Forty six games... | Vital Football

Forty six games...

Big Jack McGinley

Vital 1st Team Regular
Chris Moyses has now been manager for 46 games.

We have gathered 67 points in that time, possibly just short of what is required for Play-Off contention. However, I think a little leeway might need to be allowed as he finished last season having inherited somebody else's squad. That said, I think there was very little encouragement last season in respect of the claim of his better man-management skills.

It has without doubt been a better season than I was anticipating but there are a few hurdles to overcome. Issues that seem to dog successive managers that hopefully can be rectified by the fact that this team are so much more "together" than ones from the recent past.

My first concern will be how we react to yesterday's defeat. In isolation I wasn't actually too disappointed coming away from the game. I do though remember winning seven games in a row at home last season and then everything collapsing very quickly. We can not allow that to happen and this is much more a test of Chris' man management and squad unity than how disappointed they all looked yesterday.

We have a run of fixtures up to Christmas that look like we are capable of gathering a significant number of points from. I think we need to be targetting actually being in a play-off place when we are opening our prezzies.

Moyses is doing very well, he has built an excellent squad and hopefully yesterday was just a blip, which I think it will prove to be. We cannot afford to lose at Whitehawk next Sunday however. That could be a defining moment of our season.

How a team reacts to a setback is the acid test of it's character. I think this squad can be trusted to be resilient.

At half-time yesterday I was questioning how on earth Bromley were in a play-off spot, but their second half performance suggest their position is warranted. They have some good individuals. Emmanual is an obvious candidate for a higher level, but their no.14 also oozed quality on the ball. Fuseini bossed the midfield and their no.5 won everything in the air. The result was a fair one on the day.

Big Jack McGinley - 1/11/2015 09:09

Chris Moyses has now been manager for 46 games.

We have gathered 67 points in that time, possibly just short of what is required for Play-Off contention.

Errr 67 points is massively short of play off contention. At least 10 points short.

RussC - 1/11/2015 01:58

How a team reacts to a setback is the acid test of it's character. I think this squad can be trusted to be resilient.

You could well be right. They do look more capable of being resilient but until the case is actually proved I'm wary of believing it. I'm sure we've been here before...

...as some wise old sage once said: "At least we get to enjoy plenty of false dawns."

I'm keen to see the other side of this dawn to make sure it's not another false one!!

It clearly hurt them yesterday to lose their unbeaten home record, that'll do for me.
We are going the right way.

I'm not too upset after yesterday. Sounds like we lost to a decent side. The home record was nice bit had to go sometime. Bottom line is that we are better than we have been for several years. At last we are competing!

Davidimp - 1/11/2015 04:03

It clearly hurt them yesterday to lose their unbeaten home record, that'll do for me.
We are going the right way.

In fairness though, it should hurt. That fact that it apparently did is actually neither here nor there to me. It is how they react to it that will illustrate the character of the team.

Following seven straight home wins last season they then lost five and drew one of the next six. If that happens again all the apparent hurt yesterday will look a bit like 'crocodile tears'. As has been alluded to, I do think they look more resilient - but until that is proved I'm wary of buying into quite vague notions of "togetherness" and how a defeat might hurt...

True BJM but its first time I've seen that from a Lincoln side in a long time.
Annoyed that two of the clowns that put us down here beat us yesterday granted Anderson still looked very ordinary and Fuseini wasn't much better at times.

RussC - 31/10/2015 10:58

At half-time yesterday I was questioning how on earth Bromley were in a play-off spot, but their second half performance suggest their position is warranted. They have some good individuals. Emmanual is an obvious candidate for a higher level, but their no.14 also oozed quality on the ball. Fuseini bossed the midfield and their no.5 won everything in the air. The result was a fair one on the day.

We should have brought on Sparrow early 2nd half to counter Fuseini who bossed he midfield for them.

RussC - 1/11/2015 09:58

I agree, up to half-time there was only one team going to win that game and it wasn't Bromley. They are one of the better teams in the division, that is obvious - we lost at home yesterday but we lost to a very good side. But in the first half we made them look very ordinary because we were very good; the only thing we didn't do is score.

I came away disappointed with the defeat but pleased with the way Lincoln played. And long-ball football? Where? With the exception of a couple of long balls from Beevers and Bush, City played some very good football. One day soon, City are going to thrash someone. Parts of that first half were very exciting to watch.

Emmanuel was excellent - the way he uses his body weight to create space for the pass into him was a cut above. Apparently he is on a short-term contract and is one of the worst-paid players at Bromley - get in there and make him an offer.

And Moyses has 64 points from his first 46 games, not 67, but that is a minor point. What happens next is what matters.

Just one point: the crowd of 2500 was a disgrace. The atmosphere was fantastic, City played pretty well and should have won by half time. Sincil Bank is a good place to be on a Saturday afternoon, so what the hell do the people of Lincoln want? I wish I lived closer, I would be there.

Yeah odd it was such a low crowd considering we had lost only 1 in 9 before yesterday and hadn't lost at home before that game.
Actually fewer Imps than the last home league game.

Scotimp - 1/11/2015 14:24

I agree, up to half-time there was only one team going to win that game and it wasn't Bromley. They are one of the better teams in the division, that is obvious - we lost at home yesterday but we lost to a very good side. But in the first half we made them look very ordinary because we were very good; the only thing we didn't do is score.

I came away disappointed with the defeat but pleased with the way Lincoln played. And long-ball football? Where? With the exception of a couple of long balls from Beevers and Bush, City played some very good football. One day soon, City are going to thrash someone. Parts of that first half were very exciting to watch.

Emmanuel was excellent - the way he uses his body weight to create space for the pass into him was a cut above. Apparently he is on a short-term contract and is one of the worst-paid players at Bromley - get in there and make him an offer.

And Moyses has 64 points from his first 46 games, not 67, but that is a minor point. What happens next is what matters.

Just one point: the crowd of 2500 was a disgrace. The atmosphere was fantastic, City played pretty well and should have won by half time. Sincil Bank is a good place to be on a Saturday afternoon, so what the hell do the people of Lincoln want? I wish I lived closer, I would be there.

Weren't you there yesterday??

That is about right. Any Bromley fan watching would have thought how are Lincoln so far up the League too. They had 5 great chances to score before they did and I think 1-0 flattered us. The big question is, have we seen the best of Rhead, one dimensional tactics are pretty easy to counter. Have we got the nouse to open up defences when the Rhead/Hearn partnership fails.

Looking at the cross section, the family area was well down yesterday but probably due to that American Manufactured festival called Halloween. not many Students there on the cheap deal though.

johnolbe -
The big question is, have we seen the best of Rhead, one dimensional tactics are pretty easy to counter. Have we got the nouse to open up defences when the Rhead/Hearn partnership fails.

Yes we have seen all that Rhead has to offer and he has nothing more.
He will score some goals, but his qualities and attributes have now all been seen. Essentially the clever teams now know how to try and combat his threat. Basically an aerial combative forward that can win balls in the air to either score goals, nod on or hold up the ball and lay it off. A player that is a handful and quite devious and clever with it. Not suited to pace play or intricate play, won't be one to turn a trick to beat a player with skills or speed. I expect more and more teams to set up to look after him as the season progresses.

In answer to the second part of your question above, simply no. We do not have the craft, nouse or flair to open teams up with anything other than our one dimensional style of direct long ball play. Moyses has built a team that can play one way and one way only. The personnel gathered are players that suit that style of play, with the exception of Hearn who is best suited to a passing and movement high tempo game.