Final Goverment briefing | Page 2 | Vital Football

Final Goverment briefing

I'll be very surprised if Johnson is still leading the Tories at the next election. The Tories will dump him if/when he is rumbled by the populace. The Tories are far too clever to repeatedly back a loser, unlike Labour, unfortunately.

They will pick a fresh leader and pretend the past decade + of government isn't anything to do with them (as Johnson did).
Spot on 58.

You’re not wrong AK.
Many people confuse what democracy is.
All it means is that you get the right to elect, not what they do once you elected them.
Well while you cant force them to do it, i think the point is that you expect them to do as they promised when on the election trail. Obviously then, you also cant plan or predict something like covid19 so you can only hope youve got someone in that can deal with those emergencies. The fact you have johnson and the likes of gove (we are sick of experts) governing on a medical pandemic says it all for me. Never should have been put in this position. If corbyn had done what johnson had, there would have been absolute outrage across the country imo.

Unfortunately as i say, if they either dont do as they promise, or if react badly to the ad hoc emergencies like covid19, it seems to get forgotten all too easily once the election comes up. Politicians are very rarely held accountable by the electorate.

Last edited:
Corbyn and Labour were 👍
The problem was that the Labour Party saw the writing on the wall and decided that the wall was wrong.
Labour won just 13% of the vote at the EU elections yet still couldn’t come out and accept the result.
In fact many, including some now sitting at the top table absolutely refused to acknowledge what their core voters were telling them.

I read Lord Ashcrofts report called Smell the Coffee. It’s very interesting.
He’s a bloody Tory and he still got it.
The Labour core voters decided that under that leadership, it was a party for students, unemployed and middle class urban liberals.
Labour Together report has bourne this out.

The problem was that the Labour Party saw the writing on the wall and decided that the wall was wrong.
Labour won just 13% of the vote at the EU elections yet still couldn’t come out and accept the result.
In fact many, including some now sitting at the top table absolutely refused to acknowledge what their core voters were telling them.

I read Lord Ashcrofts report called Smell the Coffee. It’s very interesting.
He’s a bloody Tory and he still got it.
The Labour core voters decided that under that leadership, it was a party for students, unemployed and middle class urban liberals.
Labour Together report has bourne this out.

I don't disagree with those points but think you are overstaing that one issue, important though it was. Corbyn was seen as not speaking up for his own country. Whether he did or not is irrelevant; that was the overwhelming perception of voters especially amongst former core Labour supporters.

That’s right mate.
The core voters thought that labour no longer represented them.
As the report said, two issues.
Brexit and Corbyn.
Had Corbyn not been there, we still would have lost because of Brexit.
Yvette Cooper and Ed Miliband would have lost their seats if it hadn’t been for the Brexit party vote taking away from the Tories.
It was the shear refusal to recognise the result that frustrated many voters.
It was unheard of in British history, that the losing side would not acknowledge defeat.
As we all know, there are still some like Lord Adonis fighting the fight even though we’ve left.

As long as the Tory's keep coming out with labour policies (to keep their voters) then it all good lol.

As for the daily briefing. Daily is not now needed and its just a time for know nothing journalists to try and make a name for themselves. Very rarely any questions to genuinely gain information.