Fuel Crisis/Energy (Previously Meter Readings) | Page 23 | Vital Football

Fuel Crisis/Energy (Previously Meter Readings)

Big ugly things aren't they. Which to be fair, if they work and do help the environment, isn't a major issue for anyone who has a side entrance or garden etc... There isn't anywhere (a coachhouse style doo dah) one could go at mine I don't think, unless it could go inside the front of the garage (which I don't think they can)

Also been told, not fact checked, they are really hard to get up to a proper warm temperature in the winter, I'm sure I was told you can only get them up to about 18 degrees. That article does suggest issues with getting the system working well enough to properly heat the room though.
They work ok, but need special large radiators, and only really work ok in new build houses that are totally insulated, which cannot be done by retro fitting in older houses.

Reminder , today is the day to read your meters and take pics of them as tarriffs change at midnight so avoid any overcharges

Electricity companies will no longer be able to deploy a controversial tactic that forces up bills at the expense of consumers, the energy watchdog has said as it unveiled rules designed to curb firms making “excessive” profits in the winter.

Well done Ofgem....only took Bloomberg to point it out eh.

They are generators, they should be on for peak times and simply allowed lower outputs at non peak times, not arbitrarily switch themselves off and refuse to come back on line unless paid more.

Thatcher really was a genius.

Water, gas, electricity, public transport.

Should all be under state control*

That's not a leftie/woke/commie position. It's just fucking common sense. It should not be profit-driven. Although if it is, those profits could be ploughed back into improving the services.

*Mind you, under the current shitshow, maybe that wouldn't help.

I see the flaw in my plan 😂

That's not a leftie/woke/commie position. It's just fucking common sense. It should not be profit-driven. Although if it is, those profits could be ploughed back into improving the services.

Yup, that's the problem, privatisation was a Tory wet dream and ill thought out like normal. Nationalisation was right, but Labour were too busy sucking the unions who took the same coin for themselves.

It should be nationalised and the coin goes back to the taxpayer (both the Treasury for other work, but also in price charged as nobody is creaming off th top. Workers and managers are on fair wages but no Directors or shareholders milking them.

My biggest problem is I trust none of them to implement my version of nationalisation. Because, particularly energy, I have no understanding of why Saudi or the US or OPEC should set prices on our own commodity.

And simply put, national security in effect should not be at the behest of foreign countries - even if we like them.

Should have never been privatised, should have been modernised - which was SO needed and should have been top business people in charge, so they were not only efficient, effective and serving the public properly (not serving shareholders) but also the profits could have been ploughed into the country (instead of the obvious loss of all that money to shareholders) for even more improvements.

To me, this was never rocket science. The old nationalised industries were beasts, they weren't working, they could easily have become massive assets to this country.

I could never understand why we didn't also do the same with car manufacturers, instead of selling off, nationalise them (not in a leftie way, same as you are saying) make decent products, sell them as 'buy British' and take pride in giving people jobs.

The social cost of Rover closing for instance, is probably more than helping fund keeping the company going. That is all flats and shops now, and so where are the jobs for all those workers? Look at areas up north, that have lost the youth to either drugs or them re-locating, the old fellas/ladies have no jobs, prospects, won't move areas (and why should they) and the areas have been left to go wrack and ruin. Imagine the cost, in NHS, police, benefits..... and the social cost of drugs, alcoholism, vandalism, no pride or prospects, leading to the mental damage. That, and I have no figures to back this up, just my belief, surely costs more than propping up decent industries making products we all need, as opposed to importing everything from China.

My biggest problem is I trust none of them to implement my version of nationalisation. Because, particularly energy, I have no understanding of why Saudi or the US or OPEC should set prices on our own commodity
And therein lies the problem. We are constantly bombarded by greens ramming cheap green energy down our throats to suit their mantra, but at the same time I don't see any of them saying they will break the link with the oil and gas prices. Until someone has the guts to do this I will still see them as part of the problem, not the solution.
As for @juanpabloangels point above, I agree with you 100% mate. However they will all have to work a bloody sight better if nationalised again than they did before, because they were a shambles, and left the door wide open for Maggie to walk in and privatise them.

