Gills in the Pub - Episode 11 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Gills in the Pub - Episode 11

So by even questioning Clemence’s record so far (surely that’s reasonable we’ve only won 3 times in the league at home since he took over 4 months ago, the most recent being a scrappy 1-0 win against Suttton in December) that’s “attacking “ the chairman? That just doesn’t make sense . Surely everyone massively appreciates Brad and Shannon’s efforts, but you’re allowed to make observations that may be negative about the management. If that makes Brad and Shannon want to not stick around it would just remind me of Scally’s brattish behaviour nearer the end where no one could say anything negative without him getting in a childish strop. These people are business people, they understand they’ll make decisions that won’t always be right and when they do they’ll need to correct them. I’m hopeful this isn’t one of those times and all will work out well for Clemence but, it has not been a good opening 4 months for him and not it’s unreasonable / attacking to point that out.

UTG.
We have a squad of players that in the main are struggling to get goals in league two for two very different managers.It is not in the chairmans interest to say that there are many who really are never going to be able to make the step up to league one regardless of who is in charge.
If we changed managers tomorrow we would still have the same players and they are very unlikely to score enough goals to get promoted for anyone.
Blame Clemence for not getting a twenty goal man in January.
Or be patient and we rebuild in the summer with a decent budget to work with?

Great session yet again

Not sure on the Mahoney hit but we will have to agree to disagree 😀
Technical ability wise he’s streets away the best in the squad. He’s chipped in with a few goals and assists which is more than the vast majority of the others have done. Yes he’s not going to chase lost causes and clatter into their players to win the ball back, but we have other players for those jobs.

We have a squad of players that in the main are struggling to get goals in league two for two very different managers.It is not in the chairmans interest to say that there are many who really are never going to be able to make the step up to league one regardless of who is in charge.
If we changed managers tomorrow we would still have the same players and they are very unlikely to score enough goals to get promoted for anyone.
Blame Clemence for not getting a twenty goal man in January.
Or be patient and we rebuild in the summer with a decent budget to work with?
Nobody is suggesting changing manager tomorrow Chris.
That’s simply not going to happen.
But, given that the target for success was the playoffs minimum, it stands to reason that if his target is not achieved, it’s right that his situation is examined.
Next season, the majority of this squad will still be at Gills.

Nobody is suggesting changing manager tomorrow Chris.
That’s simply not going to happen.
But, given that the target for success was the playoffs minimum, it stands to reason that if his target is not achieved, it’s right that his situation is examined.
Next season, the majority of this squad will still be at Gills.
I had a very difficult day yesterday.In some ways this board helped, in other ways it wasn't.Better today but difficult times ahead in the next few months for both Gillingham FC and myself in all probability.I had to and did keep calm and perhaps I wrote my frustrations on here instead.I can see light at the end of the tunnel in both cases .But to a certain extent both won't really be affected by what I think and do.In both cases I need to ride out the current storm calmer seas will arrive.
In both cases I want to look forward into the distance and head there .Others seem more comfortable with going round in circles .Perhaps we are not that far apart now.But we see a very different direction.
I think we will struggle until Andrews is fit and we can bring in a fox in the box.But unlike most I don't blame Clemence for that.I hope BG is able to give him time.

I have watched about 45 minutes so far and I think what the three guys have said is pretty calm, intelligent, balanced and accurate. They are the antithesis of the reactionary types on Facebook, etc.

That stat suggesting that you may as well not turn up until half time at Priestfield these days if you are looking for Gills goals was a bit of a shocker.

I can also see where they are coming from about Clemence still thinking more like an assistant than the man in charge, which makes some sense. I am sure someone else said that Stockdale came across as more like the number one and motivator at the Fans forum.

Also quite revealing that the club felt they almost had to give the job to SC when he gave a presentation analysing all our players and previous games. Impressive, but does that make him a motivator or leader of men? I am sure that BG can identify one of them so I presume that he is seen as being capable of that.

Anyway, everyone agrees that he will, and should, see the season out and a review and assessment will be made in the summer.

I’m amazed that they appear to have exactly the same opinions as my own.
When Harris was dismissed, there were very few voices on here saying that it could be a massive mistake because the assumption was that better performances were around the corner.
Reece confirmed that pretty much every stat has gone backwards.
Like everyone else, I’m not calling for anyone out but merely pointing out facts, which are often lost in emotive arguments.

When Harris was dismissed, there were very few voices on here saying that it could be a massive mistake because the assumption was that better performances were around the corner.
Like everyone else, I’m not calling for anyone out but merely pointing out facts, which are often lost in emotive arguments.

Not sure ( although I know what BG said at the time) whether NH was sacked for the longer term or shorter term view.

I guess if we're still having this conversation in 6 months time after a Summer transfer window and a pre season for SC to implement his ways and 'style' then it's been a poor decision.

To judge SC now is whilst the obvious and easy thing to do is harsh. As GH said in the pod these players have proved they can't perform consistently under three different mangers. Don't think there is more than a couple of players who could look in the mirror and say they've done/given their maximum consistently under all 3 in that time. That's an indictment on them as individuals. Only way that is going to change is by bringing in different players.

Hopefully the longer view will look better an we'll all get the benefits. To get rid of SC now would be madness and unless things go rally wonky between now and the summer even then harsh.

Patience is what's needed whoever the new manager was going to be once the decision was made to get rid of NH and as many have said the timing of that was strange. However SC needs to be given time, unless we're going down the Watford route of sacking managers every 6 months, which as BG has said would lead to anything but a sustainable future.

Last edited:

I’ll hold my own hand up and admit I thought at the time performances would improve.

Because I believed it was Harris’ fault, but that’s why I’ve pivoted to the players - I don’t necessarily think Harris or Clemence are bad managers (I wouldn’t say they’re great either for the level) but they’ve both been badly let down by a set of players badly underperforming v their ability.

I’ll hold my own hand up and admit I thought at the time performances would improve.

Because I believed it was Harris’ fault, but that’s why I’ve pivoted to the players - I don’t necessarily think Harris or Clemence are bad managers (I wouldn’t say they’re great either for the level) but they’ve both been badly let down by a set of players badly underperforming v their ability.
Think attention needs to be focused on the recruitment team responsible for signing many of these underperforming players.

Yep, excellent watch as usual.

@Gills_Horse - If those bloody pumps ever get commissioned I think you should be the first person to pull and sup a pint from them.

Let’s hope they flush them pipes through thoroughly first, huh?!

I will offer to cut the ribbon, and enjoy every last drop of a sumptuous pint, cleaned pipes or not 😂