Footballs money tree again..... | Vital Football

Footballs money tree again.....

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
This time its Nikcy Butt saying Salford are looking for more investment to push them up to the championship.

Surely they already make a huge runnign loss on their gates?

Noticed last week Leyton Orient look millions going up last season as well. Its all getting stupid amd now is the time to put new rules in place before certain clubs go completely trying to keep up

Investment is an odd term. In any other sphere, you invest to make a return.

Sponsorship or donation are really the lifeblood of League Two football.

in the case of Brad, he took over a club with no debt at the time in a decent catchment area and with a reasonable expectation that the number of potential sponsors and business partners might make it sustainable, but Salford are just down the road from the big Manc clubs and their last home game had an attendance of just over 3.400.

Unless Butt can persuade someone that he already has a conveyor belt of saleable youngsters ready to go like Crewe often had, it is hard to see how anyone would invest with hope of any sort of return. Donate, perhaps.

I don't think the Stevenage owner has had much luck solving the same problem after his appeal, and they are in League One.

Last edited:
Thats the nail on the head if these 'sponsors' disappeared most clubs would struggle through a 2 wage month cycle

Salford are in such a saturated market football fan wise, they've got next to no hope of ever growing to the size the ex-Utd boys want. Not just the Manc giants on their doorstep, but several good sized clubs in Stockport, Oldham, Bolton taking the casual fan. Rochdale, Bury, Altrincham all bigger than Salford as well in the same market. I wonder at what point they just realise it's not going to work the way they want it to? Neville in particular must be getting bored of it being a financial pit considering he's apparently now someone to be trusted on investments on Dragons Den. They don't produce players, they don't get crowds to facilitate the money they spend - that's just unsustainable. Their level is around National League North.

It's not impossible to grow Salford, but difficult. They need to appeal to the casual fan. Need to make the matchday experience more enjoyable than the other clubs. Problem is.... need a lot of money to achieve that.

Over the past year, Gary Neville seems to have distanced himself from the running of SCFC. The Clubs owners and backers are very, very wealthy but it appears that some may have underestimated the length of time required to get the club turbocharged and into the Championship. The journey has become the incredible journey and the consequent stigma has put increased pressure on a procession of managers.

The Club knows it has to move to become more viable and had previously looked into buying the (circa 20K capacity) ground of Salford Red Devils - that fell through. If ownership and backers decide to keep to the mission, Salford could eventually make it into the Premiership. They have the financial muscle and the Salford catchment area is huge. There`s plenty of room for another top team in Greater Manchester, provided that team is backed financially. Perhaps people connected with SCFC have been too busy rebuilding Manchester city centre. To me, it seems like the club is in limbo at this point - on the field - they are probably too good to go down but are lacking the positivity and continuity to go up. However, the future of SCFC is very much an off the field matter - ownership can still make it happen - whether they are still up for it remains to be seen.

Over the past year, Gary Neville seems to have distanced himself from the running of SCFC. The Clubs owners and backers are very, very wealthy but it appears that some may have underestimated the length of time required to get the club turbocharged and into the Championship. The journey has become the incredible journey and the consequent stigma has put increased pressure on a procession of managers.
So why do they appear to be appealing for outside "investment"?

My argument with PS was always that he claimed to be chasing investment when the first question any prospective outside financier would ask, like with any bank loan, would be "how much are you putting in?"

It's time for a wage cap in football.

What some league 2 players are earning is ridiculous.

There was a rumour that two or three Wrexham players are on 8-10k a week. This is speculation but i would not be surprised if it was true.

I don't know how to implement it or where to start but what MOST players earn is out of control.

It's time for a wage cap in football.

What some league 2 players are earning is ridiculous.

There was a rumour that two or three Wrexham players are on 8-10k a week. This is speculation but i would not be surprised if it was true.

I don't know how to implement it or where to start but what MOST players earn is out of control.
But it’s the entertainment business (apparently) I’m not sure you can restrict what a footballer earns any more than an actor, writer or musician.

You couldn't restrict what an individual player earns, but you could restrict what a club's overall wage budget is, based on FFP rules and or suchlike, as if that were ever likely to be seriously enforced. Then they could spunk 99% of their money on Lionel Messi or whoever but then have to surround him with non-league no-hopers. It would certainly make things more interesting.

So why do they appear to be appealing for outside "investment"?

My argument with PS was always that he claimed to be chasing investment when the first question any prospective outside financier would ask, like with any bank loan, would be "how much are you putting in?"
I don`t know, GB. Perhaps it`s just the wheels of big business turning. The folk behind Salford City include billionaires and, as I implied, it`s those folk off the field that control SCFC`s future. If they are still aiming for the Premiership, I imagine they will succeed - how long that takes ? Who knows.

But it’s the entertainment business (apparently) I’m not sure you can restrict what a footballer earns any more than an actor, writer or musician.
American pro sports manage salary caps pretty well. But they also have good systems for regulating player/contract "ownership" from the lowest tier to the top tiers. For us to implement similar system would require fundamental changes from grass roots upward - and maybe for FIFA to underpin the change.

American pro sports manage salary caps pretty well. But they also have good systems for regulating player/contract "ownership" from the lowest tier to the top tiers. For us to implement similar system would require fundamental changes from grass roots upward - and maybe for FIFA to underpin the change.
Definitely would need FIFA’s backing. The PL would never agree to it otherwise. There is no point in restricting what a player can earn in the UK if it can just be ignored by any other league across the world. The best players would clear off to earn more money elsewhere. The appeal of the PL would soon wane and with no broadcasters wanting to shell out ridiculous sums for coverage the arse would fall out of it.

Might be interesting...

Talking about money and the big league - I was at Blackburn Rovers v Newcsatle in the FA Cup last night. Prior to the game both sides were out on the pitch doing their "warm-ups". I counted at least 13 - thirteen, Newcastle United coaching staff out on the pitch involved in pre-game routines. Might have been 14, and that didn`t include Eddie Howe !

How times have changed. Excluding EH, wonder what the NU overall 1st Team coaching costs are ?

Talking about money and the big league - I was at Blackburn Rovers v Newcsatle in the FA Cup last night. Prior to the game both sides were out on the pitch doing their "warm-ups". I counted at least 13 - thirteen, Newcastle United coaching staff out on the pitch involved in pre-game routines. Might have been 14, and that didn`t include Eddie Howe !

How times have changed. Excluding EH, wonder what the NU overall 1st Team coaching costs are ?
Excluding Eddie I think their top player's weekly wage would cover the thirteen's wages.

Torquay United fighting for their survival - such a shame. We`ve had some great trips to Devon over the years to watch the Gulls v the Gills.

Seeing the old pics of the former Gills Social Club (on another thread a couple of days back) reminds me how we used to meet there on a Friday night for the overnight coach trip from Priestfield to Torquay. Fun days.

I don`t know, GB. Perhaps it`s just the wheels of big business turning. The folk behind Salford City include billionaires and, as I implied, it`s those folk off the field that control SCFC`s future. If they are still aiming for the Premiership, I imagine they will succeed - how long that takes ? Who knows.
But I think I am right in saying that Nicky Butt is the only one actually involved in the day to day running of the club.

So I wonder why he is quoted in the press as implying the club needs to find outside investment rather than asking several of his affluent ex team mates and any other "sleeping partners" (billionaires, you think?) to put their hands in their pockets if they want to elevate the club to the Championship or beyond..

Outside of Wrexham, they would be the last club in the division that should need that.