Ex-Imps Discussion Thread | Page 263 | Vital Football

Ex-Imps Discussion Thread

What does the term “lizards” mean? I have never understood it. Apologies if a daft question.
'Lizards' became a commonly used term on here in 2017 to refer the the 'second string', primarily the side playing FA Trophy games.

Why? No idea, but I'm sure someone on here will and may indeed have been responsible for it's use!

as a long time listener but rarely there in person - Danny used that phrase a lot on the radio. I am not sure where it came from but he had a team that he would always pick for 1) FA Trophy 2) FA Cup. These were often 2 different sides and both distinct from the league side.

'Lizards' became a commonly used term on here in 2017 to refer the the 'second string', primarily the side playing FA Trophy games.

Why? No idea, but I'm sure someone on here will and may indeed have been responsible for it's use!
As mentioned above, I think we played away most games so wore the green kit, and it was Danny who called them the Lizards, as mentioned by @syimp. Ot was a second-string team really.

I'll admit I never understood why they were called that either. Thanks @EastvilleIMP for asking what I never thought to! I like the idea of it being due to the green away shirt mostly being worn, like the one in my photo.

Terry Hawkridge and Jordan Burrow played for Boston Utd against Lincoln Utd in a Lincolnshire cup tie the other night. Burrow scored for Boston in their 3-2 win.

I thought the Lizards was because of the letter L i.e. Lincoln Lizards - similar idea to Bradford Bulls, Wigan Warriors etc.

As the story goes; in Rustons back in the day, the shop floor workers were often waiting for their next jobs. They'd sit around for ages doing nothing. When the foreman came in and asked who wanted to work overtime, the previously un-moving workers would look left and right to see who wanted o go in and work. They were known as the Lizards as this is what they looked like.

Absolutely. That was the basis of my criticism of Poole. He was not the best right back at the club throughout the very important last three months when we sank from top three to a playoff position.. TJ was.

In the same way, Tayo was the best left back at the club. But it took until the last six weeks for MA to realise that he was better than Bramall.

Both Poole and Bramall have a lot to prove come August. I'm not at all saying that they will not become stalwarts of the team this season. Just that they have a lot to prove yet.

Absolutely. That was the basis of my criticism of Poole. He was not the best right back at the club throughout the very important last three months when we sank from top three to a playoff position.. TJ was.

In the same way, Tayo was the best left back at the club. But it took until the last six weeks for MA to realise that he was better than Bramall.

Both Poole and Bramall have a lot to prove come August. I'm not at all saying that they will not become stalwarts of the team this season. Just that they have a lot to prove yet.
So you’ve forgotten that Bridcutt, Grant and Sanders were injured and Jones wasn’t in great form leaving Tayo needing to play in midfield, a position he filled very well.
If only you were our manager instead of MApp!