Frank McParland | Page 3 | Vital Football

Frank McParland

Mark2310 - 4/3/2017 08:46

Firstly there is nothing I've read that this has got anything to do with Fawaz and if you follow any sort of logic and the recent history of Forest there are pretty much two options here

1. Fawaz makes him sign a 3 month contract or nothing and a bloke who will have plenty of offers says yes that will do me it makes perfect sense, I'm so desperate i'll take any old job on any old terms thanks Fawaz its certainly better than nothing

2. Mcparland says to Fawaz look mate not being funny but you have built a solid reputation for being impossible to work with, however Forest is a club that if run properly and if successful would be a valuable addition to my CV and to be fair to you, you are known for paying OTT wages so yeap I'm interested but tell you what

First I would like my manager in but unfortunately due to contractual and legal disputes with our last employer if he takes the job now its going to seriously impact that so he isn't available to be put under contract until the summer

What I could offer though is me coming in now, I get to see if I can work with you I can assess the squad and at worst I build you a summer signing list and identify other gaps across the academy and reserve squad and you get at worst a summer recruitment plan on the upside I can actually work with you, I am happy to work with GB and JL in both the long and short term so why don't you give me a contract until the end of the season and if we like the cut of each others gib, I'll bring Warburton to the table and we can implement the plan

Obviously its No1 because No2 does not allow for the laying the boot into Fawaz even though I have heard nothing but how quality personnel will not work with Forest due to our reputation and yet here we are a reputable and arguably above our standing DoF agrees terms that he would not accept unless it was at HIS request

Is Fawaz hated that much that intelligent people will throw out total common sense to come to the conclusion that suits the rhetoric

I do share Selbournes view however which is that McParland hardly seems neutral in all of this and if Warburton fails I can't see how Mcparland stays, that is a solid and legitimate concern IMO

How the hell do we come to the conclusion that Fawaz holds the cards here for gods sake it just plain barking mad

No offence Mark but when you make a long lecture like that the odd comma or full stop wouldn't go amiss.

You criticise baseless speculation that this is down to Fawaz by making baseless speculation that it is down to McParland. You even invent the conversations?

You then go on to say that it's barking mad to lay this at Fawaz's door having already invented a conversation where our new DOF admits Fawaz is a nightmare to work with.

The key thing is for me, how many DOF's have you ever seen anywhere else appointed on a two month contract?

Whether it's Fawaz doing something dubious or McParland hedging his bets because of Fawaz's reputation, it still comes down to the common denominator.

And how many times now have we ended a season with a short term caretaker manager?

This will be the fourth season in a row if you count Freedman, who was originally on a short contract.

FOUR successive years where we have let a season stagger on to its conclusion having sacked a manager with no idea of how to replace them.

Pope to be fair, i read Mark's interesting post as an opinion blog which rests on a conclusion.

Personally i would have plumped for option 2.

selborne garibaldi - 4/3/2017 08:28

Could it be that Frank only has a contract to the summer to hedge his position against the possibility of Warburton not joining Forest?

If Warburton does join the summer, then McParland has had time to assess the current squad, and have recommendations ready on who to keep and who to release. That's a benefit to Forest and Warburton.

If Warburton doesn't join in the summer, then McParland can walk (and go wherever Warburton does end-up) without any restrictions or penalties on either side. A positive for McParland, but a deteriment to Forest, albeit not large.

Forest are in a weak position right now, and so this type of deal does allow us to attract an experienced DoF who would otherwise wait to see where his manager-partner goes. I suppose we don't know if McParland would have taken the job if we insisted on a multi-year contract.

Personally, I see the logic in this. However, I am uncomfortable that the new DoF is so strongly connected with a particular manager -- in my view, the DoF should be independent of the manager and be executing a longer term strategy to help the club grow and be successful in the sporting competitions.

Top post :14:

I think it is clear that Warburton is the plan for a summer management appointment; we haven't appointed him yet due to his on-going claim against his previous employer.

If Warburton doesn't come, then that may be for reasons other than our owner. Warburton may have a whole set of options. We may be in league one.

All ifs and buts.

However, what we have done is appoint an experienced DoF to help the club. That is a step forward in my view.

Maybe it was Mcparland himself that only wants it for a couple of months initially? Also he has probably been brought in to handle contract negotiations for the players that are at this moment in time on their way out?

selborne garibaldi - 4/3/2017 09:09

I think it is clear that Warburton is the plan for a summer management appointment; we haven't appointed him yet due to his on-going claim against his previous employer.

If Warburton doesn't come, then that may be for reasons other than our owner. Warburton may have a whole set of options. We may be in league one.

All ifs and buts.

However, what we have done is appoint an experienced DoF to help the club. That is a step forward in my view.

If Warbarton wants to wait and see what league we are in rather than coming now and influencing it then fook him- he doesn't deserve the job.

