Gills Old Boys | Page 2 | Vital Football

Gills Old Boys

News fresh in of a , well, kind of, Gills Old Boy. I speak of the man who never was - Bondz N`Gala, who this morning signed for Ebbsfleet United, just in time for their game at AFC Fylde tomorrow.

Tonight 10.45pm on BT Sport 2 - documentary titled "The Gaffer" features ex Gills Neil Smith and Ben Strevens, managers of Bromley and Eastleigh respectively. A behind the scenes look at managing in the National League..

Noel Mbo scored his first goal in Finnish footy on Monday when he came on as a
sub and scored Eskilsminne IF `s second goal in a 3-1 win over Kristianstad in the Finnish 1st division. He`s currently on what appears to be a four month loan from Helsingborg.

Noel Mbo scored his first goal in Finnish footy on Monday when he came on as a
sub and scored Eskilsminne IF `s second goal in a 3-1 win over Kristianstad in the Finnish 1st division. He`s currently on what appears to be a four month loan from Helsingborg.
Another one we missed out on ?

Watched "The Gaffer", a documentary on BT Sport 2 - very interesting, a good watch. Featured "behind the scenes" coverage of several National League managers - mostly Neil Smith (including big Jim Stannard - also at Bromley) and Ben Strevens at Eastleigh; also Craig Hignett at Hartlepool and John F***ing Still at Fu***ng Maidstone United (watch and you`ll get that). Interesting from a player/man management perspective, watching how the Gaffers` motivated and encouraged their players. Craig Hignett implied that there are a lot of "softer" players in the game than in previous generations and that shouting at them wasn`t always the best method..

Interesting although we shouldn't be totally surprised. The "snowflake" generation is probably represented in most professions.
Must try to find that on catch up somewhere.

Imagine winning 8-1 and 10-0 then 3 months later sacking your manager after a 0-6 defeat ?

That was without doubt the worst decision the club ever made. Worse than selling the land that is now Gordon Road. Worse than telling Peter Beardsley he wasn't good enough. Worse than any managerial appointment or player signing. Worse than anything Scally has ever done. Just the worst decision ever. To follow that up by banning Sir Keith from the stadium. Just absolutely shocking. Still now!

That was without doubt the worst decision the club ever made. Worse than selling the land that is now Gordon Road. Worse than telling Peter Beardsley he wasn't good enough. Worse than any managerial appointment or player signing. Worse than anything Scally has ever done. Just the worst decision ever. To follow that up by banning Sir Keith from the stadium. Just absolutely shocking. Still now!

Glad I’m not the only one still struggling with that decision.

I think what made it worse was that Sir K claimed the players felt they could play better 'their' way so Sir K told them they were welcome to try. When they won the Southend game 8-1 he allegedly said to them "I bet you couldn't do that again" and apparently had money with each player, resulting in the 10-0 victory on September the 5th!
He subsequently took back control, but apart from the cup game away to Stoke, we won two and drew two of our next 5 games before losing in the league away at Chester 1-0 on Sept 29th.
Keith was sacked on December 29th the day after the 6-0 loss to Aldershot.
We ended 13th whereas Chester ended up two below us in 15 place.

I loved watching Colin Greenhall. A very cultured centre half when we usually had big lumps who put it in row Z at the earliest opportunity. Very good player for us.

We paid good money for greenall. Where did he go when he left us? Presumably up the leagues but I don't remember