L2 football next season". With both Bingham and Nugent, I'd imagine most Crewe fans would have pegged them down as being Conference bound once we released them in the summer. But somehow you've signed them both and they've moved up a level. Don't get your hopes up on Ben.'

WE are 2 games into the season, no club prepares for relegation in August. Just stop crying into your beer, the players did not sign to be relegated. There are still 44 games to play 132 points we need at least 52 more to stay up. All this negativity is pathetic give the players and management your support, all we can do is encourage the team to do their best and hopefully we will get better and start to pick up points.

Spot on.

If the vibe on here is in any way indicative of the atmosphere at Priestfield, then I'm glad I have to work weekends :80:

Well, on FIFA15 Nugent developed into an England defender so must be good :80:

With Zakuani having international call ups we need cover. So I'm happy (providing he is the last defender in). Just wait to see who Ade brings in up front now,

The Holy Spirit - 15/8/2017 22:06

Quote from a Crewe fan on the League 1 forum
'That, like Bingham, he's a nice lad but totally out of his depth in L1. I'm afraid its another signing that screams "we'll be playing L2 football next season". With both Bingham and Nugent, I'd imagine most Crewe fans would have pegged them down as being Conference bound once we released them in the summer. But somehow you've signed them both and they've moved up a level. Don't get your hopes up on Ben.@'

Don't believe that for a moment, I suspect that in the case of both Bingham and Nugent, they were not "released" but left of there own accord as Crewe could not afford to offer them acceptable contracts due partly to their recent injury records. It is not just the time they spend out but also the time it takes to reach full match fitness. Hence why we would not have wanted Quigley or Cornick back and many think they are only non league standard.

We are obviously taking a punt that they can reach full match fitness with us and Bingham's almost immediate injury does not bode well for the future. Could be another Herd.

Nugent played 17 games for Crewe in Division Two last season. The only time he has been in Division Two. He was relegated with them. The rest of his career he has played Championship and Division One games. There is a possibility that he just didn't get on with a poor Crewe team.

Razorpound - 16/8/2017 10:28

Nugent played 17 games for Crewe in Division Two last season. The only time he has been in Division Two. He was relegated with them. The rest of his career he has played Championship and Division One games. There is a possibility that he just didn't get on with a poor Crewe team.

I give him 16 games with us then :19:

Bromley_GFC - 16/8/2017 10:29

Oh and at 6'3 in height I am genuinely excited that I may get a chance to join Gillingham, the club I've always supported. That seems to be the criteria this season. :35:

I'm 6 ft 3 too - I've not played football for 15 years and I'm 2 stone overweight, but I could stand in the 6 yard box at corners.

SuperGillsfc - 15/8/2017 15:34

Hi everyone this is my first post after being a reader for some time

Gills are signing Crewe defender 6ft 5 David nugent today and also a GK from Dover
What with our bargin basement buys this window, I imagine the Goalkeeper we are picking up from Dover is in the back of a lorry parked in the services.

GillsBluenose - 16/8/2017 10:26

Bingham's almost immediate injury does not bode well for the future. Could be another Herd.

Bingham only got injured by kicking the bottom of someone's boot. So in that respect it's nothing like Herd.

Once he's back fit I'm sure he's going to be a big player this season.