FC Barcelona vs. Tottenham Hotspur | Page 2 | Vital Football

FC Barcelona vs. Tottenham Hotspur

I think you and I are the only ones not labeling him a championship player.
Right now I guess he is but at only 20 and playing with PL players he has a chance to step up. He is probably at that crossroads, could go either way. I would rather encourage him than write him off.

First goal was 100% CCV, how he totally lost Munir in a 10ft circle is pretty comical.

Second Barca goal Amos split their forward line backtracking and instead of stopping and manning the space, he dropped into the CBs' laps and left Arthur sliding in prime space.

Both obvious, easy to point out and hopefully address. Mostly solid both of them other than that.

First goal was 100% CCV, how he totally lost Munir in a 10ft circle is pretty comical.

Second Barca goal Amos split their forward line backtracking and instead of stopping and manning the space, he dropped into the CBs' laps and left Arthur sliding in prime space.

Both obvious, easy to point out and hopefully address. Mostly solid both of them other than that.

It wasn't just CCV fault, sure he was caught ball watching. But KWP got sucked into the center and gave his man far too much space, this allowed him to direct his header perfectly back across goal. Even if CCV had stayed with his man he may well have beaten him to the ball, if KWP had put the player at the far post under more pressure I doubt he would have placed his header so precisely.

Best to learn from these mistakes in matches like this. Poch will review on video and hopefully they don't repeat. As has been said they did well otherwise .

It wasn't just CCV fault, sure he was caught ball watching. But KWP got sucked into the center and gave his man far too much space, this allowed him to direct his header perfectly back across goal. Even if CCV had stayed with his man he may well have beaten him to the ball, if KWP had put the player at the far post under more pressure I doubt he would have placed his header so precisely.

My take on it.

The entire first half had taken a pattern. Son was not protecting KWP and Davies was covering his own arse by allowing KWP to sit alongside him in a very narrow defensive shape on the left. There was no leadership on the pitch and therefore Semedo and Rafinha were running riot in our left back area and neither Poch nor the captain Eriksen or a senior player dealt with it. By the time the goal came, KWP was way too narrow again and got done. Also, Davies didn't react either and just by having a centre halves instinct like Vertonghen probably would, he would have taken a deeper position once he realised KWP wasn't going to get anywhere near the ball in the air. He didn't, he stayed in a position where the header came behind him. That's OK though, it's not his natural position. CCV to the naked eye looked like the bigger culprit because it was his man that scored. Like Davies, he also stayed planted and let his marker score the easiest goal after he run beyond him.

For the second goal, Eriksen had a choice to make. Move closer to KWP to double up and be on the cover in case he didn't' deal with Rafinha (I think) OR worry about Arthur who was in space outside the 18 yard box. He obviously went to double up with KWP and that left Arthur a ton of space to control it and score and absolute peach. Once again, my question becomes where was Son?

Said this many times, but love Son for his goals and assists. Just wish he would apply his football brain in the same way as Eriksen does for his team defensively. It's OK being a willing runner and putting in the hard yards like Son does. It's how you run those yards that is important and there is a reason why Son is anonymous in some of the tougher periods of the harder games we play. We play 4-2-3-1 and when Son is on the left of the 3 he needs to own it more. He's no longer a kid and should be helping kids like KWP settle into the team, especially when they're playing out of position.