Five Games In & This Villa Fan Wants Some "Themes" Corrected | Vital Football

Five Games In & This Villa Fan Wants Some "Themes" Corrected

mike_field

Vital Football Legend
Aston Villa are now five games into our return to the Premier League and we sit in 17th place in the table, with four points returned so far. Monday evening’s clash against West Ham United at Villa Park was a mixed bag with positives and negatives for fans to take, but Vital Villa forum member crimsondonkey had their own thoughts on the game, and they felt that we could already see some trends in how we are trying to approach matches.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/five-games-in-this-villa-fan-wants-some-themes-corrected/

Seems like a bloke who knows what he's on about :tophat:

There is only one of me though so don't know why I'm being referred to in the plural sense, unless you are merely reflecting the fact that I must have 2 brains :geek::geek:

Nice write-up and clearly well thought-out. I mentioned in another thread that with McGinn and Grealish, supplemented by Lansbury, Jota and Hourihane, we have an over-abundance of attack-minded central midfield players, none of whom are comfortable in wide areas. Jota and Jack can "do a job" out wide, but it's not ideal to be taking our best player (Jack) and playing him as a winger. I do think your 4-2-3-1 suggestion could work. It's a case of whether Deano wants to change it, or persevere with 4-3-3 in the thought that eventually Trez will be more influential and Targett will find fitness and form. A 4-3-3 works well when you've got good wide forwards/wingers and attack-minded full-backs. At the minute we have 50% of that (at best).
Another thing we know is that Deano is very much a believer in playing players in their natural positions, so I can't see him changing too much from that. The 4-2-3-1 would only look good to him if he sees the potential of Jack/Jota playing slightly wider. McGinn, for all his energy and effectiveness, will never be comfortable in a role other than marauding through the middle (and he is very good there too).
Personally, I still think it's too early to judge the new players, as they adjust to the new team and league, and to a certain degree the squad that came up also, which is very light in terms of premier league experience. Changing the system may work, or it may make things worse. Glad I'm not the manager!

Can't disagree with any of that. Our formation or the players we are using in our formation isn't working for us. I'll be disappointed if we line up the same against Arsenal.

Jack says he doesn't like playing wide. Don't think Dean likes him playing wide.

I don't think there's a lot wrong with us playing 4-3-3. We're struggling a bit playing against better opposition. But DS has options for fine-tuning things on the training pitch; everybody is still learning, including DS. I think he'll only change it when he thinks he's done all he can to get it to work and it still isn't working.

The Hammers match showed what we're now doing well. Not conceding, hence getting at least a point, which is important. From what DS has said he thinks we're not being sharp enough in switching from defence to attack. I bet that's what he's working on at the moment. Too early to say we haven't got wingers which are good enough.