Financial Fair Play Explained | Page 7 | Vital Football

Financial Fair Play Explained

Should our new owners just pay the fine for FFP and get on with it?

• Yes

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters
On this one it wasn't the media, or the ITK's making it up Villan - it was Steve Bruce

It was him who said, no matter who owns us, and how much money they have, we are in a mess with FFP and that needs sorting, and I know that will mean losing players I don't want to lose.

As said above, short term, of course I am happy we are signing / not selling, but I am really worried long term, we are just getting into even more shite.

Remember, Lerner came in telling us how wonderful it all was going to be, Xia did the same - so until this lot show me proof they know what they are doing - I am reserving judgement.

People say - they are billionaires, they know.......
So are the Venkys - and they didn't even know you could be relegated !

On this one it wasn't the media, or the ITK's making it up Villan - it was Steve Bruce

It was him who said, no matter who owns us, and how much money they have, we are in a mess with FFP and that needs sorting, and I know that will mean losing players I don't want to lose.

As said above, short term, of course I am happy we are signing / not selling, but I am really worried long term, we are just getting into even more shite.

Remember, Lerner came in telling us how wonderful it all was going to be, Xia did the same - so until this lot show me proof they know what they are doing - I am reserving judgement.

People say - they are billionaires, they know.......
So are the Venkys - and they didn't even know you could be relegated !

in all fairness mate these lot are a million miles away from the Venkys and even Randy

Pay the fine my lord, pay the fine
Ohhhhh shit, they've changed the rules and deducted us points.

Obviously things were not as bad as the "experts" lead us to believe, it just proves that only the people running the club know the situation .
Anything else is speculation, none of us know the fact and figures . I stopped bothering when the new guys took over, they are minted and will just pay the f....

It's what some of us suspected for a long time. Only the owners know the true situation. Mind you, if we don't get promotion this year we'll be £15m worse off next year, although certain high wage earners could drop off the books then.

Xia would probably be quite happy for the naming rights for Bodymoor to lapse, so that's one possible source of income for the new owners. Renaming Villa Park, if it brought in an annual chunk of say £20m, would be OK by me. There are other dodges like the notional charges the academy and the women's team "pay" for using Bodymoor and other facilities.

Not yet I don't think, as these measures for FFP are quite recent. Points deductions have so far been for going into administration only, as far as I know.

I don't think it would stand up in a court of law, how can you legally stop the owner of a business spending his money to grow that business?
Our boys have to money to challenge it that's for sure.
Bosman made history, perhaps we could do similar?

Yes Holte, because at the time we had an owner who couldn't explore other options.

Given the players we've let go, it's actually conceivable our additions max out Terry's wage only so we are already saving money and showing a move towards compliance. Now add Bodymoor sponsorship, add a VP stand that's another step towards compliance.

I said the other week the worst thing we could do is spend like 3year olds as it ruins the favour we gain by new owners coming in, we haven't. I bet we are quids in already compared to last years expenditure and we have January and time to eek away more at the hole.

Villan - points deduction and promotion denial are part of the new rules, they've only just come in. The precedent is administration though, so clubs vote for it and it can't be challenged now.

And again already done, that was the QPR case - they lost end of. Clubs in the majority voted for this, all clubs have to live with it - there is no legal recourse now. That fight is over.

So we need to see our owners put their money in left-field ideas and they are numerous.

Yes Holte, because at the time we had an owner who couldn't explore other options.

Given the players we've let go, it's actually conceivable our additions max out Terry's wage only so we are already saving money and showing a move towards compliance. Now add Bodymoor sponsorship, add a VP stand that's another step towards compliance.

I said the other week the worst thing we could do is spend like 3year olds as it ruins the favour we gain by new owners coming in, we haven't. I bet we are quids in already compared to last years expenditure and we have January and time to eek away more at the hole.

Villan - points deduction and promotion denial are part of the new rules, they've only just come in. The precedent is administration though, so clubs vote for it and it can't be challenged now.

And again already done, that was the QPR case - they lost end of. Clubs in the majority voted for this, all clubs have to live with it - there is no legal recourse now. That fight is over.

So we need to see our owners put their money in left-field ideas and they are numerous.

As football is now a business, I'm not too sure FFP cannot be challenged.
In certain cases it is an unfair restriction of trade.

It's not 58 - it was voted in by member clubs, you can't unfairly restrict your own trade. People seem to think this was foisted by UEFA/Prem/EFL - it wasn't - clubs themselves made suggestions/amendments, and voted it in to the rules.

As were the changes to the available punishments.

As will the next tweaks made.

Having not been in for a while OVB I was about to ask the same! lol

Get back in your box Den :Fingers: - the end of that quote is.

“The Football League are unhappy about clubs that are going to do that. They have in theory unlimited power to punish clubs but points deductions are very unlikely.”

And Birmingham are now facing a risky 12 points as it appears they broke their agreement with one signing lol

There is a rumour of a possibility that the EFL may punish Blues which may include a points deduction (if they want to punish, they have to go to independant adjudicator, which hasn't yet happened).

Suppose we fall foul of FFP in attempting to get promotion and get a points deduction which scuppers promotion. So long as we don't get relegated, is that any worse than not spending the money and not getting promoted anyway?

By just paying the fine, isn't a club just making a rod for their own back. Wouldn't that payment be counted towards the next three year period of expenditure, meaning that that club would be unable to spend money in transfer windows. It could surely end up like a rolling fine, each one sending a club closer to the edge.