Thing is though Wittonite, neither is Sunak as he opens more North Sea drill sites. At least there is a benefit to green energy even if the prices remain the same.

The managed market has to absolutely be addressed though, and nobody can do that until we are far more self sufficient, as we lack the power right now to dictate or tell them to politely F off.

With so many options available we shouldn't be using gas to create electricity now for a start. We could isolate ourselves on those terms very easily.

The managed market has to absolutely be addressed though, and nobody can do that until we are far more self sufficient, as we lack the power right now to dictate or tell them to politely F off.
We will never reform the market because too many people are making too much money from it. It's not in their interest to do so. Don't care if Labour do get in, it won't make any difference. Big business are way more powerful than any democratic western government, and certainly any government this country is likely to have. They will not give up their stranglehold on expensive power, especially now they have tasted big profit margins and the regulatory bodies appear to be on their side.

See the price of petrol is going through the roof again because the wretched Saudis have cut supplies. Makes me mad that we welcome these murderous bastards into our country and do business with them and still they screw us, and our government still rolls out the red carpet for them.

See the price of petrol is going through the roof again because the wretched Saudis have cut supplies. Makes me mad that we welcome these murderous bastards into our country and do business with them and still they screw us, and our government still rolls out the red carpet for them.

That's because these price increases don't affect them. They claim everything back and more on expenses.

Billpayers, charities and businesses are being urged to give their views on daily standing charges on energy bills, as part of a review,

Anyone fancy offering a piece of their mind?
Thieving bastards. Thirty quid a month even if I never switched on a light or fired the boiler. I am having great difficulty not linking this to the green con, I know you don't like that phrase, but I can't help thinking history will judge it a such.

It's always been a total con, but they've kept ignoring it. I was of my old bug bears from my days, but I could barely get an MP to actually comment - especially when the EU launched a directive which basically banned them. But even then no movement from Ofgem, who acknowledged it was more cost prohibitive to those who already used less energy in the main anyway.

Long, but decent read https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/2018/09/ideal_economics_response_0.pdf

If you can't be arsed with it all, the Summary and Page 18 onwards are the juicy bits on this when it comes to them knowing it's a rip off AND that any real associated costs (back in 2018) with supply and access to a feed was at least £100 cheaper than ultimately charged.

Obviously naturally related to the green issue though, if the poorer were protected and just didn't see richer folk (who take effectively a discount on comfort by how the system is set up) tell them how to cut costs, more might be willing to do a bit more - especially if they then had greater wriggle room to eat more healthily, as opposed to plastic heavy but perceived cheaper options and so on.

It would save money down the line on an NHS front. Not a total answer, but it would move the dial in more of a joined up way.

It's always been a total con, but they've kept ignoring it. I was of my old bug bears from my days, but I could barely get an MP to actually comment - especially when the EU launched a directive which basically banned them. But even then no movement from Ofgem, who acknowledged it was more cost prohibitive to those who already used less energy in the main anyway.

Long, but decent read https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/2018/09/ideal_economics_response_0.pdf

If you can't be arsed with it all, the Summary and Page 18 onwards are the juicy bits on this when it comes to them knowing it's a rip off AND that any real associated costs (back in 2018) with supply and access to a feed was at least £100 cheaper than ultimately charged.

Obviously naturally related to the green issue though, if the poorer were protected and just didn't see richer folk (who take effectively a discount on comfort by how the system is set up) tell them how to cut costs, more might be willing to do a bit more - especially if they then had greater wriggle room to eat more healthily, as opposed to plastic heavy but perceived cheaper options and so on.

It would save money down the line on an NHS front. Not a total answer, but it would move the dial in more of a joined up way.
Did as suggested and skipped a lot of it. Very noticable that it was last reviewed back in 2018 before the Russian invasion of Ukraine, so to that extent it's a bit behind. Back then there were also plenty of companies offering no standing charge tariffs, that I usually opted for, for reasons of bill control . It seems that with the smaller companies going out of existence the big boys have been allowed to do as they please. Even the regulator seems to be on the side of the suppliers, not the consumer. Foolish me, I thought it was the other way around, but there you go. No competition in the market any more, so the regulator is vital to see fair play, but somehow I don't feel the love for the consumer shining through