Final Goverment briefing | Vital Football

Final Goverment briefing

Suffolk Gills

Vital Youth Team
I am pleased we had them, although many of the 'Will you apologise Minister' questions from the press did irritate.

It has seemed the scientific team never liked to contradict the Government line, so it was interesting the Chief Medical Officer broke ranks yesterday saying he would be 'surprised and delighted' if the virus was not still with us next Spring (or something like that). We all know this is true but we rarely heard stark statements like this.

I got the impression that the scientists were star struck and didn't feel they could speak freely. A stitch up from the start by Johnson so he could blame 'science' if/when it went wrong.

I tend to listen to the alternative independent SAGE group. More likely to be reliable.

Agree that some of the questioning was pathetic. Typical of our "ner ner ya boo" politics. We, the public are responsible for this. If it didn't sell papers/news channels then they wouldn't do it. We get the low level of politics/debate that we deserve.

I watched most of them but put the TV in mute after the questions from the public. The media questions were mostly rank! All the stats are online, so can still keep up to date with the virus.

So where will scrutiny now take place, where real and sustained questioning. Will Bunter change the habits of a life time and step into the interview spot, or will he retire to Chevening to bobble about on his trail bike.

So where will scrutiny now take place, where real and sustained questioning. Will Bunter change the habits of a life time and step into the interview spot, or will he retire to Chevening to bobble about on his trail bike.
The scrutiny will take place in the building that it has always taken place in.
Parliament.
I switched off after week one because the journalists just repeated the same questions.

I am pleased we had them, although many of the 'Will you apologise Minister' questions from the press did irritate.

It has seemed the scientific team never liked to contradict the Government line, so it was interesting the Chief Medical Officer broke ranks yesterday saying he would be 'surprised and delighted' if the virus was not still with us next Spring (or something like that). We all know this is true but we rarely heard stark statements like this.
I cant believe they cancelled the daily briefings show after the first season just because the main characters killed a load of people.

The scrutiny will take place in the building that it has always taken place in.
Parliament.
I switched off after week one because the journalists just repeated the same questions.

Bunter can't be arsed to turn up there more than he has to and doesn't answer a single question directly. It's a pretty feeble version of parliament at present and the PM and senior ministers avoid interviews more than they avoid covid.

Bunter can't be arsed to turn up there more than he has to and doesn't answer a single question directly. It's a pretty feeble version of parliament at present and the PM and senior ministers avoid interviews more than they avoid covid.
That’s how they managed an overwhelming victory at the election jogills.
Avoid questions and interviews and let the other guy hang him self ( metaphorically)

That’s how they managed an overwhelming victory at the election jogills.
Avoid questions and interviews and let the other guy hang him self ( metaphorically)

I agree but it's not acceptable, or democratic to try and govern like that.

I agree but it's not acceptable, or democratic to try and govern like that.
Well it is democratic. We have the option to oust them at the next election.that is exactly what democracy is. Unfortunately you and i both know they wont be held accountable for it at the next election. We all know how they treat the nhs or teachers or the police (reducing numbers), or how theyve completely ballsed up the reaction to covid19 and caused deaths of loved ones will be completely ignored by the next election. Instead, other things will be far more important to voters at those elections, like whether the candidates can eat a bacon butty cleanly or whether they wear a tie appropriately.

Well it is democratic. We have the option to oust them at the next election.that is exactly what democracy is. Unfortunately you and i both know they wont be held accountable for it at the next election. We all know how they treat the nhs or teachers or the police (reducing numbers), or how theyve completely ballsed up the reaction to covid19 and caused deaths of loved ones will be completely ignored by the next election. Instead, other things will be far more important to voters at those elections, like whether the candidates can eat a bacon butty cleanly or whether they wear a tie appropriately.
You’re not wrong AK.
Many people confuse what democracy is.
All it means is that you get the right to elect, not what they do once you elected them.
The only option to unelect them when appropriate.
Labour has four years notice, so there is no excuse if we cock up again.

Perhaps but interesting to see that Tobias Ellwood is tweeting that he is not in agreement with this move. Far more dissatisfaction with Bunter amidst tory ranks than is being made public.

Perhaps but interesting to see that Tobias Ellwood is tweeting that he is not in agreement with this move. Far more dissatisfaction with Bunter amidst tory ranks than is being made public.
How do you know that, if it's not being made public?

Not being funny jogills but an Ex Minister being disgruntled with the new administration is hardly news.
Every serious politician knows that Johnson is miles out of his depth, but he was legitimately voted in as leader and legitimately won the general election.
Take comfort in the point that he’ll probably be gone this time next year after we’ve finished the transition period.

It might be a good thing for the popularity of the Government to stop the briefings because how often have we seen a Minister who commands respect or at least speaks with authority. It has been rare. Where are the 'big beasts of the jungle' we used to hear so much about?

How do you know that, if it's not being made public?

It's attracting comment on conservativehome and in The Spectator. I am not claiming he is about to be toppled but both those sources have speculated that there are such murmurings.

I'll be very surprised if Johnson is still leading the Tories at the next election. The Tories will dump him if/when he is rumbled by the populace. The Tories are far too clever to repeatedly back a loser, unlike Labour, unfortunately.

They will pick a fresh leader and pretend the past decade + of government isn't anything to do with them (as Johnson did).