Everton just 2 points | Page 3 | Vital Football

Everton just 2 points

I’d argue you’re being a bit inconsistent here, Pope. You’ve often sighted clubs having more resources and spending power than us when defending some of our previous losses against other clubs. Does spending money not make a difference then?
Maybe so.

It's more an argument I make about the level of achievement though.

It's the old CP classic. For him, anything a club achieves is undermined by how much money it took them to achieve it.

In fairness, I accept that that is not what Wolfie was talking about, so fair comment; i'm talking about the wrong thing here

Maybe so.

It's more an argument I make about the level of achievement though.

It's the old CP classic. For him, anything a club achieves is undermined by how much money it took them to achieve it.

In fairness, I accept that that is not what Wolfie was talking about, so fair comment; i'm talking about the wrong thing here

I agree with that, but I also think Luton’s spend and playing squad is no where near premier league… ON PAPER. If we’d gone down with that squad last year, the narrative would 100% have been ‘well yeah we have a mid table championship team - what do we expect?’

They’ve created siege mentality and whilst they’re very fortunate to potentially prosper off the back of two rivals losing points, they’ve done exceptionally well to be in a position where they’re in with a chance.

Sadly, it’s very hard to see their last minute winners or equalizers every week and believe they’ll still go down

I agree with that, but I also think Luton’s spend and playing squad is no where near premier league… ON PAPER. If we’d gone down with that squad last year, the narrative would 100% have been ‘well yeah we have a mid table championship team - what do we expect?’

They’ve created siege mentality and whilst they’re very fortunate to potentially prosper off the back of two rivals losing points, they’ve done exceptionally well to be in a position where they’re in with a chance.

Sadly, it’s very hard to see their last minute winners or equalizers every week and believe they’ll still go down
I think they've done it tactically.

You have a couple of players, most notably Ross Barkley, who have somehow dropped out of fashion in the PL and are thriving being big fish in a small pond. The club's achievement is getting the best out of them.

Then they have players like Doughty, Bell, Adebayo, Morris who are championship players. But their tactics have caught PL teams out. They are extremely aerial. They only things they are good at is being extremely physical and bombarding the box with quality crosses and causing chaos.

But PL teams are not used to those tactics. I thought PL teams would adapt to this much quicker, but they haven't. It's catching them out constantly. Luton concede the sort of goals you would expect a shit relegation team to; but they are scoring far more because of this aerial bombardment and chaos making.

Essentially, they have done a Wimbledon. And it may well keep them up at our expense.

I actually think it could keep them up again as well. PL sides just aren't adapting and if they could get PL quality in their back three, they could establish themselves.

The problem would be in being able to pick up PL quality players who can do what they want them to. Top class players don't really play that way. You need pickups from the football league and that's much harder

I think they've done it tactically.

You have a couple of players, most notably Ross Barkley, who have somehow dropped out of fashion in the PL and are thriving being big fish in a small pond. The club's achievement is getting the best out of them.

Then they have players like Doughty, Bell, Adebayo, Morris who are championship players. But their tactics have caught PL teams out. They are extremely aerial. They only things they are good at is being extremely physical and bombarding the box with quality crosses and causing chaos.

But PL teams are not used to those tactics. I thought PL teams would adapt to this much quicker, but they haven't. It's catching them out constantly. Luton concede the sort of goals you would expect a shit relegation team to; but they are scoring far more because of this aerial bombardment and chaos making.

Essentially, they have done a Wimbledon. And it may well keep them up at our expense.

I actually think it could keep them up again as well. PL sides just aren't adapting and if they could get PL quality in their back three, they could establish themselves.

The problem would be in being able to pick up PL quality players who can do what they want them to. Top class players don't really play that way. You need pickups from the football league and that's much harder
This is not really how Luton play.

Only a small example, but Morris ran around lots of the Bournemouth players and curled a shot onto the post.

