Gills Old Boys | Vital Football

Gills Old Boys

Vambogills

Vital Football Hero
An AFC Wimbledon mate messaged me last night about what to expect from Luke O'Neill.
I told him not to worry but to brace himself for the beauty of a Luke O'Neill free kick.
Just got this sent back from him...

'Pre-season friendly this afternoon and “75 | GOAL! @lukeoneill_7 with a cracking set-piece delivery from the free-kick makes it Hampton & Richmond 1, #AFCW 3.” Just as you’d said ?'

Apologies for the bragging but when you've been wrong about Trump and Brexit and Boris and Lovell it's nice to get something right.

I always rated O'Neil going forward from full back.Unfortunately defensively he was far too often found wanting. Our defence wasn't always the best but a lot of the problems started with Luke O'Neil.I would expect more of the same at AFC Wimbledon.

I always rated O'Neil going forward from full back.Unfortunately defensively he was far too often found wanting. Our defence wasn't always the best but a lot of the problems started with Luke O'Neil.I would expect more of the same at AFC Wimbledon.
Perhaps he should have played right midfield all along.

Another name from the past - Colin Greenall, who these days is an football analyst on BBC Radio Lancashire. Only learned that last night whilst listening to the radio summary on my way back home after the AFC Fylde v Chorley game. Greenall joined the Gills from Blackpool back in the eighties and was an excellent central defender for the couple of seasons he was with us. Clearly still has a love of the game and was very interesting to listen to post game.

Another name from the past - Colin Greenall, who these days is an football analyst on BBC Radio Lancashire. Only learned that last night whilst listening to the radio summary on my way back home after the AFC Fylde v Chorley game. Greenall joined the Gills from Blackpool back in the eighties and was an excellent central defender for the couple of seasons he was with us. Clearly still has a love of the game and was very interesting to listen to post game.

I loved watching Colin Greenhall. A very cultured centre half when we usually had big lumps who put it in row Z at the earliest opportunity. Very good player for us.

Anyone remember Kenny Hill ?

He was a lump of a defender for Gills.
I played in the same Vets team as him a few years back and he was bloody brilliant compared to most of us.
Nigel Donn played in the same team and he was a class above as well.

Didn't Colin Greenhall score a spectacular headed own goal in the first 5 mins of an FA cup game against West Brom ?? or Sheffield Wednesday??
I remember him as a very solid center-back with good distribution.

Good to hear about him. I thought he was an outstanding player (albeit amongst dross at the time). One of my favourite Gills.

Anyone remember Kenny Hill ?

He was a lump of a defender for Gills.
I played in the same Vets team as him a few years back and he was bloody brilliant compared to most of us.
Nigel Donn played in the same team and he was a class above as well.
Hill was a fringe player in our promotion side of 74 iirc. Think I remember him heading a winner in a crucial home game near the end of that season (v Mansfield?).

Just checked. It was our penultimate game, v Brentford, which kept us in with a chance of winning the league at the time.

Good to hear about him. I thought he was an outstanding player (albeit amongst dross at the time). One of my favourite Gills.

I spat me tea all over the place then Gills58.

Among dross??

Colin played the whole season of 86/87 in our heroic play-off side that beat Sunlan and was cheated out of promotion by Swindon.

(Not that I’m still bitter or anything).

Admittedly the next season was poorer (13th) once Cas had gone and Sir Keefy sacked. But still not exactly dross.

Hill was a fringe player in our promotion side of 74 iirc. Think I remember him heading a winner in a crucial home game near the end of that season (v Mansfield?).

Just checked. It was our penultimate game, v Brentford, which kept us in with a chance of winning the league at the time.
I remember him being referred to as ‘ Benny Hill ‘ as he used to make everyone laugh....

He scored in the opening game of 1971/2 a 4-0 win in the first round of the League Cup. I dragged my then girlfriend along but she was a whole lot less excited than I was and distinctly unimpressed when I tried to persuade her to let her little brother tag along.

Among dross??

Colin played the whole season of 86/87 in our heroic play-off side that beat Sunlan and was cheated out of promotion by Swindon.

Admittedly the next season was poorer (13th) once Cas had gone and Sir Keefy sacked. But still not exactly dross.
Yes, OSK, I'm getting on a bit so memory failing me. I was thinking of his last few days with us when we were on the slide but he was still outstanding. Also remember that og.

Among dross??

Why were we cheated out of promotion that year ? Because of no away goals counting in the event of a tie ?

Why were we cheated out of promotion that year ? Because of no away goals counting in the event of a tie ?
Yes, I remember now. Wasn't it the only competition where they didn't count double even though they had up until the final?

Also, wasn't that the year Swindon had committed some financial offence for which they were punished one or two years later?

Cheating bar stewards

Yes, I remember now. Wasn't it the only competition where they didn't count double even though they had up until the final?

Also, wasn't that the year Swindon had committed some financial offence for which they were punished one or two years later?

Cheating bar stewards
Think that was about 10 years later. Just looked it up it was the year away goals didn't count. I,d never seen a Gills team so battered in the second half away at Swindon and remember thinking we would never keep our lead. We were terrible in the playoff and deserved to lose. The only consolation was that my girlfriend at the time seemed more upset than i was, but that was because she reminded me that i had promised to marry her if the Gills were promoted.
From despair to elation in a nano second

No, I’m referrring to the “financial irregularities” around the time.

In the early 90’s Swindon we’re investigated (and subsequently relegated 2 whole divisions) by the inland revenue iirc, for financial stuff revolving around illegal payments to players and agents and tax evasion. I think it was specifically about the 1990 season when they were again promoted, but strongly suspected (especially by us Gills) to have been happening in earlier seasons too. ie 1987.

The fact they were relegated by 2 divs means it must have been pretty serious stuff.