Financial Fair Play Explained | Page 5 | Vital Football

Financial Fair Play Explained

Should our new owners just pay the fine for FFP and get on with it?

• Yes

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters
If, and I'm not saying this is my position, but if we ignored ffp and got promoted, if the two EFL tried to impose a demotion could we not fight it in court? Restraint of trade maybe? Obviously I'm no expert!

How about raising some money by sponsoring the North Stand. Hardly an iconic name so how about The Ron Saunders Adidas Stand?.
A few million quid a year would put a decent dent in FFP.

I think it's something that would be extremely hard to get a court to agree to if the owners have the resources to spend what they want.

If, and I'm not saying this is my position, but if we ignored ffp and got promoted, if the two EFL tried to impose a demotion could we not fight it in court? Restraint of trade maybe? Obviously I'm no expert!
Don't quote me on this - but it couldn't happen.

FFP can now void promotion for a breach I believe, it's one of the reasons the determination point moved to Feb/Mar so they were ahead of the curve after the QPR fiasco.

Now irrespective of the above.

Other clubs have settled during dodgy periods of the season I think when potential relegation was a real possibility, even if we 'could' escape the EFL clutches with a punishment looming you can guarantee they would bite and bite hard if we ever came back under their jurisdiction - with applicable interest as FFP is ratified by clubs themselves.

Given it's ratified by member clubs restraint of trade couldn't be argued....it would also fail in my humble because a demotion isn't a restraint of trade, nor is a transfer embargo as you have wriggle room on free agents and loans albeit under set restrictions I think.

They couldn't enforce a demotion though if we sat in the Prem - hence the change to Feb/Mar as they can enforce a lack of promotion - again the member clubs agreed to this.

I think these new investors/owners will laugh at it. These lads are the real deal.
Doesn't matter, people need to stop thinking it can be ignored. Clubs are complying and paying up, clubs agreed to ratify it into the rules at both Premier League and EFL level.

Yes, you do obviously take a risk though.

Is FFP crumbling? Milan just won a case

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...opean-ban-CAS-UEFA-FFP-Man-City-Europa-League
Nope - that was based on proportionality of punishment owing to a change of owners who clearly showed they were trying to come into line for FFP purposes under Italian rules unlike the former owner where the breach occurred.

Having taken steps upon taking ownership to try to comply, being banned was excessive as new owners weren't to blame for the breach. Therefore disproportionate and not competing in the EL takes an additional string away from new owners to further come in line with FFP and be compliant.

They have still been fined I believe and they haven't gotten away with anything, as unless they continue to make real progress, this punishment is back on the cards next season and they have lost their leeway.

This is why fans shouldn't expect uber spending, because if we do that under Sawiris and Edens now, we bugger our own leeway in mitigation next Feb/Mar if we do happen to still breach. As it stands we can even argue Jan was too small a window to fix such a 'big' problem, because the takeover went through so late in the day a full due diligence on options/problems etc couldn't be done in time given the transfer window shuts early this year. We have just over a fortnight if summer sales are our choice of compliance.

If we choose not to sell, but don't stick two fingers with spending, then loan deals out with buy clauses to chip away shows good faith. Maybe a sale or two in January strengthens that good faith position as well.

But we can end the season with mitigation, Jack, Kodjia, Chester etc.

I think it's something that would be extremely hard to get a court to agree to if the owners have the resources to spend what they want.
Not really, it's easy. Member clubs voted in favour, we are carrying out the wishes of our member clubs - if Aston Villa don't want to abide, they can join X association instead. Everyone else is paying up, Manchester City have been punished and have moved towards compliance, QPR are the only ones arguing and that's cause Fernandes didn't want to pay the fine and they keep appealing as it's gone against them from what I've read.

And for those who say Villa, our name, would they really.....

Sure to fuck they would, what better club to make an example of!

Yep, if we blatantly tried to drive a coach and horses through FFP then we'd get stung. And nobody would blame them; the media would have a field day. On the other hand, if we had a sane policy to try to deal with FFP then if we breached it I think we'd get a fair hearing.

I'm sure they'd try and stick it to us regardless but if we've played fair we cut that urge from under them.