Clark dribbled through the middle of the park.
Bit of a scramble on the edge of their box, and he slipped one in the far side of their goal.

The winner, was a whipped/low cross, that Morris out-muscled their defender to score.

Hardly some hoofball, "Wimbledon style" aerial assault.

Perhaps its Bournemouth, and they just suit the way Luton operate; but look at their goals in the 4-3...not one where they were overly physical, just slick passing and precise movements leading to quality goals.

So, in actuality, selling their style to higher quality, but similar, players is probably hampered by their name and the amount they could shell out in wages or amortisation, rather than the project.

Their limitation, much like ours, is their defence. They'll have no problems scoring goals - and good quality goals at that - but keeping them will be their achilles heel.
Whatever, its going to be a lot closer than some think here.

This is not really how Luton play.

Only a small example, but Morris ran around lots of the Bournemouth players and curled a shot onto the post.

Clark dribbled through the middle of the park.
Bit of a scramble on the edge of their box, and he slipped one in the far side of their goal.

The winner, was a whipped/low cross, that Morris out-muscled their defender to score.

Hardly some hoofball, "Wimbledon style" aerial assault.

Perhaps its Bournemouth, and they just suit the way Luton operate; but look at their goals in the 4-3...not one where they were overly physical, just slick passing and precise movements leading to quality goals.

So, in actuality, selling their style to higher quality, but similar, players is probably hampered by their name and the amount they could shell out in wages or amortisation, rather than the project.

Their limitation, much like ours, is their defence. They'll have no problems scoring goals - and good quality goals at that - but keeping them will be their achilles heel.
Whatever, its going to be a lot closer than some think here.
A lot of their goals do come that way - 14 of them headed. Only Arsenal (who scored a lot more goals) have more headed goals. It's 1/3 of their total, compared with only 1/4 of ours and 1/5 of Arsenal's.

Obviously that doesn't account then for the number that are scored by a knock on from a cross, which looks to me like it accounts for even more

So yes, of course out of 45 goals they score a variety. But the stats do show that what I said has validity

Regardless of how they play or points dedcutions - if they stay up they will have performed an absolute miracle

They were the most nailed on of any team to get relegated at start of the season

Let's hope the miracle doesn't involve us going down instead

I love a crusty Birdseye fish finger.
Next time you are in Alfreton, instead of speeding up, nip into the chippy that used to be Blockbuster video, and they sell battered beef burgers. Mention me and you'll get a free hand-job

They are fantastic with a 2005 Château Palmer.

Next time you are in Alfreton, instead of speeding up, nip into the chippy that used to be Blockbuster video, and they sell battered beef burgers. Mention me and you'll get a free hand-job

Alfreton's a bit boujee for my blood.

Do they have a joint down ilson?

Free Hand Job!

You have obviously been visiting the Thai massage parlour next door.

Yes, I can see it now...."just popping out for a battered Beefburger, be back in a hour"

Flying in the face of PSR, Luxury taxes (dead in the water), Luton's hoofball, 787 max crashing, and the like...

...the clique approved news dispenser cum-huri-yet state the good guys are looking to upgrade on Yates with a "high-quality" fella whos plays in Belgium AND the same team as the (Felipe level of sexiness) ex-forest man zinkernagel!

Belgium top-flight? Right...
Strengths listed as passing and defending? Roger...
Nothing similar to our record-breaking midfield dynamo, Sangare??

Hows that for a transposition of data :)

The money we've spent compared to them we shouldn't even be taking about Luton right now

We should be 20 points clear of them

You are right. The problem isn't that we've had four points deducted, it's that unlike Fulham and Bournemouth, we haven't kicked into the middlish clubs for all the money we've spent.

Both those clubs spent plenty over the six seasons, two relegations and promotions to manage what we have achieved in two. I expect Fulham and Bournemouth to struggle next year as they are up to spend limit re ffp and squads are getting older. They are middling because bottom of league are poor, points deducted and stale.