Five Substitutes | Page 2 | Vital Football

Five Substitutes

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
3 subsitutions is sufficient.
Far to many occasions we see substitutions used as a time wasting ploy.
I would far rather see a time limit , (30 seconds???) for a subsitution to be completed or it is forfeited.
A further option would be that no changes should be allowed after the 85th (?) minute.

Anyone got any clues at to why the clock does not stop durung the current drinks break / coaching sessions?

When the fans return the drinks stops will become a cue for chants of derision from the crowds. The matter of substitutes the big clubs will try and build up to eleven subs. FIFA and all FA's must resist all attempts to have more than three substitutes.

So please tell what happens if a manager has used all of his subs at the point someone has to be replaced?
Options:
1) Play the remaining minutes with 11 v 10 (better than (say) 75 mins 11 v 10)
2) "Borrow" a sub from the next game. (Cue howls of derision !)
3) Allow back a player with 2 yellows for non-violent offences (and increase the fine ?)

None are ideal - but 1) is nearest to what we have now.

Why don't we just go to shifts which are replaced either for tactical match ups or when they've run themselves into the ground? In January, get the hose out, change the pitch to a rink and put skates on. Hard to kick, mind. I know, give 'em sticks.

Someone already said this. I should read the whole thread before posting. I'm booked in for self-criticism on Thursday.

Thanks for a (mostly) decent post.

If it were anybody other than Tarian posting this nonsense I'd suspect a wind up. But you know what? I reckon he's for real!

It fits in with his Gradgrindian way of interpreting the world; the 'guilty' player would be retrospectively punished for his 'crime', and the 'innocent' supporters don't get 'punished' by having to watch a game played between two teams with unequal numbers. It's certainly a radical suggestion but it is also a shit suggestion.
(Not sure why you feel the need to add "Gradgrind...")
But "spot on" with:
...so "Innocent supporters don't get punished."
We've paid for a "proper" game between two equally matched sides.
Please explain why it is "shit" ....(rather than "on balance, no")

He fails to recognise (or chooses to ignore) the emotional aspect of a sending off. Whether it be a player on your team or an opposition player who gets the red card, the emotional response is usually intense. Sometimes you'll feel angry, other times you'll feel jubilant. Sometimes the sending off will inspire confidence that your team can now turn things around or more easily hold into a lead, other times it will induce fear that a lead will be lost or that any hope of winning has evaporated now your team is down to ten men.
I do not "fail to recognise the emotional aspect of sending off".
I just happen to think the associated "emotions" are bad for the game and the spectators.

"Feeling jubilant ?" (presumably an Oppo red card) ... that doesn't strike me as an honourable "emotion".....
....esp. if for a soft / arguable 2nd yellow.

Mostly one-way traffic is hardly "entertainment".
"Backs to the wall" only has attraction if we are winning - but can be very frustrating to watch.

For a sending off is quite a big deal. It doesn't happen in every game, or even in most, but when it does it often (but not always) changes the game. Although not always in the way you'd expect it to. How many times have we seen the team with ten men push on and then win a game from the position of apparent disadvantage?.
It mostly changes a game for the worse.
As for "winning with 10 men" ...,perhaps you could answer your own question.
(I'd say "rarely")

..... if it is an exceptional offence (such as the Cantona kung-fu kick .....or Luis Suarez biting an opponent) a much longer suspension can be imposed.
But the biggest and most immediate punishment is the reduction of the team numbers during the remainder of that particular game. Every player knows this and knows that if they lose their cool they could cost their team the game.
Currently every player knows that they can "get away with" stuff not seen by the Referee....
....So make retrospective - and longer punishments less "exceptional".

"Every player.... (should) know...... that if they lose their cool they could cost...." themselves their place for the next 2, 3 or more months and a sh!tload of money.

And that of course, leads onto the other random factor, the referee. Sometimes his decision will be a bad one, occasionally so bad that it is later overturned and the suspension lifted.
But this can effect teams and supporters in a negative or a positive manner and just so long as the referee is always impartial then such poor decisions will sometimes favour your team and other times go against your team, such is the random factor. Of course, sometimes the supporters might be able to influence the referee's decision but that too, I think, is an important aspect of the game.
Now we get to the substance.... poor or inconsistent decision-making by Referees.

What good is it to have a red card overturned after the game (and opportunity) has gone ?

In what socially just world can "poor decisions will sometimes favour your team and other times go against your team" be acceptable?

It is fanciful to think that red cards "even out".
Statistically it is more likely that one red card has a small effect while another a significant effect.
Which one do "we" get ?
Which one affects Promotion or Relegation - and which mid-table mediocrity ?

Football will always have "random factors". That's why it's the "Beautiful Game".
But how is adding a random bad refereeing mistake "OK" ?

I think in Tarian's world everything would be exact and precise and there would be little, if any, room for emotion and/or imagination. And without those things there is no beauty. Football is the beautiful game but proposals (such as VAR and Tarian's suggestion), though they might be made with an honourable intention of removing injustice from the game, simply remove some of the beauty.
Again. Spot on ! (about "precision")
But why assume a binary choice ....i.e. that correct decisions - or 11 v 11 - remove all "emotion and/or imagination" ?
What's wrong with replacing negative emotions with better ones ?

What "beauty" exists in either:
a) 10 v 11
b) a poor Refereeing decision ?

VAR has helped make correct decisions.
Bad decisions have been made even with VAR.

Surely the former is an improvement (just not helped by slowness) ?
The bad decisions are even more exposed. We can only hope "lessons will be learned".

