Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 152 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

They didnt have to do a survey, they could have just asked us, we would have told them that.
First few minutes of the Cherries home game. They were at a different level physically.Some games this season,no,most games we were off the pace. Midfield with Luis, Connor, Trez and Anwar featuring regularly ain't gonna cut the mustard. On balance,l would keep Dean,drop or not,but hopefully he has learned that this league is for the super fit,the super quick.

The last minute Spurs defeat seemed to take the wind out of our sails. Not that there was much wind in them.
Ultimately you can't stay in this with crap players (Engels, Nakamba, Trezeguet, jota) & dreadful tactics

The last minute Spurs defeat seemed to take the wind out of our sails

Absolutely. That was one - plucky effort against the big boys but ultimately losing to far.
I think the next game was Saints away and that was the first time I could say this season we had no belief and had given up. The way Jack stormed off at he end with barely a clap to the away fans (which is not him at all to be fair) said it all .

Even with this long break from football I still haven't forgotten how bad and naive we were in the vast majority of the 28 games we played and our current league position reflects that.

Personally I'm approaching these remaining games more in hope than with confident expectations because I can't how we are suddenly going to go from poor to good and with improved direction from our first team management?

The funny thing is I remember before the season even started seeing an interview with one of the players (might have been Jack or Tyrone) saying that the gaffer had already been drilling into them that the running stats in the Premier League were higher than the Championship and that the players would all have to adapt to running more.

So in this instance this is one area that you seemingly can't blame Dean Smith. (and I'm not a Smith fan)

If the manager highlighted this before the season even began and started to drill it into the players minds, yet the players get out there and stroll around then thats on them.

Even with this long break from football I still haven't forgotten how bad and naive we were in the vast majority of the 28 games we played and our current league position reflects that.

Personally I'm approaching these remaining games more in hope than with confident expectations because I can't how we are suddenly going to go from poor to good and with improved direction from our first team management?
Same here. I’m hoping that with Mcginn back and what looks like a decent striker in Samatta we can scrape some points together. The break can’t have done us any harm.

The funny thing is I remember before the season even started seeing an interview with one of the players (might have been Jack or Tyrone) saying that the gaffer had already been drilling into them that the running stats in the Premier League were higher than the Championship and that the players would all have to adapt to running more.

So in this instance this is one area that you seemingly can't blame Dean Smith. (and I'm not a Smith fan)

If the manager highlighted this before the season even began and started to drill it into the players minds, yet the players get out there and stroll around then thats on them.
Has it been drilled into them in training sessions? It's as much as physical thing as a mental thing. It's just as likely that the strength and conditioning training is not up to scratch.

I think the strength and conditioning stuff is a myth. There was a manager once who said as much (can't remember who it was), but he said the managers who go into a new club and blame the previous manager for allowing fitness levels to slip is 90% bollocks.

These players are all athletes. They are the peak of human physique, they should all be able to get through a 90 minute football match and run a round a bit. I don't think an extra 60 minutes intensity training a week would really make that much difference when you get to this level.

For semi-pro and Sunday league players then yes extra fitness sessions would make a huge difference but at this level, I don't buy it. They should all be able to put in the yards on a match day.

Has it been drilled into them in training sessions? It's as much as physical thing as a mental thing. It's just as likely that the strength and conditioning training is not up to scratch.
To put this in context we run 200m less per game per player than Everton who are fourth in the most run league.The top clubs by quite some way are Norwich Bournemouth and Brighton, all relegation candidates.

Yes you would have hoped that if success was based on running a bit more Dean Smith would have thought of that.

To be fair I should have said 'we have not been good enough so far '.

Season has yet to finish. That will show whether we have been good enough.