Forty six games... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Forty six games...

This is why next Sunday's game is so vital £30000 their plus a 2nd round game could give us the revenue to buy that play with the guile and nous to open teams up and yes teams have seen how we play and will do all they can to nullify Rhead.

Teams setting up to try and negate Rhead shouldn't be a shock. I'm pretty sure that is why managers scout other sides!
We do need something else, but Hearn was equally ineffective yesterday even with ball to feet! The plan b will probably need us to sign more than one player. We have a decent side and aren't without a chance this season, cup money should be used to get us an alternative to Muldoon and some pace down the middle

plumbob - 1/11/2015 19:11

Hearn was equally ineffective yesterday even with ball to feet!

The real value in Hearn is not as a Johnny on the spot player in the box.

If you look at Hearn's goals, especially when with the Cod's, his real value is as a pacey striker, who plays on the shoulder of the back four, freely across the front (not just centrally) and gets in behind with electric pace.

In order for Hearn to be effective in this way, our style of play has to be less direct, which promotes the opposition defenders to sit deeper, which limits the space behind them for Hearn to play in.

So essentially Hearn needs a team that can keep possession and play clever pass and move football in the middle third. This then forces the opponents to play higher up the pitch, enabling Hearn to latch on to clever balls behind them. Historically Hearn has both the strength and pace to terrorize opponents in that area of the pitch and you would put your mortgage on him to score goals all day long.

One word of caution though. If ever we had the personnel to play football around these principles, playing to Hearn's strengths, I am not overly sure that his body is still up it. He is a fair bit older now and his injury history nightmare has all been linked to a player that relies on pace. Pace injuries so to speak.

SkellyIsWatching - 2/11/2015 09:53

If you look at Hearn's goals, especially when with the Cod's, his real value is as a pacey striker, who plays on the shoulder of the back four, freely across the front (not just centrally) and gets in behind with electric pace.

In order for Hearn to be effective in this way, our style of play has to be less direct, which promotes the opposition defenders to sit deeper, which limits the space behind them for Hearn to play in.

So essentially Hearn needs a team that can keep possession and play clever pass and move football in the middle third. This then forces the opponents to play higher up the pitch, enabling Hearn to latch on to clever balls behind them. Historically Hearn has both the strength and pace to terrorize opponents in that area of the pitch and you would put your mortgage on him to score goals all day long.

One word of caution though. If ever we had the personnel to play football around these principles, playing to Hearn's strengths, I am not overly sure that his body is still up it. He is a fair bit older now and his injury history nightmare has all been linked to a player that relies on pace. Pace injuries so to speak.
Sorry, but his entire game was poor on Saturday. His first touch and control were lacking, and he certainly seemed shy of really putting it into a tackle. Perhaps he is nursing a knock. I'm not trying to do him down, as I think he is a good player for us, but he was one of the worst in a Lincoln shirt this week.

plumbob - 2/11/2015 12:20

SkellyIsWatching - 2/11/2015 09:53

Sorry, but his entire game was poor on Saturday. His first touch and control were lacking, and he certainly seemed shy of really putting it into a tackle. Perhaps he is nursing a knock. I'm not trying to do him down, as I think he is a good player for us, but he was one of the worst in a Lincoln shirt this week.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I am merely highlighting how to get the best of Hearn

Hi Plumbob
Probably Hearn was carrying a knock after getting clattered on Tuesday night by that Tranmere player, it's a wonder he wasn't stretchered off.

jal jal - 2/11/2015 13:17

What's that remark all about Skelly

It's irony, just my daft sense of humour.

Ironic because I was ridiculed for saying that I was "gutted" that we would have to have an FA Cup replay. On the basis that I feared it would cause injury or tiredness and could affect our performance and form in league games.

I was told that this was nonesense.

But then all of a sudden we lose the next game and all of a sudden Hearn was none existent, and now suggestions that it was because he was clattered in the FA Cup replay game on Tues.

So I chose to post simply "gutted"

Hi Skelly
I see what you're getting at now, he was clattered and lucky not to be out for a number of weeks, but I should have read the posts further back to know what you were on about.

I noticed this morning that Vital Lincoln City Forum had gone through 350 pages of comments. Broadly that takes us back to 1st November 2015. Thanks Jules for setting it up. Well done to everyone who has contributed, peace to those no longer with us.

As we ponder the future, this is as good a guide as any to where we have come from and the progress the Club has made. We had just lost 0-1 to Bromley at Sincil Bank.

Big Jack started the thread with: "Chris Moyses has now been manager for 46 games"......................

RussC: "How a team reacts to a setback is the acid test of it's character. I think this squad can be trusted to be resilient".

The Imposter: "Moyses is doing very well, he has built an excellent squad and hopefully yesterday was just a blip, which I think it will prove to be. We cannot afford to lose at Whitehawk next Sunday however. That could be a defining moment of our season".

ScotImp: "Just one point: the crowd of 2500 was a disgrace. The atmosphere was fantastic, City played pretty well and should have won by half time. Sincil Bank is a good place to be on a Saturday afternoon, so what the hell do the people of Lincoln want? I wish I lived closer, I would be there."

Hmmmmmm, the mere mention of Whitehawk.

Read and be happy, be very happy.

Come on you Imps, seize the day.

It's interesting to look back at the comments and see how far we have come. I remember being really disappointed that we had been beaten at home and I was really thinking we would be making a possible play off challenge. Fortunately I couldn't make Whitehawk but remember that sinking feeling of how we never did anything in the FA Cup and we had missed out some cup cash.

How little did we suspect that in the following year's FA Cup we would make history and our club would be on a rocket fuelled trajectory to League 1 and Wembley.

It's interesting to look back at the comments and see how far we have come. I remember being really disappointed that we had been beaten at home and I was really thinking we would be making a possible play off challenge. Fortunately I couldn't make Whitehawk but remember that sinking feeling of how we never did anything in the FA Cup and we had missed out some cup cash.

How little did we suspect that in the following year's FA Cup we would make history and our club would be on a rocket fuelled trajectory to League 1 and Wembley.
If someone had tried to tell me that's what was going to happen I would have politely enquired what psychedelic substances they had consumed...

It feels like that was decades ago,not 4 yrs, quite incredible. And I have to put my hand up to Scotimp as i missed the Bromley game too, they're one of very few conference sides that I never saw.