Ex-Imps Discussion Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Ex-Imps Discussion Thread

Luke Imp - 12/4/2015 02:48

I didn't realise Carayol had signed, presumably on loan, for Brighton until I saw him playing Friday night against Bournemouth.

Another player who went up the Leagues after he left us and I'd forgotten about him. N'Guessan, Caryol, Taylor-Fletcher, McAuley, McCombe. Not a bad roll-call from that era.

You can't see many of the crop since then doing so well... and as for now!

Big Jack McGinley - 21/5/2015 23:23

Michael Foley - 20/5/2015 16:02

Rasenimp - 20/5/2015 18:32

Steve O'Dare - 21/5/2015 08:46

Vadaine Oliver to York City!

2 Year deal. Did like Vadaine

One of the much-maligned Holdsworth signings.

Given his completely scatter gun approach to signing players, the law of averages surely indicates he would get one or two correct.

While there were admittedly loads and there were some pretty bad City performances under DH, I think his hit rate is higher than you're giving him credit for.

You can make cases for Oliver, Miller, Boyce, Larkin, Jefferson Louis, Farman, Hinds even people like Tyrone Thompson and Sheridan who lacked a bit of quality but were alright conference players in my book. Possibly one or two more. I think he was a bit unlucky when Duffy got injured at the start of the season as he looked handy in his first couple of games.

There were a crap load of loanees though and some of them weren't very good, as well as players who have then done alright elsewhere since (Adam Smith, Matty Pearson (who barely even played for us), Garner).

Whether Holdsworth could actually get them playing or not is another matter of course, but the squad was even more of a mess before his reign with poor players on more money.

Rasenimp - 28/5/2015 22:31

Given his completely scatter gun approach to signing players, the law of averages surely indicates he would get one or two correct.

While there were admittedly loads and there were some pretty bad City performances under DH, I think his hit rate is higher than you're giving him credit for.

You can make cases for Oliver, Miller, Boyce, Larkin, Jefferson Louis, Farman, Hinds even people like Tyrone Thompson and Sheridan who lacked a bit of quality but were alright conference players in my book. Possibly one or two more. I think he was a bit unlucky when Duffy got injured at the start of the season as he looked handy in his first couple of games.

There were a crap load of loanees though and some of them weren't very good, as well as players who have then done alright elsewhere since (Adam Smith, Matty Pearson (who barely even played for us), Garner).

Whether Holdsworth could actually get them playing or not is another matter of course, but the squad was even more of a mess before his reign with poor players on more money.

A moderate and sensible post. It is also too often forgotten that the Board told Holdsworth in no uncertain terms when he arrived that two-year contracts for players (or more) were out of the question as Dorrian had decided this didn't work and that preferably nine-month contracts would now be the norm. These restrictions did not apply to Simpson (or it seems Moyses) as the policy has (again) been thrown into reverse. I'm no apologist for Holdsworth but it does seem to me he gets a lot of unfair stick. What the hell else was he supposed to do under the circumstances than adopt a "scatter gun approach"?

Michael Foley - 28/5/2015 14:42

A moderate and sensible post. It is also too often forgotten that the Board told Holdsworth in no uncertain terms when he arrived that two-year contracts for players (or more) were out of the question as Dorrian had decided this didn't work and that preferably nine-month contracts would now be the norm. These restrictions did not apply to Simpson (or it seems Moyses) as the policy has (again) been thrown into reverse. I'm no apologist for Holdsworth but it does seem to me he gets a lot of unfair stick. What the hell else was he supposed to do under the circumstances than adopt a "scatter gun approach"?

So, "scatter gun approach" was his only option? Presumably that was his only option at Mansfield as well when he adopted the same approach to signing players.

I'm also tempted to ask that given the increasingly parlous state of the clubs finances how else to suggest Chris Moyses operates other than how he is doing.

I'm no apologist for Chris Moyses but I'd also like to see a few more moderate and sensible posts about the restrictions he is likely to be working under.

Big Jack McGinley - 28/5/2015 22:49

So, "scatter gun approach" was his only option? Presumably that was his only option at Mansfield as well when he adopted the same approach to signing players.

I'm also tempted to ask that given the increasingly parlous state of the clubs finances how else to suggest Chris Moyses operates other than how he is doing.

I'm no apologist for Chris Moyses but I'd also like to see a few more moderate and sensible posts about the restrictions he is likely to be working under.

What restrictions is Moyses working under? He is clearly not being limited to one-year (or nine month) contracts. And we have been told by Dorrian that the playing (pro) budget for next season is no lower than for the last one. Moyses has a free-hand on how he uses his budget, who he may or may not sign, and he strikes me as the kind of person who wouldn't react well to being told he hadn't. Especially as he's doing the job for nothing. So, if you know any different please tell us what these restrictions are and I'll try to post something moderate and sensible about them.

Michael Foley - 28/5/2015 16:01

Big Jack McGinley - 28/5/2015 22:49

What restrictions is Moyses working under? He is clearly not being limited to one-year (or nine month) contracts. And we have been told by Dorrian that the playing (pro) budget for next season is no lower than for the last one. Moyses has a free-hand on how he uses his budget, who he may or may not sign, and he strikes me as the kind of person who wouldn't react well to being told he hadn't. Especially as he's doing the job for nothing. So, if you know any different please tell us what these restrictions are and I'll try to post something moderate and sensible about them.

The restrictions he's working under are that we appear to have very little money. Regardless of whether it's the same as last year's or not, it isn't much. I don't "know" any different but I'm summising that the club is in a bit of a financial mess because I'm sure you wouldn't lie to me Michael.

I think he's working under different restrictions, but surely even you would admit that the current malaise of the club and the financial constraints placed upon a manager would make doing that job very difficult.

I don't think the Board totally ended the two year contracts full stop. I'm pretty sure that it was part of the initial cost cutting on relegation and that they would happen again at some stage, and they did.

Of the numerous two year deals we've handed out since we've been down here, only Perry and Diagne have bit us on the backside.

DH knew what he was getting into. It was hardly sprung on him. But he also used the same technique at Mansfield, Ilkeston and recently Goole. Perhaps the one year deals were, in fact, more a reflection on DH's transfer policy but explained as something else?