Again.... where is the "beauty" in a wrong decision ?

Options:
1) Play the remaining minutes with 11 v 10 (better than (say) 75 mins 11 v 10)
2) "Borrow" a sub from the next game. (Cue howls of derision !)
3) Allow back a player with 2 yellows for non-violent offences (and increase the fine ?)

None are ideal - but 1) is nearest to what we have now.
So seriously in a important six pointer or local derby I can have a useless player take out their best player then substitute the useless player.Forget long term sanctions if you are a rich club you can play a Thurgood and tell him to kick lumps out of the opposition.Mad totally mad. Even more benefit to rich clubs who will have better subs and be able to replace good players with players of equal quality. With those views you should find support from Manchester City and similar clubs perfect for them.Bigger squads for the rich.While the Gillingham's lose their best players through injury sounds fantastic.

Last edited:
Thanks for a (mostly) decent post.

(Not sure why you feel the need to add "Gradgrind...")
But "spot on" with:
...so "Innocent supporters don't get punished."
We've paid for a "proper" game between two equally matched sides.
Please explain why it is "shit" ....(rather than "on balance, no")

I do not "fail to recognise the emotional aspect of sending off".
I just happen to think the associated "emotions" are bad for the game and the spectators.

"Feeling jubilant ?" (presumably an Oppo red card) ... that doesn't strike me as an honourable "emotion".....
....esp. if for a soft / arguable 2nd yellow.

Mostly one-way traffic is hardly "entertainment".
"Backs to the wall" only has attraction if we are winning - but can be very frustrating to watch.

It mostly changes a game for the worse.
As for "winning with 10 men" ...,perhaps you could answer your own question.
(I'd say "rarely")

Currently every player knows that they can "get away with" stuff not seen by the Referee....
....So make retrospective - and longer punishments less "exceptional".

"Every player.... (should) know...... that if they lose their cool they could cost...." themselves their place for the next 2, 3 or more months and a sh!tload of money.

Now we get to the substance.... poor or inconsistent decision-making by Referees.

What good is it to have a red card overturned after the game (and opportunity) has gone ?

In what socially just world can "poor decisions will sometimes favour your team and other times go against your team" be acceptable?

It is fanciful to think that red cards "even out".
Statistically it is more likely that one red card has a small effect while another a significant effect.
Which one do "we" get ?
Which one affects Promotion or Relegation - and which mid-table mediocrity ?

Football will always have "random factors". That's why it's the "Beautiful Game".
But how is adding a random bad refereeing mistake "OK" ?

Again. Spot on ! (about "precision")
But why assume a binary choice ....i.e. that correct decisions - or 11 v 11 - remove all "emotion and/or imagination" ?
What's wrong with replacing negative emotions with better ones ?

What "beauty" exists in either:
a) 10 v 11
b) a poor Refereeing decision ?

VAR has helped make correct decisions.
Bad decisions have been made even with VAR.

Surely the former is an improvement (just not helped by slowness) ?
The bad decisions are even more exposed. We can only hope "lessons will be learned".

Again.... where is the "beauty" in a wrong decision ?
Oh yes be prepared for a lot more diving after all if you have a player with a talent for it he could then continue to dive until he gets replaced by his mate who is almost as good .And the ref can't have a final sanction on anyone they can cheat as much as they like.
I can see it now X win the FA cup final after having 14 players sent off.
The chairman of the club announced that he has another 3 billion to put into the club who already have a first team squad of over 300 players with premier experience.
Or better still time wasting tactics taken interesting turn when match finally finished at 2.30 in the morning having kicked of at 3pm the previous week. The ref said I added on every minute that was wasted and booked hundreds of players but it made no difference. Some of the team must have had a bet on it being the longest match ever .But they forgot about the league two game last season that finally finished yesterday.

Last edited:
I can see it now X win the FA cup final after having 14 players sent off.
The chairman of the club announced that he has another 3 billion to put into the club who already have a first team squad of over 300 players with premier experience.
Or better still time wasting tactics taken interesting turn when match finally finished at 2.30 in the morning having kicked of at 3pm the previous week. The ref said I added on every minute that was wasted and booked hundreds of players but it made no difference. Some of the team must have had a bet on it being the longest match ever .But they forgot about the league two game last season that finally finished yesterday.
At what point did my suggestion amount to unlimited substitution ???? :unsure:
(or huge squads .... pointless bookings.....extended game time ??)

I merely floated mandatory use of substitutes (currently limited).... before / contrary to the Coach's plans.

You asked:
"So please tell what happens if a manager has used all of his subs at the point someone has to be replaced?"

To which I answered
"1) Play the remaining minutes with 11 v 10 (better than (say) 75 mins 11 v 10)"

So where you get...
" 14 players sent off ..... first team squad 300 players ....booked hundred of players but it made no difference.."
...I don't know ! :rolleyes:

What is the opposition to 11 v 11 (for as long as possible)?

3 subsitutions is sufficient.
Far too many occasions we see substitutions used as a time wasting ploy.
I would far rather see a time limit , (30 seconds???) for a substitution to be completed or it is forfeited.
A further option would be that no changes should be allowed after the 85th (?) minute.

Anyone got any clues at to why the clock does not stop durung the current drinks break / coaching sessions?
Absolutely - but why not go further ?
Late subs are blatant time-wasting.

Worse, is that some (if not most) Referees add no extra time for subs - so encouraging the time-wasting ploy.

How hard would it be to stop the clock - then late subbing should lose its attraction ?