We've had cowards like that he pass the buck of possible failure to a caretaker before

Mark2310 - 4/3/2017 08:46

Firstly there is nothing I've read that this has got anything to do with Fawaz and if you follow any sort of logic and the recent history of Forest there are pretty much two options here

1. Fawaz makes him sign a 3 month contract or nothing and a bloke who will have plenty of offers says yes that will do me it makes perfect sense, I'm so desperate i'll take any old job on any old terms thanks Fawaz its certainly better than nothing

2. Mcparland says to Fawaz look mate not being funny but you have built a solid reputation for being impossible to work with, however Forest is a club that if run properly and if successful would be a valuable addition to my CV and to be fair to you, you are known for paying OTT wages so yeap I'm interested but tell you what

First I would like my manager in but unfortunately due to contractual and legal disputes with our last employer if he takes the job now its going to seriously impact that so he isn't available to be put under contract until the summer

What I could offer though is me coming in now, I get to see if I can work with you I can assess the squad and at worst I build you a summer signing list and identify other gaps across the academy and reserve squad and you get at worst a summer recruitment plan on the upside I can actually work with you, I am happy to work with GB and JL in both the long and short term so why don't you give me a contract until the end of the season and if we like the cut of each others gib, I'll bring Warburton to the table and we can implement the plan

Obviously its No1 because No2 does not allow for the laying the boot into Fawaz even though I have heard nothing but how quality personnel will not work with Forest due to our reputation and yet here we are a reputable and arguably above our standing DoF agrees terms that he would not accept unless it was at HIS request

Is Fawaz hated that much that intelligent people will throw out total common sense to come to the conclusion that suits the rhetoric

I do share Selbournes view however which is that McParland hardly seems neutral in all of this and if Warburton fails I can't see how Mcparland stays, that is a solid and legitimate concern IMO

How the hell do we come to the conclusion that Fawaz holds the cards here for gods sake it just plain barking mad

Mark without wanting to be rude you have spent the last four and a half years attempting to find rational and sensible explanations for the decision making of Fawaz

And if you are being honest not ONE of your explanations has ever been anywher close to what actually happened in due course

That's not a criticism of you its a criticism of Fawaz

But if you were being totally honest you would have to agree with me

Its time to stop trying to explain anything the guy does as there is never any long term logic behind any of it

By summer Fawaz will have forgotten he even appointed this guy

Realblustone - 4/3/2017 08:52

I can imagine Woanz and Jimmy kicking themselves when they saw the name McParland and were desperate for it to be Ian.

Not me

Wouldn't want him at the club

This appointment is a game changer for us. I'm sure his 10 weeks work will have us pushing for promotion next year and perhaps the 3rd star in the future.

"If Warbarton wants to wait and see what league we are in rather than coming now and influencing it then fook him- he doesn't deserve the job.

We've had cowards like that he pass the buck of possible failure to a caretaker before".

Seem to remember Pearce was offered the job at a similar point in the season and chose to pass at that time, stating it was due to pre-existing commitments and "personal issues" but uncertainty regarding our league status must have had some bearing. Didn't blame him then, nor would I blame Warburton if that is the reason (and if he is the target, but there again FAH doesn't do planning, least of all long term) who would be a decent appointment given our situation.

WatnallRed - 4/3/2017 10:28

"If Warbarton wants to wait and see what league we are in rather than coming now and influencing it then fook him- he doesn't deserve the job.

We've had cowards like that he pass the buck of possible failure to a caretaker before".

Seem to remember Pearce was offered the job at a similar point in the season and chose to pass at that time, stating it was due to pre-existing commitments and "personal issues" but uncertainty regarding our league status must have had some bearing. Didn't blame him then, nor would I blame Warburton if that is the reason (and if he is the target, but there again FAH doesn't do planning, least of all long term) who would be a decent appointment given our situation.

We needed someone willing to put their neck on the line and fight for us then and we need that doubly now.

Not some fair weather wa**er who's only willing to turn up if the tough times have been weathered by someone else IMO.

And IMO Warbarton has done nothing that makes him worth waiting for

Pope John XXIII - 4/3/2017 10:32

We needed someone willing to put their neck on the line and fight for us then and we need that doubly now.

Not some fair weather wa**er who's only willing to turn up if the tough times have been weathered by someone else IMO.

Davis would do that but allegedly he is not nice enough for the snowflakes

toms - 4/3/2017 11:26

Pope John XXIII - 4/3/2017 10:32

Davis would do that but allegedly he is not nice enough for the snowflakes

Lots of people might well do that

The timing smacks of 'Old Bungle' flailing in desperation, as we edge to the drop.

Fawaz just wants to dip in and out, and hobnob with the agents and players. DOF is merely competition for that job. But I'll reluctantly admit that I'm happy with anyone competent who isn't from Fawaz's circle. Maybe now we can go nuts and stop buying good players and the not play them?

I think it's more likely McParland dictated the terms, pointless though they are to Forest. Hopefully he can convince Fawaz that despite what he may have heard, a DOF's main duty is to help negotiate the sale of the club.

Not sure if this has alrady been mentioned but by all accounts, the Rangers board and fans were far from impressed by the players they signed under McParland and Warburton.

Obviously a different club etc could bring about a change in their (and our) fortunes.

Hilarious that we appoint a DoF on a two month contract at a time when we can't sign anyone at all. Mind you, it'll give McParland time to realise what a prize nob he's working for and he'll be gone come May anyway.

AdebolaCornflakes - 4/3/2017 10:36

Let's take this mother to 10 pages lads before he quits

:-)

If we lose it will defo get to 10 pages ..but he may well be gone before that

There are posters who have spent the last month putting the boot in because he hasnt signed a dof and are now doing the same because he has!!
Gives him a few months to assess squad in preparation for the summer. Don't really see a downside to this.