Football Media 22/23 | Page 16 | Vital Football

Football Media 22/23

So Arsenal now being touted as the next Leicester City - ‘unlikley’ winners of the league title and once again the idea that if only it wasn’t for Mancherster City they would be away and clear.

FFS. :taz:

How many times have we heard this demeaning and playing down of City’s consistency? When LiverpoolTMfailed and JoMU were beaten to the title this “in any other season” BS kept being brought up. Yet there is always this nostalgic misty-eyed reminiscing among hacks to the days when the rags were winning the title frequently (although they are starting to need long memories for that one) when no one was complaining that they were effectively ‘bed blocking‘ the league title.

Sad to see Micah Richards buying into the “pressure is off Arsenal” BS as well. Whenever we faced rivals towards the end of a season and were leading the race it was always on us and the pundits were claiming it was “City’s title to lose”. Now we are chasing the pressure is still on us :shrug: Fact is the pressure is on both teams - but Arsenal have been cracking and it has only been their late dramatic recoveries in games they were expected to win that has distracted from this.

Manchester City v Arsenal: City strut, Arsenal blip - how will title clash go? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65328322

So Arsenal now being touted as the next Leicester City - ‘unlikley’ winners of the league title and once again the idea that if only it wasn’t for Mancherster City they would be away and clear.

FFS. :taz:

How many times have we heard this demeaning and playing down of City’s consistency? When LiverpoolTMfailed and JoMU were beaten to the title this “in any other season” BS kept being brought up. Yet there is always this nostalgic misty-eyed reminiscing among hacks to the days when the rags were winning the title frequently (although they are starting to need long memories for that one) when no one was complaining that they were effectively ‘bed blocking‘ the league title.

Sad to see Micah Richards buying into the “pressure is off Arsenal” BS as well. Whenever we faced rivals towards the end of a season and were leading the race it was always on us and the pundits were claiming it was “City’s title to lose”. Now we are chasing the pressure is still on us :shrug: Fact is the pressure is on both teams - but Arsenal have been cracking and it has only been their late dramatic recoveries in games they were expected to win that has distracted from this.

Manchester City v Arsenal: City strut, Arsenal blip - how will title clash go? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65328322

conversely the pressure is now much greater on Arsenal, now they have to win all their games, don't forget Micah Richards is a lifelong Arsenal fan.

Yes when Liverpool were beaten into second they or some reason showed the table from 2nd downwards odd really lol

some betting companies show the odds for the premier at the start of the season 'Premier league Winner' (without Manchester City) which I think is the highest compliment.

The BBC’s McNulty is clearly in the “Anybody but City” camp with his loving piece about The Arse.

Arsenal 3-1 Chelsea: Angry Gunners show they are still in title race https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65465426
Martin Odegaard killed the game with two first class goals, Chelsea were woeful and I think Arse will get another tonking from the bar codes, but of course they are still very much in the title race at the moment sitting on top of the ladder.

Watching SSN this morning as they review the papers I am going to have to clean my ears out as I hear Jon Cross and Jason Burt actually appreciating City & Guardiola …….actually declaring they would like to see City win the treble. Well knock me down with a feather. o_O

All we need now is for them to send a memo to BT Sport yto remind them which team they should be backing for success. The Premier League team or the Spanish one?

Watching SSN this morning as they review the papers I am going to have to clean my ears out as I hear Jon Cross and Jason Burt actually appreciating City & Guardiola …….actually declaring they would like to see City win the treble. Well knock me down with a feather. o_O

All we need now is for them to send a memo to BT Sport yto remind them which team they should be backing for success. The Premier League team or the Spanish one?

Ha. It could be the English team, except they don't have our postcode.....;)

FFS. Listening to BBC R5Live as they preview the weekend matches and we have the same old tripe including "It's City's title to lose"......they weren't coming out with this :bull: when Arsenal were 8 points ahead of us. In fact at that point I seem to recall that during these times "the pressure is all on City as they chase the runaway leaders".

Is anyone else getting thoroughly tired of the way in which the BBC are pandering to their ex-Arsenal pundits every time they appear on their shows? They are supposed to be impartial pundits providing their experience and expertise across the football they are discussing but at every opportunity the hosts allow them the luxury to express their partisan views on how ‘their’ club is faring in the title run in. Ian Wright in particular. They may as well be “Arsenal’s Greatest Fan” and Chairman of the Supporters Club in the studio.

Once again the BBC’s much lauded desire for ‘balance’ and ‘impartiality’ is questionable. :wagging:

Is anyone else getting thoroughly tired of the way in which the BBC are pandering to their ex-Arsenal pundits every time they appear on their shows? They are supposed to be impartial pundits providing their experience and expertise across the football they are discussing but at every opportunity the hosts allow them the luxury to express their partisan views on how ‘their’ club is faring in the title run in. Ian Wright in particular. They may as well be “Arsenal’s Greatest Fan” and Chairman of the Supporters Club in the studio.

Once again the BBC’s much lauded desire for ‘balance’ and ‘impartiality’ is questionable. :wagging:
Ian Wright is a top pundit in my view, but give him licence to spout about Arse and he will do so. The BBC is definitely anti City, do not know why, don't know much about UK politics.

He makes some excellent points and is way better than most. I don’t blame him necessarily for shooting into the open goal the BBC allows so the point is well made - the fault lies with how the BBC enables this narrative to be maintained. I think it’s not so much politics but the editorial bias within BBC sport/football. I note this with the way in which they regularly push negative or even Non-City related stories higher up their site and even keep them on the City page when they are not even relevant to us. Something rotten in the state of Denmark as the Bard said.

Ian Wright is a top pundit in my view, but give him licence to spout about Arse and he will do so. The BBC is definitely anti City, do not know why, don't know much about UK politics.

He slips up sometimes and uses the word We when referring to Arsenal, which is OK if he was on Arsenal TV, but like referees the likes of Sky and BBC etc should find pundits who support other teams giving their views. The only one I recall giving a fair assessment was Souness and he has now retired. Sometimes Roy Keane and he is not afraid to call out the Rags when it is needed.

He slips up sometimes and uses the word We when referring to Arsenal, which is OK if he was on Arsenal TV, but like referees the likes of Sky and BBC etc should find pundits who support other teams giving their views. The only one I recall giving a fair assessment was Souness and he has now retired. Sometimes Roy Keane and he is not afraid to call out the Rags when it is needed.
I like to watch Arse and Westham TV, like the accents.

That's exactly it. The use of "we" which is fine for a fan on a podcast etc but not the national broadcaster.