Gills Friendlies 2018-19 | Page 3 | Vital Football

Gills Friendlies 2018-19

They’re showing the England games on a screen down the car park part of the Harbour Arm, aren’t they? I remember going in one of the bars on it pre-World Cup and they were saying each bar was looking at doing a pop-up bar down there. Only negative is it’ll be rammed with the type who like to throw their beers up in the air after every goal. I’ve got to be in a particular mood for that :unsure:
One of my great childhood memories of watching england was being about 17 watching England vs Portugal in the garden of the red dog in high halstow. Sol Campbell disallowed goal in the last minute. Is that place still going? I had many an underage drink down there back in the day. Do they still put on a huge screen outside for major tournaments?

One of my great childhood memories of watching england was being about 17 watching England vs Portugal in the garden of the red dog in high halstow. Sol Campbell disallowed goal in the last minute. Is that place still going? I had many an underage drink down there back in the day. Do they still put on a huge screen outside for major tournaments?

I used to frequent The Red Dog back in my cricket days. I played 1 season for High Halstow, but also for many seasons with away teams we'd often have a few in the cricket club pavillion then retire to the RD till closing time. And when I was back in UK 2 years ago I went through there and stopped off for a lunch time pint. Still going. i had a nostalgic stroll across the wicket too, as well as at Leeds (overlooking the Castle).

Welling friendly has been called off but now playing Whitstable away on 18/7. This amount of friendlies has bad injuries written all over it.

Saw the young pro's last night at Faversham. Virtually no rain for a couple of months and 'grass' cut very short. Strangely quiet sort of game. They seemed a bit tentative - maybe they sensed that a baked hard surface would be dangerous if they went in too hard - broken bones that much more likely

Saw the young pro's last night at Faversham. Virtually no rain for a couple of months and 'grass' cut very short. Strangely quiet sort of game. They seemed a bit tentative - maybe they sensed that a baked hard surface would be dangerous if they went in too hard - broken bones that much more likely
Moussa look like he’s worth a contract or impossible to judge given the opposition?

Played well against limited opposition. Maybe he's got to play very well to get a contract though as we're not short of similar midfielders.

Possibly Lovell invited him back as a gesture. However I do believe that there is money left in the kitty to be spent where ever it can be best used .

Not really a slim chance of a contract and pre season games is better than a lack of fitness. We have a lot of games Lovell needs enough players to get through them .

Problem is that with two games at the same time it is hard for my little brain to decide which one to go to lol.

It will be interesting when SL will start to play a team that resembles a starting line up.

Not expecting more than one extra signing.

I was tempted to go to Margate vs Gills, but I have a load of mates who want to go for beers and want to watch the 3rd place play-off instead Hitting Picked Folkestone to go to instead, but I better be in charge of the pubs and bars we go to:guiness:

Apparently there are a mix of first team players, reserves and kids at both matches.
Lovell is at Tonbridge, so I would guess that match might have a few more first team players and Patterson will be taking the team to Margate.
I will be watching the World Cup 3rd place playoff so won’t be attending either friendly, although I suspect the playoff may be like a friendly match itself.

As the only game against EFL, or higher, opposition, Colchester should be a good test, so worth the trip. SL must have his reasons, but i`m still a tad bewildered that we have not secured another EFL team to play against - maybe there`s a "behind closed doors"(EFL) game planned.