General Football thread | Page 459 | Vital Football

General Football thread

As far as I'm aware, the result of the Luton game was free of referee controversy. Luton did get 10 minutes extra time to try and find an equaliser, if you want to play this game.

I don't know why you're upset about fans on a forum being upset about a plethora of really poor refereeing going against us. If any other team in the league had the decisions we've had since Nuno took over, they'd be kicking up a fuss too.

This narrative of a conspiracy theory. It's being overstated. Nobody is really suggesting the PL and PGMOL are meeting in secret rooms wearing cultists robes and plotting the downfall of NFFC.

I think there's a certain amount of sense in saying subconscious bias might be filtering through. Neutrals want the fairytale of Luton surviving, and we're the ones they're chasing, which means neutrals want us to lose games. Referees are just normal blokes who are into their football, and probably would like that same fairytale as everyone else. It doesn't have to be a deliberate thing, but just the benefit of the doubt going against us. Then VAR hasn't been overturning it because it's not clear and obvious enough.

What I do know is the string of terrible decisions that have gone against us is mathematically unlikely to just be rank incompetence - thats a 50/50 split. As I've said before, sit and flip a coin. See how many attempts you have to make to get 8 or 9 heads from 10 coin flips. Hint: it won't be quick.
Have you not seen the Tom Stoppard play, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"?

I have not, and I have little inclination to check it out either. You'll have to give me a brief synopsis.
Quite right! That play is about minor characters in Hamlet, who are sent with a message that will involve them being killed, so Stoppard's play is about the nature of fate, and predestination. It and has a scene in it where one of them keeps tossing a coin which repeatedly lands on "heads".

Poor old Pope; desperate to be needed. Complains that I am imposing on him to, "spend an hour+ of your Friday researching and writing a match thread for me to read and enjoy?", but when I'm not, then wants to do it, so that then he has a place to dish out his contradictory opinions in a patronising way, and then be rude when they are criticised. Let's hope that his "fervant" fans don't tire him out too much- here's a start: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcpxns1mn#?date=2024-03-16

FFS - give it a rest or get a room!

Quite right! That play is about minor characters in Hamlet, who are sent with a message that will involve them being killed, so Stoppard's play is about the nature of fate, and predestination. It and has a scene in it where one of them keeps tossing a coin which repeatedly lands on "heads".

owd democritus and the determinists. did Stoppard write that before they invented quantum computing?

asking for a friend 😉

No just making a point.

Can you possibly imagine the scrutiny we would give the ref and VAR in a game we are leading 3-0 at half time and then concede 4 in second half to lose?

Anything we could blame on somebody else we would do. A throw in the wrong way would be the final nail in the conspiracy theory

I've no idea if Luton fans think there's a conspiracy against them as well

But surely there's some refs decisions second half in that game gone against them?

Like happens to us?

Just wondered if they blame refs and VAR like we do for being near the bottom?
Brilliant!

Headline in media yesterday about Williams and Awoniyi taking the mickey and laughing at Tofollo’s new haircut. The interesting thing is that the author rates Tofollo as a £10m player. Last season he was a make weight in a £6m deal. P&S has nothing on Forest.

Headline in media yesterday about Williams and Awoniyi taking the mickey and laughing at Tofollo’s new haircut. The interesting thing is that the author rates Tofollo as a £10m player. Last season he was a make weight in a £6m deal. P&S has nothing on Forest.
he deserves the ribbing haha

Surprised Liverpool lost to such an inferior side but anything can happen in a cup game.

Before Liverpool had all the kids on, they were levels above.

Touch of Forest about them today though!