Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 240 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

Not sure the theory of a 'fire break' works unless all players and their families, all managers, all club staff etc are in lockdown (which can't be done)

The figures for how bad this variant is should be clearer the week between Xmas and New Year though, so plans could be easier to make if and when the data shows it to be as serious, less serious, whatever... than the delta one.

I find the players not having the jabs baffling. They risk long term damage (as any virus can do) and at least a horrible virus and possibly long covid. And all for fear/internet bullshit about a jab.

I would make anyone not having the jab (apart from those medically unable) opt out of any other form of covid treatment, because if they won't accept this covid treatment, NO WAY should they take valuable beds from those suffering covid, cancer and all manner of other diseases for people who are desperate to preserve their lives and health.

That’s why I think it has to come down to clubs and players taking more responsibility. If a team can’t put out a first XI, they have to put youngsters in. Goes against my integrity point at the start I know, but I feel you need to start making clubs accountable for some of this too otherwise they inevitably lose games.

I’d be keeping the first team players in a training ground bubble for starters if they’re not already. Surely they could be made to lateral flow test every day too as they walk in to training that would help?

I don’t want to get accused of being an AVFC covid expert because I obviously have no idea what goes on, but I do get the sense the player power is a hidden force, and clubs needs to step up - not by forcing vaccinations, but by implementing the protocols and processes to minimise infections.

Read earlier that stricter measures brought back in again last week apparently in terms of testing. All players have a lateral flow in car before training every day plus two PCR's every week. Think there's already pretty stringent measures back in place again by the sounds of it.

Leaving this here for debate and information, I haven’t fact checked this but apparently it comes from the BBC. It’s not that linear as we know the virus hits different countries at different times, perhaps the U.K. has seen more omicron earlier, but there must be a correlation between vaccinations and number of problems resulting in cancellations of games?

Edit: BBC link https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59702363

58D614EE-0DF6-447C-B0D1-F75ECC0AE3AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Read earlier that stricter measures brought back in again last week apparently in terms of testing. All players have a lateral flow in car before training every day plus two PCR's every week. Think there's already pretty stringent measures back in place again by the sounds of it.

Yes Gerrard said yesterday they aren't allowed indoors at Bodymoor until their LFT has been done .

L

Not sure the theory of a 'fire break' works unless all players and their families, all managers, all club staff etc are in lockdown (which can't be done)

The figures for how bad this variant is should be clearer the week between Xmas and New Year though, so plans could be easier to make if and when the data shows it to be as serious, less serious, whatever... than the delta one.

I find the players not having the jabs baffling. They risk long term damage (as any virus can do) and at least a horrible virus and possibly long covid. And all for fear/internet bullshit about a jab.

I would make anyone not having the jab (apart from those medically unable) opt out of any other form of covid treatment, because if they won't accept this covid treatment, NO WAY should they take valuable beds from those suffering covid, cancer and all manner of other diseases for people who are desperate to preserve their lives and health.
Compulsory exposure of all players to Omicron. Then start the fire break. The added bonus of vaccine refuseniks suffering more.

Leaving this here for debate and information, I haven’t fact checked this but apparently it comes from the BBC. It’s not that linear as we know the virus hits different countries at different times, perhaps the U.K. has seen more omicron earlier, but there must be a correlation between vaccinations and number of problems resulting in cancellations of games?

View attachment 54223

Yep Not one PL manager has said all his squad are vaccinated or if they have I haven't heard them and Gerrard is very cagey on the subject but fair play he's had his

View attachment 54223

Spoiled pampered idiots. Maybe if they were given another 100 grand a week they'd do it?

I think the medical stuff is confidential so if the players don't give permission the clubs can't say who is vaccinated or not.

I don't for the life of me understand why players wouldn't be vaccinated though. A bad dose of Covid to someone who hasn't been jabbed could potentially end their career.

Yep Not one PL manager has said all his squad are vaccinated or if they have I haven't heard them and Gerrard is very cagey on the subject but fair play he's had his

Leeds, Wolves & Brentford have claimed to be close to 100%
(and Klopp says 99% for the dippers).

not seen if we claim anything other than cagey/skirting around it - suppose if overall for the prem it's only 68% and there's 4 claiming 100 there must be some pathetic rates at some of the others

I think the medical stuff is confidential so if the players don't give permission the clubs can't say who is vaccinated or not.

I don't for the life of me understand why players wouldn't be vaccinated though. A bad dose of Covid to someone who hasn't been jabbed could potentially end their career.
Probably because they are typical young, cocky men who think they are invincible - till shit happens.

We if it gets played it means we had enough players to play Burnley, as we have at least 18 players missing to have had to call it off

18? Thought 'officially' 14 fit players was the supposed requirement to play so that means from a squad of 25 a minimum of 12 unfit players before a match is called off. Either way, I think the Premier League are making it up as they go along tbh.

18? Thought 'officially' 14 fit players was the supposed requirement to play so that means from a squad of 25 a minimum of 12 unfit players before a match is called off. Either way, I think the Premier League are making it up as they go along tbh.
You need 7 players to start a football match unless the PL has changed the rules of the game. If a club the size of Villa hasn't got 7 or even 14 fit players then there is something wrong.
Why haven't they called the Chelsea game off or are they going to make us play the youth team I wonder? It's happened before

You need 7 players to start a football match unless the PL has changed the rules of the game. If a club the size of Villa hasn't got 7 or even 14 fit players then there is something wrong.
Why haven't they called the Chelsea game off or are they going to make us play the youth team I wonder? It's happened before

I would bet the house on the Chelsea game being canned after the meeting on Monday.

Was referring specifically to COVID guidance. They were talking about it on 5 live earlier. Apparently 14 fit players and a game should go ahead but I'm not convinced the premier league are sticking to this. No transparency on what bloody criteria they're using.

14 what players though, I agree on transparency. Senior, U23, Youth?

We already have rules for L1/L2 3 international call ups = postponed. We need similar for seniors on Covid. Don't make a club provide intimate details, just state we have 3 out with Covid so call the game.

Let them prove the details and proof in following days and any clubs trying to skirt things by using a player who would never have been played forfeits the game and loses an additional 5 points.

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter if the club can't play games for a short period of time what's most important is the health of the fans, players and staff , having lost my mum to lung last Christmas it puts things into perspective, all I care about is being with my family being healthy and having a better Christmas than the last one.

Last edited: